AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Key not working

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
AaronEllsworth
82225 Views, 22 Replies

Delete Key not working

I just installed AutoCAD Architecture 2014 on my home computer and the delete key doesn't work.  I've searched this and other forums but the solutions suggested there haven't worked.  Since they are all rather old threads I thought I would start a new one.

I've checked that pickfirst = 1  (same thing but 'noun/verb selection' is checked)

Another forum( http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=3407) made these suggestions:

If you have the "Logitech Internet Navigator" keyboard, make sure you are using the latest Windows driver for this keyboard.

If you are using ATI card driver (Catalyst), try to disable the "ATI Taskbar icon application" (Display Properties\Settings\Advanced\Options) and kill the atiptaxx.exe process in the Task Manager. Also switch off 'Hot keys' in Hydravision properties.

I'm running on a notebook computer, an Acer Aspire running Windows 8  with an Nvidia GeForce GT 730M video card. I'm using just the built-in keyboard and I presume it came with up-to-date drivers and the video card is a different brand. I bought the computer in May of this year.  I have no idea what "switch off 'Hot keys' in Hydravision properties" means. The delete key works in other applications, so it isn't a problem with the button, so I'm all out of ideas.  I would sure like a solution to this problem.  I could have had this thing drawn with pencil and paper in the time I've spent troubleshooting.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
pendean
in reply to: AaronEllsworth

Sorry but I can't believe not using ERASE command instead is so difficult that you wasted so much time 'researching' instead of working on your project 😉

If PICKFIRST variable is on and typing any command actually takes up your entireties then there is something else stopping AutoCAD from using your delete button.

Is 2014 fully updated?
Message 3 of 23
AaronEllsworth
in reply to: pendean

I confess that I have just learned the erase command. So glad there is more than one way to skin a cat. I've been using AutoCAD for nearly 20 years and the delete key has always worked flawlessly. Since I just downloaded the install from Autodesk, I presume that it is fully up to date, but maybe that is too sensible.  So I will check.

Message 4 of 23

I doubt this is it because I don't think a laptop keyboard would have duplicate keys. But... I remember working on an expanded keyboard that had 2 delete keys. One would work and one wouldn't. Don't know why.

Is the key dual function? Is it possible that it's locked to an auxiliary function? Just some wild guesses.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

Another wild guess:
QAFLAGS system variable should be set to 0

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 23
nestly2

Does the "Del" key work in all other applications?  For instance if you highlight text in a Word document, or highlight the URL in your browser Navigation bar?

Message 7 of 23

The delete key does work in other applications.

Message 8 of 23
nestly2

I'm just throwing out ideas, but if you have a USB keyboard, try plugging it in and see if delete key works with AutoCAD on the external keyboard.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

PICKFIRST value is '0' at default. In order to use 'del' key for erasing, the value should be set to '1'

It should work hopefully once changed.

Message 10 of 23
Seagrave88
in reply to: troma

QAFLAGS system variable set to 0 fixed this issue for me

thanks Troma!

John Seagrave

City and County of San Francisco

Department of Public Works

Hydraulic Engineering

Map 3D 2014 / HP Z800

Message 11 of 23

I was having this same problem. I tried pickfirst and the noun/verb setting, nothing seem to be the solution. Then I had an epiphany and cut my caps lock off. Eureka the problem was solved. I am just putting this out there. It worked for me.

Message 12 of 23
dayantha
in reply to: Anonymous

This Works - Yay!

Message 13 of 23

You're running windows on a mac that's why, has nothing to do with AutoCAD.  

Hold the FN key on your keyboard, and press DELETE.

I just researched this, its because on Mac platform the "delete" key performs both as backspace and delete.  So when you crossover or do parallels or whatever onto Windows the keyboard's default function for the delete key is "backspace"; you have to press FN+Delete to toggle from "backspace" to "delete."

Message 14 of 23
engr.arbab07

this post worked for me, thanks sayjoon45
Message 15 of 23
mills.joshua.j

This did it for me.

Message 16 of 23
abbowen
in reply to: paintedhawk.js

This solution worked for me. I was also not able to dble click on text to edit. I was having to manually type ddedit, then select text. This solution solved that problem also. Thank you.
Message 17 of 23
twistedwhig

Thank you sayjoon45,  this was such a random occurance, and why is there a variable that dissables the delete key and the right click option for block and xref editor?????

Spoiler

Smiley Frustrated 

Message 18 of 23
edzabala

This one worked for me!  Thank you very much!

Message 19 of 23
snl.vaid
in reply to: pendean

Dean Saadallah Sir, 

Hello Sir, according to your comments, I change the variable Pickfirst to 1 from Zero, and delete button starts working.

Thanks

SUNIL KUMAR VAID

Message 20 of 23
danieldAL3UZ
in reply to: Seagrave88

Thanks this fixed my 'o' key and made it close my purge window again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost