AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Named plot style override add new xref layer?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
dramosMRKA9
1220 Views, 11 Replies

Named plot style override add new xref layer?

Hoping someone can assist. 

Typically we plot drawings with monochrome.ctb.

We worked with a consultant who applied some form of plot style override to our xrefs in order to force our layers to plot with AIA Standard.stb. 

We've run into a problem as we've pasted three new layers into one xref, and they will only plot in color. I cannot figure out how to override them so they plot correctly. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
leothebuilder
in reply to: dramosMRKA9

If the drawing has been started with a .ctb drawing template it is impossible to add a .stb plot style override.

Is it possible that your consultant converted the file from .ctb to .stb using the CONVERTCTB command?

Or did they just copy and paste a few additional layers from a .stb based file into your .ctb xref?

If the latter, you should be able to simply assign the line-weight and color (black in your case) per the monochrome .ctb

Message 3 of 12
dramosMRKA9
in reply to: leothebuilder

our xref is inserted into her file with the .stb. 

the layers I've added to our xref are not displaying properly in her file. I do not know how to make the new layers plot with the .stb. 

Message 4 of 12
pendean
Message 5 of 12
dramosMRKA9
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, but not quite what we need.

She's set up all of her drawings to accommodate our .ctb xref. If we change her drawing to a .ctb it won't preserve the lineweights from her .stb.

I just need to know how to make her drawing recognize the three new layers?

Message 6 of 12
leothebuilder

You will have to convert your drawing to .stb or she will have to convert hers to .ctb

If this is a one off occurrence that should not be a problem.

If you intend on working together a lot, best to adopt the same plot style.

Meanwhile, in your file open the Layer Manager and manipulate the three layers in question so they plot they way you want them..........e.g. assign a color/lineweight that works with your .ctb plot style.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I don't know if what you are proposing is possible, but sounds like more trouble than it's worth to me. The thing with using plot styles (CTB or STB) for this kind of thing is that it's a generally a "set it and forget it" situation. I'd dig into the plot styles and use them ... but that just my opinion.

As for printing something tomorrow ... if you don't care about lineweights, you can use the "monochrome.ctb" file that comes with ACAD and it will all be black.

Message 8 of 12
dramosMRKA9
in reply to: Anonymous

I ended up putting the items on the new layers onto layers that were in the base file before she inserted it into her file.

I have no idea what she did, but even trying to rename a layer results in color appearing in paper space. 

Message 9 of 12
David_W_Koch

When she brings your CTB-based file into her STB-based file (whether by insertion or by external reference), your layers will all be assigned the Normal plot style, a non-deletable, non-editable plot style in every STB file which is set to use object settings for everything, including color.  So unless the objects are assigned color 7, they will plot in color.  Assuming that the Plot Style assigned to all main objects is ByLayer, all she needs to do is a assign a plot style from her STB file to those three new layers that has the Color property set to Black.  (One assumes that was done the first time you gave her your drawing, unless she changed the color of all objects to color 7.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 12
dramosMRKA9
in reply to: David_W_Koch

GREAT. This seems like it will work, except...we are not working with her anymore.  Can you explain how to assign a plot style from her STB file to those three new layers that has the Color property set to Black. She definitely doesn't have everything set to color 7 that I can tell. In the layer manager for plot style and vp style, all layers are set to "normal" "thin" "medium" etc. Is there somewhere else besides layer manager where I need to change this?

Message 11 of 12
David_W_Koch

1. At the command line, type PLOTSTYTLE and press the ENTER key.
  2. In the Current Plot Style dialog, the active plot style table will be shown near the bottom.  I assume you have a copy of this plot style file and that it is in your plot styles folder.2019-01-23_ACA2019_CurrentPlotStyle_Editor.png
  3. Select the Editor button.
  4. In the Plot Style Editor dialog, select the Table View tab.  Stretch out the dialog as necessary to see more plot styles at one time.  The image below shows the Aec Standard.stb plot style table.  Your table may have more plot styles.  You can also use the scroll bar near the bottom of the pen table if you have more plot styles than will fit on screen at one time.2019-01-23_PlotStyleTableEditor_AecStandard.png
  5. Note the different plot style names, and the Color assigned to each.  You want plot styles with Black assigned. 
  6. Also note the other properties, particularly Screening and Lineweight. 
  7. Screening controls the plotted "density".  100 plots full intensity (for Black, solid Black).  0 does not add anything to the paper ("white" if you plot to white paper).  Numbers in between offer varying levels of half-toning, resulting in varying levels of gray.
  8. For Lineweight and Linetype, any plot style values that start with Use object will be controlled by the settings in the drawing.  Any explicit settings will overrule any settings in the drawing.  I rarely see Linetype set in the plot style, but verify it is set to Use object linetype.  For Lineweight, if all of the plot styles with Color Black are set to Use object lineweight, then any will do.  If there are explicit lineweights set, then choose one that will give you the lineweight you want.
  9. Select Cancel to close the Plot Style Table editor without making any changes.
  10. Select Cancel to close the Current Plot Style dialog without making any changes.
  11. In the Layer Properties Manager, assign the desired plot styles to your layers.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 12 of 12
dramosMRKA9
in reply to: David_W_Koch

YOU ARE A GENIUS. Thank you SO much for your help with this!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report