Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions won't associate

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
uwdawgs
3054 Views, 13 Replies

Dimensions won't associate

I'm doing some dimensions to an apparent intersection (using object snap tracking).  I get the yellow exclamation point saying it is a Disassociated Annotation.  I tried to reassociate it, but it still has the yellow exclamation point.  It is a bit annoying, but I decided to just ignore it.  I saved my drawing and then later when I reopened the drawing I noticed the dimension had changed and wasn't going to the apparent intersection point anymore.  Luckily I noticed and fixed it, but I am worried it will happen again.  Any ideas how to associate the dimension or keep it from changing in the future?

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dbroad
in reply to: uwdawgs

I believe that is a program limitation.  Apparent intersections are calculated for a particular projection.  If you make changes to the geometry, you will need to reestablish the location manually.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 14
uwdawgs
in reply to: dbroad

That would be fine if I made changes to the geometry, I would be ok with
having to update the dimensions. The problem is I didn't make any changes,
but the dimension had moved from that apparent intersection to a nearby mid
point.
Message 4 of 14
dbroad

Please post a small drawing that replicates this behavior along with instructions on how to trigger the dimension to move itself.  In my experience, this never happens without user interaction, either accidental or intententional.

Since you are posting in the ACA newsgroup, are you referring to changes with respect to AEC dimensions or ordinary dimensions?  Are the objects being dimensioned AutoCAD or AEC objects?  Are there xref's involved (constructs, elements, views, etc)?

Message 5 of 14
uwdawgs

Thank you. I am using AutoCAD Architecture, but ordinary dimensions to
ordinary lines. No xrefs, constructs, elements, or views, just regular
model space. I just started using Architecture and haven't incorporated
much of the features yet, but hope to use more as I learn more about it. It
looks like what happened was the dimension changed from the apparent line
intersection to a nearby line midpoint. It has not happened again after I
fixed it. I still have the yellow exclamation point and was just worried
the dimension might change itself again and I wouldn't notice before I
print. I put a point at the apparent intersection and redimensioned it
snapping to a node hoping that would associate it, but that didn't work
either. Just wondering if there is some trick to get it to associate.
Message 6 of 14
pendean
Message 7 of 14
dbroad

Without a drawing to look at, it's all guesswork.  I suggest you turn off annomonitor to keep you from worrying about the warning flags.  A dimension isn't truly associative unless both definition points of a dimension are associated by object snap to objects.  The only ways that I know to reassociate a dimension are to either use dimreassoc or to delete and recreate the dimension using object snaps for both definition points, assuming dimassoc is set to 2.

Don't assume that associative dimensions are correct BTW.  Look at them just as critically as non-associative dimensions when checking. Deleting a vertex in a polyline can play havoc with associative dimensions.

Message 8 of 14
uwdawgs
in reply to: pendean

It's set to 2. Thanks. I knew how to turn the yellow exclamation points
off, they're only a minor nuisance, I was just hoping there was a way to
make the dimension associate to the apparent intersection so the dimension
would be associated and the yellow warning would be gone.
Message 9 of 14
pendean

"A dimension isn't truly associative unless both definition points of a dimension are associated by object snap to objects" is sage advice to your issue.
Message 10 of 14
uwdawgs
in reply to: pendean

Ok. Thank you. So I guess a point isn't enough to qualify as an object.
Message 11 of 14
dbroad

We didn't say that.  That's an incorrect conclusion. I put points inside blocks all the time and dimensionally snap to them and the dimensions are associative.  A linear dimension requires that both definition points snap onto objects while dimassoc is 2.

In addition, when snapping to the center of a circle, the process associates the circle with the dimension without the definition point being on an object.

Message 12 of 14
uwdawgs

Thank you! I just tried putting a point at the apparent intersection again
and snapped to that and now it is associative. Not sure why it didn't work
the first time I tried it.
Message 13 of 14
David_W_Koch

For the record, a POINT object does qualify as an object to which an associative dimension can be anchored.  Using an APPINT snap while dimensioning does not create a POINT object at the apparent intersection location.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 14 of 14
uwdawgs
in reply to: David_W_Koch

That's weird, I put a point at the apparent intersection. Snapped to the
node and it was associative. I even moved the point and the dimension
updated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report