AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use Architectural or Revit do design these towers?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ben52ZTY
374 Views, 5 Replies

Should I use Architectural or Revit do design these towers?

Hi

I have been tasked with designing walkways/towers similar to the attached images. I have used ACAD, Inventor and 3DS Max for many years but am looking for the most efficient way to design these structures. If it means learning something new that's great I just want the  best way to do it, although I'm not an architect. I have access to a full suite of Autodesk products including Architectural and Revit so if someone could tell me how an expert would tackle this that would be great. Thanks Ben

Tower 3D.jpg

Tower Elevation.jpg

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dbroad
in reply to: ben52ZTY

If you've never used either program (ACA or Revit), both will be extremely challenging to learn.  Both have ramps, stairs, columns, railings, structural framing, roofs, footings, and a display management system.  Both could be used. It looks as though you've already modeled it though.  Be sure to hire an engineer.  Neither program will do the structural engineering for you.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 6
ben52ZTY
in reply to: dbroad

Hi Thank you for taking the time to respond. The tower shown was designed by an outside company and yes a structural engineer will be on hand to do the calculations. I accept they'll be challenging to learn but if I could just go back to my original question, would you recommend one over the other for these specific tower designs? Thanks

Message 4 of 6
pendean

@ben52ZTY Go here instead, i's designed for noobs that need to perform quickly vs. learning a program for a year or more first, you don't need either complex program you seem fixated on https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-pro

Message 5 of 6
R_Tweed

It depends on how you plan to present the material and how many revisions you anticipate during the design process.  I'm not an expert in Revit, but I know it shines in that respect.  The example shown can be easily modeled in ACA and modified fairly easily as well.  It would be easier to answer the question of how can I model this using ACA rather than which is more efficient. Both programs are efficient if you are familiar with the way they work.

Message 6 of 6
ben52ZTY
in reply to: R_Tweed

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I decide to quickly learn ACA and have produced my first design. It's worked really well for what I needed and am now eager to dive a bit deeper into it.

Thanks

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report