Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep my points from moving?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
patrickclark
462 Views, 20 Replies

How do I keep my points from moving?

I'm strugling trying to find a way to eliminate the chance for points to be moved with simple autocad commands, picks or drags. I know it could be done with locking them or the layer they are on, but then I can rotate them or change the style, depending on the locking method. It seemed like LDT had this nailed with the "ALLOW POINTS TO BE MOVE'D IN DRAWING" setting, but C3d seems to left this one behind. I have looked in to survey database, but it not being dynamic has strayed me away from it.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: patrickclark

Patrick,

Does the "Lock Points" / "Unlock Points" option on
the right click of a point or point group not work for you? This prevents the
point from moving but allows it to be rotated.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Civil 3D Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 21
patrickclark

Thanks Peter, but I want to be able to rotate and change styles, without having to unlock. Edited by: patrickclark on Apr 14, 2009 2:15 PM
Message 4 of 21

I think you may want to look into using the Survey Database to store your points.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

You can change the style and rotate locked points.
You just can't change their location.

Peter Funk

Civil 3D Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 21
patrickclark

please read my entire posting.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

That is another option, but the post was a request
to lock the points just like they are locked in LDT, and the Lock/Unlock command
does exactly that. It locks the location of the point in the drawing file - just
like LDT.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 21

I was also reading his post in the wishes, and I guess I don't quite get what he wants. He also wants to share the points between drawings, which this doesn't get him.
Message 9 of 21

Does the Automatic Update option for survey points not remove points that have been deleted from the survey database?
Message 10 of 21
patrickclark

I can not. I'm running 2009 with Version 2 sp.
Whenever I lock points, either through points or point groups, I lose the function of being able to change their style.

does this work for others?
Message 11 of 21
patrickclark

I don't think I have played with that setting yet, but I know when I do a standard update, they do not delete or notify me of points that are in my drawing but not the SD.
Message 12 of 21
patrickclark

I am trying to find a solution for using points in C3D, so I am curently looking at different methods.
I was thinking the SD was going to be the solution, but now not so hot on it.
Sharing points between drawings is important too.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

you can lock a point group which locks the ability to
alter the point group properties data.

you can lock / unlock the points within a group

you can lock an individual point also...
when in panorama (spreadsheet view) you can right click
to unlock the point, then change the style and right click again to relock

"patrickclark" wrote in message news:6162311@discussion.autodesk.com...
I don't think I have played with that setting yet, but I know when I do a
standard update, they do not delete or notify me of points that are in my
drawing but not the SD.
Message 14 of 21
patrickclark

I don't want to have to unlock it to change the style, I am afraid it will not always get locked afterwards. Too many steps.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

now, it's been a long day at work. and i thought i'd just put some comical mention in here but...

maybe...

don't move the points? 😄

when this popped up in my Discussion group update, it made me laugh a little because it just read "How do I keep my points from moving?" and my thought was "Well, you just don't move them"

Really, I hope you get the answer, but I hope you get a good chuckle from my perspective.
Message 16 of 21
patrickclark

I hear you david and thanks for the comic relief, and i wish all our techs and engineers would do everything we tell them to and not anything we tell them not to do, but it happens.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

With the points locked, you can change the
style(s) assigned in the point group, just not on an individual basis (as can be
seen at
href="http://screencast.com/t/BHJ57vJD">http://screencast.com/t/BHJ57vJD
.)
Are you changing one at a time, or multiple points? How are the initial styles
applied, through groups or with description keys?

What's your issue with the survey database?
You've said so far that you don't like it, but why?

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
can not. I'm running 2009 with Version 2 sp. Whenever I lock points, either
through points or point groups, I lose the function of being able to change
their style. does this work for others?
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Sorry I missed changing the style of the point when
it is locked. After looking at it again, I think this is the way that it should
work. If the point is locked, then you don't want people to change the
data (I don't consider display rotation a change). You can change the style
of the point group that the style belongs to. Plus, if you do need to change the
style of the point, you could always unlock it.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Civil 3D Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 21
KirkNoonan

Sounds to me like the survey database is exactly what you're looking for. I'm not sure I understand what it is you don't like about it. What do you mean by not dynamic? If you don't want your points to move, wouldn't not being dynamic be a plus?
Our survey department creates points in the survey database. They have full read / write access to the location of the database. The engineering department has read only access to the database location. The can still drop the points and figures they need into their drawings, but it is impossible for them to modify the database. When the survey department changes the points, figures, etc., it updates in the engineering drawing the next time they reopen or update. The engineering department retains full control over the point display in their drawings. Maybe I've totally missed your point, in which case sorry it's early.
Message 20 of 21
patrickclark

I think locking a point should still allow for the style to be changed. Being able to change the style of an object easily and have it happen automatically is a big feature or benifit to C3d. So why do I have to unlock them first? I see the reason for the lock function being to stop someone from accidently moving it, which is very easy. Changing a style can not be done on accident, at least it would be pretty hard, so why not let us change a style while it is locked. A simple don't allow points to be moved variable would work just fine as well, then there would be no need for a lock. Or if you could change a style of a point on a layer that is locked, that would work too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report