AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE2022 error: .dwt Invalid file name?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
tcoppens84SWP
1111 Views, 19 Replies

ACADE2022 error: .dwt Invalid file name?

Hello All, 

I wanted to make a new template for an info sheet we want to use for our drawings. I opened up an existing .dwt, added the info, and went to save it as a different .dwt when it said it has an invalid file name. I don't have any special characters in the name. What's going on here?

tcoppens84SWP_0-1649771001599.png

I can copy a .dwt file and rename it to what I want, and ACADE will open that new .dwt file, but it will not save. It will save an existing .dwt file as a .dwg file.

I'm sensing a "how did they make the first anvil before they had anvils" kind of situation.

***THE POST TITLE HAS BEEN EDITED FOR CLARITY***

Labels (4)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jseefdrumr
in reply to: tcoppens84SWP

I'm not able to reproduce this. If I introduce special characters, I get a different dialog box. I can save a template with the exact same name (excepting the path, of course).

When you're saving to the .dwt format, how exactly are you doing that? Are you selecting 'Save As Type' in the dialog box?

Are you seeing any other issues when you save files to that specific location?

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 20
rhesusminus

Do you have read and WRITE access to the root of the L:\ drive?

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 20
jseefdrumr

I thought of that too, Trond, and I tried to save direct to a drive where I don't have write permissions ... I got a different dialog box than the OP.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 5 of 20

I've been using the normal "Save Drawing As" dialog, and choosing "AutoCAD Drawing Template (*.dwt)" as the file type. As for the read/write permissions, I'm able to save and access other files inside the root L:/ drive, so I would assume I have both. 

I was able to save the template I needed using AutoCAD LT. It had no problem saving in that same location.

Message 6 of 20
jseefdrumr

Well, if it's working in LT but not in ACADE, that implies that it's not related to your operating system or anything else on your machine. The other side of that coin is...perhaps its just your ACADE install.

Occasionally a command or tool goes wonky and just loses its functionality. It's a thing, unfortunately, but there are some things to try. Go in this order, and check between each step to see if this is still happening. Back up any customizations first.

1. reset to defaults (found in the Start menu)

2. repair the software (go through the process of uninstalling, you'll see this option along the way)

3. reinstall

4. uninstall/reinstall

If the problem still persists after the first two steps, though, post back before doing the last two. IMO doing a reinstall is a bit much...perhaps we can troubleshoot further, or another forum user will come up with an idea.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 7 of 20

I reset my defaults, backing up my customizations first. It was still happening after this.

I tried to repair the software, but the only options were to uninstall, or to install other Autodesk stuff I don't need. 

I'll wait to see if there's anything else to try before reinstalling.

Message 8 of 20
rhesusminus

Is there any difference if you run Acade "As Administrator" ?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 9 of 20
tcoppens84SWP
in reply to: rhesusminus

For some reason when I run as an administrator, I cannot see any of my network locations in the ACADE file browser. I have many catalog, footprint, and schematic files stored on our company network. I can normally view and edit these just fine when not running as an admin. Could this have something to do with it?
Message 10 of 20
rhesusminus

When running as administrator, you're actually running as a different user. So, that user might not have those drives mapped up. Just worth a try 😕
You should be able to access the network location using the UNC path... Are you able to do so?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 11 of 20
pendean

I'd love to see the pop-up before the one you posted in your first post: I suspect that's where the problem actually resides. And better explain what "Drive L" is exactly.

better yet, record it all as a video using this freebie so we can see what you are doing for ourselves https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast

Message 12 of 20

https://autode.sk/3jW3anV

Here's just about everything I've been talking about having issues with. 

Message 13 of 20
jseefdrumr

This is certainly very weird. A broader search on the interwebs wasn't very helpful either. I have some questions here as I grasp at straws ... I know you've tried some of these just let me know what the results were.

*I'm assuming other programs can save to that location without issue, is that correct?

*can you save non-dwt ACAD files to that location, like dws or dxf?

*can you save dwg files specifically to that location?

*if so, what happens if you manually edit 'dwg' to be 'dwt' via Windows File Explorer?

*check the windows file association for dwt - i.e. what program is assigned to open it? If it's not ACADE or ACAD, make it so and see if that ch ch ch ch changes anything (sorry, couldn't resist lol)

I'm not sure which, if any, of these questions might be relevant. But, after seeing the video I think it's time to try and think outside the box a little.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 14 of 20
tcoppens84SWP
in reply to: jseefdrumr

@jseefdrumr 

• I'm assuming other programs can save to that location without issue, is that correct?
    • I could save a Word document to that same location without issue.
  • can you save non-dwt ACAD files to that location, like dws or dxf?
    • Yes, I can save both dws and dxf files there through ACADE.
  • can you save dwg files specifically to that location?
    • Yes, with ACADE.
  • if so, what happens if you manually edit 'dwg' to be 'dwt' via Windows File Explorer?
    • It gives me a warning that it may become unusable, but after I change it, I can access it as normal.
  • check the windows file association for dwt - i.e. what program is assigned to open it? 
    • the program listed next to .dxf is "AutoCAD Application" (I assume this is ACADE since ACADLT is another option)

@rhesusminus I'm afraid that's outside my area of expertise... I don't know how to do that.

Message 15 of 20
pendean

@tcoppens84SWP wrote:

@jseefdrumr 

• if so, what happens if you manually edit 'dwg' to be 'dwt' via Windows File Explorer?
    • It gives me a warning that it may become unusable, but after I change it, I can access it as normal.

That's normal Windows behavior when renaming file extensions. It means nothing except as a reminder to be careful.

Message 16 of 20
pendean

Thanks for the informative video: share with us a screenshot of your ABOUT command pop-up please.

Message 17 of 20
jseefdrumr

Thanks for the answers. They are more or less exactly what I expected, unfortunately 😞

@pendean is pretty good at this type of troubleshooting, hopefully there's something to what they're chasing because I'm totally perplexed.

In the meantime, you may be stuck with manually renaming the extension, as a work-around, until we figure this out.

This is really just .... odd.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 18 of 20

@pendean 

tcoppens84SWP_0-1650488926030.png

@jseefdrumr 

I never knew you could make a .dwg a .dwt just by changing the extension. Today I learned. 

Message 19 of 20
pendean

Well... You'll need to escalate this to Autodesk Support and allow them to access your PC remotely to do some digging:  start a support ticket through your subscription portal as explained here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options#:~....

Message 20 of 20
jseefdrumr

Technically there's no real difference between a dwg and a dwt ... when you open a dwt ACAD automatically makes it a dwg. I really think the difference in file extension names is more for us, the users, rather than the software.

Jim Seefeldt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report