AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning ACA and or Revit

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
DrakeCanyonArchitecture
1027 Views, 8 Replies

Learning ACA and or Revit

I have just been approved through Vocational Rehab so that I can finally get some education. I'm just looking for a little direction. I've read a few posts that suggest that Revit is a much better way to go than AutoCAD Architecture. My main objective is to be able to do work for Architects and Engineers. My questions are:

1. Which program would I be better off learning?
  2. What would be a good online resource for learning? I'm looking for something that teaches a real world application of the software in the design of residential projects from start to finish. 
  3. I also want to learn how to do some renderings. 3DS MAX seems to keep popping up for this. But it looks like Revit does some pretty amazing renderings as well. Would it be smarter to just do everything in Revit? 

Since my education will be funded through Vocational rehab, I'm sure there is a limit to how much they will fund. I appreciate any guidance.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Microsoft Windows 11 Professional
Dell Precision 5870 - x64 based PC - Intel Xeon CPU @ 3.80GHz, 6 Core. 80Gb RAM
Installed Add Ins - Enscape/StrucSoft MWF/LotSpec
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Find out what software the Architects and Engineers in your area (or the area where you plan to eventually work, if that is different) are using.  Absent that knowledge, at this point in time I would recommend learning Revit, if you will only have the resources to learn one modeling program.  Both programs have their pluses and minuses (and serious learning curves), but clearly Autodesk is continuing to develop Revit, while AutoCAD Architecture has become a toolset of AutoCAD, and getting little attention other than making certain that it remains compatible with any changes to the base AutoCAD program.  And from what I see in the architecture profession in the United States, the clear trend is toward Revit.

As for rendering, I have spent my entire career on the construction documents side of things, so others with actual rendering experience will need to provide the expert opinion(s) there.  I will note that fully mastering 3ds Max is a nearly full-time pursuit in and of itself.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Is it possible to make a decent living doing just renders? I would assume it would take some time to find enough work doing just that, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm a little more drawn to that aspect of Architecture mainly because I hate dealing with building departments. 

I did do a job search and there are a lot of employers here in the Phoenix area who are looking for AutoCAD experience. Quite a few mentioned Revit also. I've heard that they county that we live in is the fastest growing county in the US, it's also the largest too so I'm sure that's why. 

Knowing that Revit seems to be the way things are going, that influences my decision a bit. Although I almost hung myself earlier this week after dealing with AutoCAD, I do love the program all in all. Lol. 

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 4 of 9

3. for now yes keep in revit so you can stick with one product for the time being if you need more realistic renders better than revit then you will need to look at something like 3ds max in the future

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 9

Thank you guys for the info, looks like I'll focus on Revit. I think I'll keep going with ACA as well just in case.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 6 of 9

As for me ACA has greater functionality of tools and some times uniqe smart instruments vs Revit(window/window door assambly instruments for example). As I worked I have understood that huge advantage of working with ACA is abuility to program in VBA or VB codes, knowing macro etc. It helps to makes new features...
(For example, I made dynamical tag that takes into count firerate of the buiding division ,spaces name and classes of wall to assigne firerate of wall automaticaly . In case value overrided tag automaticaly signed with brackets , but the brakets don't seen on a blueprints.In case it some mismstch tag signed withe the another "x"sign. It is wery handy for coordination of working process. AND it imposible to make it any other programm!) But Revit have greater potencial of dynamic modeling , heigher and more particular date infill, better 3d engen and visuall programing-DYNAMO. It less complicated and puzled than ACA. It true!!! ACA is quite perplexed program.
In my case knowing of REVIT and ARCHICAD helps me to develop knowlag in ACA. I changed my attitude to designe process in ACA. I Almost don't use generation of 2-D section/elevation . Use 3d elevations and sections. Because tags and keynotes could be apply to layout where composed 3-d model .Tags could indetify elements of model even if layout not editet....well my advaice to learn ACA and REVIT. ACA still wery powerfooexample 1.JPG

Message 7 of 9

Thank you for that input. I just met with a counselor at voc rehab yesterday and it turns out that they are willing to pay for me to get an associates degree. Although I'm just going to do the certification program which includes ACA and Revit fundamentals. The downside is that I can't start school until fall. In the meantime I will continue to try learn ACA on my own as best I can. I do like the program a lot. Man is there a steep learning curve though. I get the actual drawing part of the program just fine, it's the drawing management part of the program that trips me up. 

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 8 of 9

Yes it a bit complicated as I've told already.

I mostly learnt it by myself from manuals ( since 2002 till  now). Later took a lot of information here on the forum and  from the knowledge network. Belive you or not, I still finde new features in ACA even though having huge experiance, because of the forum and knowledge network. I am not from US and there were no any books or information, so  I can't advise you any books for begginer, but  it some tips and tricks that helps me to develop my skills . Nathan  from Australia made some videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCejIvmXGHq_F46oq4vRV4vQ

You have to ask  about studing  @David_W_Koch  he is  real guru.

knowledge network:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2...

P.S. Have to mention that it worth to study VBA codes simultaneously with ACA i missed it and now understand that it great advantage. You can start to study it from HELP file

VBA.jpg

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

To this topic:

Where/How may I learn Revit without too much cost to know if Revit will be worth my while to learn over improving my modeling skills with AutoCAD, which I am familiar with already but in no way am I an expert at modeling and... I wish to be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report