AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xclip of xreference turned into a block

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kgm2535
606 Views, 4 Replies

xclip of xreference turned into a block

my xreference file is not up to date with current drawing. it doesnot show up as an attached file

when I go to reattach the file it says that it is a block already in drawing

is there a way to remove the block status and reinsert an xref to be so that it can be clipped

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: kgm2535

If you're just using AutoCAD techniques, then use the blocktoxref Express Tools command. Otherwise, if you want to use the project navigator delete and purge the block out of the drawing. Then use PN to add the construct to the view or the view to the sheet.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch

It sounds as though your externally referenced DWG file was bound into the file, converting it to an internal Block Reference.

You can:

• Use the RENAME command to rename the Block Reference to something other than the name of the external file, so that the external file can be externally referenced.
  • Delete all instances of the Block Reference and then PURGE the block definition from your file.  You should then be able to externally reference the file.

Do the first option if you need to maintain the location and clip extents of the bound version so that it can be used as a guide when positioning and clipping after externally referencing the file.  Once the external reference is set up the way you want, you can delete the bound block references and then purge the block definition.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
kgm2535
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hi Dave

renaming the block and purging the block worked
what did you mean about deleting all block references
I used layer not involved in the xref to locate the floor plans when repositioning the xref

thanks
kevin
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch

@kgm2535 wrote:
Hi Dave

renaming the block and purging the block worked
what did you mean about deleting all block references
I used layer not involved in the xref to locate the floor plans when repositioning the xref

thanks
kevin

@kgm2535

Either renaming or purging should have worked.  If you were able to purge the block definition, then there must not have been any instances of the block definition in the file to be deleted.  I was assuming that the originally externally referenced file was bound and that there was still at least one instance in the file.

For what it is worth:  you can also use XCLIP on Block References (internally defined).  It is not restricted to externally referenced files.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report