AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to schedule the rotation of a MV Block insertion?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
robincapperw
620 Views, 7 Replies

No way to schedule the rotation of a MV Block insertion?

I was looking to schedule the insert location and rotation of a MV Block, It has a location properties for x,y,z and rotation in the palette but that is not seen in the available MV Block properties when creating a property set. Have tried the Block and MInsert rotation properties (both have them) but they do not report the MV Block. 

Only workaround is to explode to blocks, but the plan block does not have the same name as the MV Block so that breaks another part of a process!

Anyone else tried this, found another answer?

2019-09-10_14-00-51.png

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: robincapperw

Seems like an oversight, to me; rotation should definitely have been an Automatic Property for Multi-View Block References.  I doubt they will add it now.  Fortunately, you can use a formula property to grab the value from the object's data.  In the example below, I converted the raw value, in radians, to degrees, because I have never been able to wrap my head around radians, particularly when expressed in decimal format.  If radians suit your use, you could leave out the first line (where pi is defined, to an unreasonable number of decimal places) and then drop multiplying the value obtained from the object by 180 and dividing by pi.

pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383
Set acadApp = GetObject(,"AutoCAD.Application")
Set mvbObj   = acadApp.ActiveDocument.ObjectIDToObject( [ObjectID] )
RESULT = CDbl(mvbObj.Rotation * 180.0 / pi)

You will need to include an instance of the ObjectID automatic property in your Property Set Definition, and make [ObjectID] a reference to that property.  I have also attached a sample file with the above in use; pardon the imperial units (which have no impact on the Rotation property).  The file is in AutoCAD 2018 file format.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 8
robincapperw
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Awesome and thank you!

I suppose not having needed this, using the app since 2001'ish, indicates it is rather niche!

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
Message 4 of 8
David_W_Koch

Found an alternate way to calculate pi, in an old blog post of mine that did not come through in my earlier searches.  You may prefer this:

pi = 4 * Atn( 1.0 )

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8
robincapperw

Thanks David!

https://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2019/09/the-power-of-community-and-connection.html

Robin
Message 6 of 8
Garga

hi david,

the answer is little bit old but I have similar problem.

in Autocad Architecture I have

room name,

room number

and room size in one mv block.

when I rotate layout 180°  room name, number and size is no more horzintal, stays on head. Is there a way to solve this? I want, mv block should stay horizontal if I rotate the Layout.MVBlockproblem.png

Message 7 of 8
jtm2020hyo

How everyone have the "Rotate" option for MV-Block?

here my version:

jtm2020hyo_0-1639843221655.png

here your file Mr.@David_W_Koch 

jtm2020hyo_1-1639843250349.png

Message 8 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jtm2020hyo

@jtm2020hyo 

Looks like you opened my file, selected one of the chairs and changed it to a Room Tag Multi-View Block.  That tag is not anchored to a Space.  I suspect that in your file, the Room Tag Multi-View Block is anchored to a Space.  That is the difference. 

ACA treats the unanchored tag as an ordinary Multi-View Block, and will show a rotation property on the Design tab of the Properties palette.  A tag-anchored Multi-View Block (constrained or unconstrained) will not show a rotation property directly on the Design tab, presumably on assumption that you will want an annotative tag to be "right reading" and not rotated at some odd angle (unless, of course, you constrain the tag to the object and opt to also constrain the rotation of the tag to the object).

You can rotate an anchored tag, if you want - just select the Anchor worksheet under BASIC > Location on entity and enter the desired value in the Angle edit box in the Rotation area at the middle-right of the Location dialog.  A little more difficult to get to, but I believe that is by design.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost