AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions are not showing when I'm trying to draw

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
wsc11
175621 Views, 15 Replies

Dimensions are not showing when I'm trying to draw

Hi, I am a beginner with Autocad Architecture 2010.

I don't know whether I pressed something and switched off the dimensions display. When I started to use Autocad I could type in the dimensions of a box I wanted to draw and it would be highlighted in blue to let me know whether I was typing in dimensions for the height or the width of the box, but now I can't see it displayed. And when I click on line a previously drew it no longer shows what the dimension of that line anymore. 

I need to finish my project very soon, Please help me!!!! 

Thanks,

Jenny

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: wsc11

Did you turn off PICKFIRST. And DYNMODE variables?
Message 3 of 16
tarltona09

I am having this same problem. I tried the "solution" that was given, but I didn't understand what to do. Nothing happend when I tried to use those commands.

Message 4 of 16
KathyMoffa
in reply to: tarltona09

I think the original post might have been referring to Dynamic Input.  You toggle it on and off in the Settings at the bottom left of the screen.

Message 5 of 16
pjken
in reply to: KathyMoffa

I have the same problem, tried dynamic input but that doesn't help me..

Before, while drawing the distances would appear in a white square, and by changing the distances in those white squares it was easy to create fast. Anyone an idea on how to get those distances back?

Message 6 of 16
David_W_Koch
in reply to: pjken

Welcome to the community!

In the Drafting Settings dialog*, on the Dynamic Input tab, make certain that the Enable Dimension Input where possible toggle is checked.  Click on the Settings button in the Dimension Input area and verify that the settings are as you desire.  Then make certain that Dynamic Input is enabled.  The Dynamic Input tool on the Application Status Bar will have a blue background when it is enabled, or a gray background when disabled.  Select that tool or press F12 to toggle the status.  (The DYNMODE system variable can also be used - zero or a negative value indicates that it is disabled; a positive value indicates that it is enabled.  1 = Pointer input only enabled; 2 = Dimension Input only enabled; 3 = both Pointer and Dimension Input enabled.)

DraftingSettings_DynamicInput_DimensionInput.png

*  You can open this dialog by right clicking on the Dynamic Input tool on the Application Status Bar and choosing Settings from the context menu.  Or you can type DSETTINGS and then press the ENTER key at the Command prompt.  (You may have to choose the Dynamic Input tab with the second method.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 16
leothebuilder
in reply to: tarltona09

Welcome to this forum.

Press F1 for help and look up PICKFIST and DYNMODE.

They are variable settings that you need to select.

PICKFIRST (System Variable)

Controls whether you can select objects before you start a command.

Type: Integer
Saved in: Registry
Initial value: 1
0   =   Off. You can select objects only after you start a command
1   =   On. You can also select objects before you start a command

DYNMODE (System Variable)

Turns Dynamic Input features on and off.

Type: Integer
Saved in: Registry
Initial value: 3
When all features are on, the context governs what is displayed.
When DYNMODE is set to a negative value, the Dynamic Input features are not turned on, but the setting is stored.
0  =  All Dynamic Input features, including dynamic prompts, off
1  =  Pointer input on
2  =  Dimensional input on
3  =  Both pointer input and dimensional input on

Message 8 of 16
Suncreader
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David_W._Koch , this is the solution!!^^

Message 9 of 16

Simpler answer:

In the command line type:

DYNMODE

Hit enter key

Then, in the command line type:

Message 10 of 16
bcopelandLNNGP

I am having the same problem. We just upgraded to the 2018 version of AutoCAD Architecture from 2015. I've went through all the steps listed here and on other forums on the web and can't seem to fix it. Specifically, my problem is that I can't see the length and other properties of a line I am currently drawing. The same is true for a previously drawn line if I select the line and hover over the end grip. Screenshots are below/attached.

Thanks,

Brian

Message 11 of 16

The problem was that I had a size of -1 in the Drafting Tooltip Appearance settings. Changing it to 0 fixed the problem.

Message 12 of 16
kristina_hoang

In your command box, type: DSETTINGS

Under the Dynamic Input tab, make sure the check mark box for "Enable Pointer Input" is selected.

Message 13 of 16
arikhurshid
in reply to: leothebuilder

Thank you for mentioning DYNMODE. I installed Adobe acrobat and suddenly the DYNMODE value was changed to -3.
I typed DYNMODE and changed the value to 1, and it solved the problem.

Message 14 of 16
arikhurshid

I got the same problem after I installed Adobe acrobat. The DYNMODE value was changed somehow to a negative value. I worked again after uninstalling Adobe acrobat.  The problem apeared again when I reinstalled Adobe acrobat.  

I solved the problem by typing DYNMODE in the command prompt of ACAD and changed the value from -3 to 1, and pressed Enter.

Message 15 of 16
mvbosch

Just press F12 on the keyboard when working in AutoCAD. You can switch it on and off with F12.

Message 16 of 16

it is working, thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost