AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Strings Acting Strangely

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
liamKQEP9
479 Views, 8 Replies

Dimension Strings Acting Strangely

I really don't know how else to explain it, so I've made a screen recording to show what's wrong. Basically, at some point I must've accidentally changed a setting and now the dimension strings are moving like this (look like they're grid snapping when snap mode is off, not referencing certain points that they were before):

Before this problem happened, the dimensions would snap to the edge of the ellipse of that door tag, and I would be able to drag them straight back to reference an outer wall line. It's not a problem that affects all my drawings, just certain ones. Anyone know what's going wrong (and I can provide more details if need be)?

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: liamKQEP9

What are your running osnaps set to?
EXPLODE a copy of that block to one side and find out what else is going on with that shape.
Message 3 of 9
liamKQEP9

As for my OSNAP settings, here's what I've got:

liamKQEP9_0-1624287272199.png

I'm not sure what block you're referring to, though; I set up a couple of rectangles and a generic door tag just to illustrate the problem. Do you mean the dimension string itself?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Share with us that portion of your DWG file please.
Message 5 of 9
liamKQEP9
in reply to: pendean

Ok, here it is. I'm on Architecture 2022 by the way.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

You wrote: "..I'm not sure what block you're referring to..."

How about the one you are trying to click on called TAG-door

pendean_0-1624290542581.png

Which when you explode (as I suggested) shows that it is an ellipse with only three locations that you can snap to, no where else (see the blue dots)

pendean_1-1624290608688.png

So there appears to be no option for you to snap anywhere else on it accurately, but you can fudge it with a NEAREST hoping for the best (which no one really likes in CAD, it is considered sloppy)

pendean_2-1624290702383.png

May I ask why are trying to dimension to a floating unrelated tag when you appear very concerned about dimensioning the rectangles instead? Why not dimension to the center of the line instead?

pendean_3-1624290817302.png

Message 7 of 9
liamKQEP9

I see what you're saying. I have these rectangles set up as an example; what I'm working with is similar, with different finish lines/stud lines along a wall. I put my door tags in the middle of a door opening, then I attach the dimension string to the center of that. What's confusing me is why I can't snap to anything I want as long as it intersects with the line along which the dimension callout runs, if that makes sense. 

It's not a problem that's stopping me from getting anything done, obviously, but it's annoying that it's not acting normal. I'm really new to doing this kind of thing (intern moment), so I'm also probably not using the best practices or what have you. I was hoping it was just a simple matter of a setting that I accidentally changed, but I haven't found anything on other posts about it (partly because I find it so hard to explain). I really appreciate your help so far though. 

Message 8 of 9
pendean

I guess your company has no senior drafter to help guide you though basic drafting techniques?

1) It is not good practice in the AEC industry to dimension to tags near objects we want to dimension. So that's one big bad idea you need to forget. Never. Ever. That gets you fired at my company and a good chuckle in the field from all the contractors 😉

2) To recap my last post: your oval shape tag does not allow you to snap to anything other than the three dots I showed in my screenshot, as well as the insertion point of that block and the insertion point o the attribute in the block. Why? BECUASE IT IS AN ELLIPSE THAT ONLY ALLOWS THAT (not shouting, just emphasizing). That's how it is with your block, sorry, not much you can do about it. Learn to recognize what you can an cannot do in the program, it saves a lot of time trying to use it most efficiently.

HTH
Message 9 of 9
liamKQEP9

• My company is a super small residential firm with just the owner and one other architect (and me). I've been working through the problem with the other architect (she's never seen this problem before either).
  • I only reference the tag in a case where it's perfectly centered on a door and I don't want my dimension string to visually intersect it (like below). It's helpful referencing a tag that I've already centered on a door instead of clicking through the "midpoint between 2 points" method. I appreciate the warning, but being such a small firm they're able to supervise me with problems like, even though work's being conducted virtually.
    liamKQEP9_0-1624304988193.png

(my selected objects are stripy now instead of blue, which is another interesting development)

• The good news is that we were able to fix the problem by simply copying everything over into a new DWG with our standards in it, and the dimensions are acting normally now. Note how I can snap the dimension to any point intersecting with its axis now, including on the ellipse:

I attached the fixed DWG in case you wanted to take a look at that one too. I'm going to leave this case open in case anyone who's encountered this problem comes along and can say whatever setting it is that I must've messed up (or if it's a glitch, if there's a faster way to fix it). Once again, thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report