AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Wire Number Formats By Layer -- always "GND" desired

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pmccutcheon
571 Views, 5 Replies

Assign Wire Number Formats By Layer -- always "GND" desired

Our goal or idea here was to always have the ground wires just "numbered" as "GND".

We don't need a sequence number

Normally, we do number all the other wires, and this works fine. (%S%N format)

We attempted to assign a wire number by layer to over-ride the default

-created a special GND layer

-turned on "ASSIGN WIRE NUMBER FORMATS BY LAYER" and created a "rule" for the GND layer

-the format is just "GND"

When we ran a test, you can see it still appends some kind of number to the GND layers

-we get GND0, GND1, GND2, GND3 instead of expected GND,GND,GND,GND

-but it doesn't match our default

?Looks like a bug? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: pmccutcheon

I seem to remember seeing this come up before, and IIRC this is intended behavior. We do the same thing with our grounds here, they're all labeled the same. Doing this really causes problems if you like to use the automatic wire numbering features.

The best advice I can give for that is, before doing an automatic wire number command, go through each drawing and give each ground wire a fixed number 'GND'. The second one of those you do, you'll get a dialog box telling you that it's a duplicate number, with a suggestion for a new number. Select 'Ignore' and also be sure to hit the button that allows you to not see that warning anymore - it will be suppressed for the rest of the session. Then, the rest of the grounds come easy. I usually do this with CTRL+C/CTRL+V to make it go faster. Once that's done, I can do an automatic wire number command without worrying about my grounds.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 6
pmccutcheon
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Yes, we are currently doing as you say (basically fixing wire numbers to "GND"). We were looking for a "more automatic" method.
An alternative to fixing is to use SRC-DST codes, then you just have to fix "GND" once. Again a little extra work.
Message 4 of 6
jseefdrumr

yeah unfortunately, everything we can do as a workaround for this adds steps.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 6
rhesusminus

I've got no problems achieving the wire number "GND" for all wires of wire type "GND", using the "by layer"-rules.

I'm running AcadE 2020. What version are you running?

Can you try to uncomment this setting in the wd.env file?

2019-11-24_19-41-58.png

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 6
pmccutcheon
in reply to: rhesusminus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report