AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration to 2025

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
amapostolou
1898 Views, 10 Replies

Migration to 2025

Is there no Migration tool to go from a previous ACA to ACA 2025?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: amapostolou

How old is "previous"?
Did you install ACA2025 yet?
Or are you asking about doing something in now for some future install later?

Or... something else?
Message 3 of 11
amapostolou
in reply to: pendean

I am currently using ACA 2024, have it all setup for myself and the others in our group.  I ran ACA 2025 and didn't get the usual notice that a "previous version was installed, did I want to migrate settings".  Looked in the Start Menu and under ACA 2025 the "Migrate from Previous Version" icon doesn't exist.  But, it exists in the ACA 2024 Start Menu location.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

@amapostolou wrote:

I am currently using ACA 2024, have it all setup for myself and the others in our group.  I ran ACA 2025 and didn't get the usual notice that a "previous version was installed, did I want to migrate settings".  Looked in the Start Menu and under ACA 2025 the "Migrate from Previous Version" icon doesn't exist.  But, it exists in the ACA 2024 Start Menu location.

I don't install newer ACA software this close to release date, I like to let others figure out all the bugs and problems first, perhaps even wait for the inevitable first "required patch", then I jump in.

My guess is going to be one of these two is your likely issue:

1. The installer had an extra step for you to check or seek out to get these goodies. Try a reinstall.

OR

2. ACA2025 is just messed up right this minute and it needs a fix from Autodesk. In which case... Here is how to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup... 

Thanks for being an in-the-field beta-tester for Autodesk 🙂

Message 5 of 11
kbrownF465N

I do know for AutoCAD MEP you should never migrate settings.  Since MEP is built on top of ACA I think it was the same for that product also.  It is possible since AutoCAD 2025 moved from the .NET Framework to just .NET that they removed the option to migrate the settings completly.

Message 6 of 11
yanhan.lim

Hi @amapostolou ,

Thank you for raising your query regarding migration with 2025. 

To circumvent your the issues you are facing currently, you may try to run the migration tool through the following.

Please check to see if you are able to find "AdMigrator.exe" in the following pathway: 
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2025

yanhanlim_0-1712821466656.png

As you have mentioned, typically the migration shortcut would be created in your start menu folder and would also be launched during the first startup of the newly installed product, ACA2025.

To get a better understanding of this issue, may we enquire through which method did you install the product? And other other information regarding any custom installations/ machine setup/ etc. 

Thank you, and we apologize for any inconveniences caused. 

Best regard,
Yanhan

Yanhan Lim
QA Analyst

If a response answers your question, please use ACCEPT SOLUTION to assist other users later.
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 11
amapostolou
in reply to: yanhan.lim

@yanhan.lim 

Thank you for the reply.  IT installed ACA 2025 using this 

amapostolou_0-1712853528178.png

Individual users cannot install software, including updates, per company policy.  I watched the install and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I did find the admigration.exe file in the folder you identified.  I closed ACA 2024 and ran the migration tool.  I got this dialog box.  

amapostolou_1-1712853716483.png

I find it odd that a message like that would appear considering ACA 2020 - 2024 is installed on this work PC.

Again, thank you for replying.

Regards,

Anthony

Message 8 of 11
Sharla
in reply to: pendean

2025 seems to be incredibly buggy, per usual on updates. I only installed it because I was setting up a new computer but I am currently installing 2024. So many fatal errors! 

Message 9 of 11
yanhan.lim

Hi @amapostolou ,

Thanks for your reply, I shall respond to the two matters in parts. 

Start Menu Shortcuts

Thanks for the clarification of install method. Likewise during my testing the web install method (same method as yours) looked normal, and also did create start menu shortcuts. We shall continue to monitor this issue. 
Here is one potential workaround to manually bring shortcuts to the start menu. 

1. Go to the following path:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\AutoCAD Architecture 2025 - English
  2. Go to Migrate Custom Settings
  3. Right-click on "Migrate From a Previous Release"
  4. Select "Pin to Start"

yanhanlim_0-1713175574278.png

Migration Prompt

That is a rather odd prompt considering your installed products does include 2024 and 2025.  

However, in my testing I am able to reproduce that prompt message. In my computer, I have ACA 2024 and ACA 2025 installed. 

If I was to use the admigrator.exe found in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2024" ill get the same prompt. 
yanhanlim_1-1713176254270.png

But if I launched the admigrator.exe found in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2025" or via this shortcut "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\AutoCAD Architecture 2025 - English" the migration window opens successfully. 

yanhanlim_2-1713176382817.png

Could you kindly check if you have launched the correct migrator for ACA2025?

Best regards,

Yanhan Lim

Yanhan Lim
QA Analyst

If a response answers your question, please use ACCEPT SOLUTION to assist other users later.
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 11
amapostolou
in reply to: yanhan.lim

@yanhan.lim 

My apologies for the rather lengthy delay is replying.  I ran AdMigrator.exe from the C;\Program Files\Autodesk\Autocad 2025 folder and got this dialog box ...

amapostolou_0-1716319526062.png

I clicked Yes and nothing happened.  I did NOT get the Migrate Custom Settings dialog that you screenshot before.  I've seen that screen many times before, not this time.

At this point, I'm resigning to the fact that the IT department has our PC's locked down so tightly, the migration isn't going to work.  (We can't even delete icons off our desktop)

Thank you for your assistance.  I will mark this as solved because you have directed me to the right spots for this to work.  It's probably something on our end (IT).

Regards,

Anthony

Message 11 of 11
yanhan.lim

Hi Anthony @amapostolou ,

Not to worry. I appreciate the effort to try the migrator again, it is unfortunate to hear that it did not work. Like you mentioned, it may perhaps have to do with your IT department's policy preventing our migrator from functioning normally. 

Thank you for marking this thread as solved. 

I wish you a great week ahead. 

Regard,

Yanhan

Yanhan Lim
QA Analyst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta