AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quanset Hut

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tevansERD
3388 Views, 10 Replies

Quanset Hut

Anyone have any suggestions on how to draw a quanset hut in ACA, setting up a wallstyle etc? I have a client that is looking at remodeling one that needs me to prepare a presentation drawing for a meeting. Of all of the wall style i have created I have never ran across this situation.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MarySeufert
in reply to: tevansERD

Seeing as how Quonset Huts are basically a half circle roof, not true walls, I would suggest using either a roof object created from an extruded solid, or the solid itself. Solid objects might be easier in a presentation scenario. 

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 11
tevansERD

Thanks Mary, I will look at the Roof object approach since I also have to produce construction drawings for the remodel. I have attached a picture of the building that I have to draw.

Message 4 of 11
MarySeufert

See attached (ACA2012) Since you need IPs not just a nice model, you could create a wall with a sweep, and a roof slab on top of it, or convert the whole roof solid/slab into a wall. The first migh be best for display reps.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 5 of 11
KathyMoffa

An easy way is to use the Barrel Vault Mass to create the roof.  Draw a second smaller barrel vault inside the first and subtract it from the larger barrel vault.  Convert it to a roof slab.  Draw your front and rear walls and project the walls to the roof line.   You can also draw an arch to your exact dimensions; offset to get your deph (the smaller one needs to extend past both ends), then subtract as above.  Fun project!

Message 6 of 11
tevansERD
in reply to: KathyMoffa

What about drawing a curved wall then "laying it down" with 3d rotate?

Message 7 of 11
KathyMoffa

The problem with rotating the wall is that your plan view will not be shown correctly.  Here's a quick one that I just did by drawing a polyline, offesetting and connecting the two, then converting to a mass.   I using ACA2012.

Message 8 of 11
GRandall

Use structural members. As the walla are the structural metal part it is only fitting. I've attached 3 pictures showing the result.

Message 9 of 11
GRandall
in reply to: GRandall

In addition walls auto-trim to the structural members.

Message 10 of 11
tevansERD
in reply to: GRandall

interesting approach but makes sense. I will create the custom structural member style and play with it.

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I am in the process of trying to create a 20 x 24 quonset hut drawing in inventor. i have the basic  steel arch rib frame members but am not sure how to srt the cross brace members. How is your project going?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report