AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPACES & WINDOWS/DOORS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
556 Views, 6 Replies

SPACES & WINDOWS/DOORS

HI FOLKS

I have a 3D Space named BEDROOM with a [basearea] of 5m2
i have a WINDOW (in a wall of the bedroom) that is has an area 0.12m2 [width]x[height]

Is there a way that i can associate the window to the space and remove the area of one from the other? and have them represented in the same schedule. 

At the moment, i have a space schedule with the areas and then a window schedule with the area and one must compare them manually. 
I would like to automate this process.

This is used for illumination and ventilation  calculations. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

You should be able to add a Location property to an object-based Property Set that applies to Windows and have it read the desired area property from the Space.  You could then include a formula property that could calculate the ratio of Window area to Space area, if desired.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 7
leothebuilder

A bedroom with a base area of 5 square meters? That's more the size of a closet.

That is very small. You should check what your local building code requires as minimum area for a habitable room. (probably will be around 9 or 10 square meters minimum) Same as the window size. Most codes I know require at least 10% of floor area so the size should probably around 1 square meter.

A window 0.12 square meters in area is way too small.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

THANKS A MILLION DAVID!!!!! 
Thats worked a treat! ALMOST., 

So ive done it as a window schedule with location to space, which unfortunately doesn't work for rooms that are in the middle of a house (without external windows) as the space is not included in the calculation without a window.. for the likes of mechanical ventilation for instance. But it works a HECK of a lot better than it was before... 
Any tips on how to include for rooms like a laundry (in a cupboard) that still requires ventilation by law? 
Perhaps this could be overcome with a window style with an override for mechanical ventilation, placed off plan but with location dragged to laundry?

Message 5 of 7
David_W_Koch

How would you calculate that manually?  Would the interior area be assigned a portion of a "nearby" window for ventilation purposes, or would the area of the interior room be added to that of adjoining room(s) until an exterior room with a window was part of the chain of rooms?

If the latter is the case, you could use a Zone to collect the area of multiple Spaces, but you cannot use a Location property to bring the value of a property attached to a Zone into a Window's property set.  If there are not a lot of these, you could add an AEC Polygon that encompasses all of the Spaces and then set up a separate Location property to bring in the AEC Polygon area property value.  That would be extra work, and it would be even more work (and perhaps a little tricky) if you need to keep all of the area values in one column, whether Space or AEC Polygon based.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

both are acceptable solutions (according to code in NZ) combining spaces is certainly a good option. I would normally tackle it with mechanical ventilation with a basic home, but combined space could also work very well. perhaps creating an entirely new space that encompasses the combined spaces, in this instance, for Laundry and entrance (being close together). 
OR if using combined spaces, there is a window (or more specifically an opening requirement) between the two spaces anyway, so it would revert back to the origeonal idea youve posted with the exception of having one 3D space to cover both rooms?

Im loving this Location idea.. Very Grateful David for your assistance !!! 

Message 7 of 7
David_W_Koch

Be aware that AutoCAD Architecture does not provide any control over which of two or more coincindental or overlapping Spaces a Location grip will find, if all are at the same insertion point Z-coordinate.  Location grips look "down" (negative Z-direction) and will latch onto the first Space (or, if the associated property applies to AEC Polygons, AEC Polygon) it finds.  If multiple potential Spaces or AEC Polygons at the same level are encountered first, one will be selected, but there is no way to control which one.  (Putting the Spaces on different layers and freezing all but one will have no effect.)

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost