AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S L O WWW

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
741 Views, 12 Replies

S L O WWW

Why is ACA so dang slow? 

Just trying to draw a line for example.  Start the command and there is a pause 3-5 seconds. 

I turn off properties and the problem goes away.  Guess what?  We use the properties pallete a lot! 

There must be some solution.

ACA2011

Win7 64,

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

3G ram

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Anonymous

My guess would be inadequate memory.  I wouldn't try to run ACA on a 64 bit system with less than 4 GB of RAM and more would be highly recommended.  On my system with one drawing open, a browser running, and Thunderbird for email. I show 4.5 GB in use and another 2.6 GB on standby.  I have no noticable delay for most commands.

Core i7 Q720 @1.6 GHz

12 GB RAM

Win 7 64 bit

ATI Firepro M7820

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Yes and I would likely agree very much except that it is a recent problem. 

Message 4 of 13
John.W.Mumaw

Well I assume that this is with all files not just with a single file.  Did anything change recently with your system?  Do you have plenty of hard drive space?  With only 3 GB of RAM your system is marginal for 64 bit Win 7 and it wouldn't take much to make ACA perform poorly.  Here's a link to a document that has lots of tips to speed up AutoCAD.  http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/360/25412/1/SPEED%20UP%20AUTOCAD%205-18-10....

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

First I scanned for viruses. Then did a repair installation of acad. no change.  then I installed a few windows updates that I had neglected and it seems to be working fine now. 

I know I need more memory and I will address that soon.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Now SAVE takes a long time.  I changed the incremental save % to 50.  No  change.  My file size is only 723 kb. The last Qsave took 19 seconds.

I have 150 G of free space on HD.  I suspect some file pathing problem maybe?

Message 7 of 13
pendean

Slow SAVEs are a low-memory issue (your pagefile must be huge): I'm curious though what changed on your system if this is just a recent occurance, it was hard to judge from your posts so far.

Try to eliminate any and all running apps in the background and see if that helps.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I closed acad.  went to temp file (2600 files!) deleted about half. restarted computer.  only started acad and the situation improved, now a qsave takes 5-6 seconds.

Could it have been the temp file folder?  ?pagefile? tell me more.

Message 9 of 13
pendean

Yep, that would fix it too: your system temp folder should be emptied regularly. Back in the day a lot of plotting issues were resolved with this quick fix too. Do you crash often, or add and remove freeware or other apps regularly? regular use of Windows for a prolonged time will fill that folder up too.

There are many quality programs that will tame these basic Windows limitations for you, explore and use them occasionally.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I use this lips file

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Windows 7 x64 runs like a dog at anything less than 6GB of RAM. The other issue i see is that you have not taken into account how much memory Windows 7 x64 needs to operate efficently. 

When figuring out how much memory you need in your computer for your applicatons you always need to factor in how much memory your operating system needs to run by itself first. I see this happening all the time, even with users who run Office 2010 on their Windows 7 machines. Office needs a minium of 2GB of RAM and thats just to open one app a time..

A.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

I have the same problem.

It started a copule of months ago.

I use ACA 2008 on Windows XP.

ACA works so slowly on the print window especially when trying to choose and chane CTB or previewing.

How can I clean the Temp folder?

Thanks

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

run %temp% and erase what you find.

Again I noticed slow saves with the qsave command.  I did a saveas and it seems to have cleared up the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report