ArtCAM Forum (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Autodesk ArtCAM

299 REPLIES 299
Message 1 of 300
dillon.moulder
20534 Views, 299 Replies

Changes to Autodesk ArtCAM

We regret to inform you that on July 7, 2018, ArtCAM will be discontinued with no planned future releases or updates. This change will have the following implications for subscribers and customers with active maintenance plans:

• As of February 7, 2018, customers will no longer be able to purchase a new ArtCAM subscription.
  • Maintenance Plan and Subscription renewals for ArtCAM will continue to be available until July 7, 2018.
  • Customers who have purchased a perpetual license of ArtCAM will continue to own and have full usage rights for that license.
  • You can continue to get ArtCAM support from Autodesk until November 1, 2018, by logging in to your Autodesk Account, selecting ArtCAM from the Support section, and submitting a ticket via email.  Please note this support is only available in English.
  • Although support from Autodesk will expire on November 1, 2018, you can continue to access self-service support via the Autodesk Knowledge Network (AKN) and peer-to-peer support via the Autodesk Community’s ArtCAM Forum.

For more information, please read the FAQ.

299 REPLIES 299
Message 101 of 300
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I would hope that you could be the voice of reason and share with them the impact that this is going to have on many many different companies. I am not looking for something for nothing I just need a back up plan to continue serving my customers.  

Rest assured, I will do my best to ensure that senior management in Autodesk are made aware of the customer sentiments expressed here on the Autodesk Community forums regarding the end-of-sale and end-of-development of Autodesk ArtCAM. As and when I receive any further information that might be of interest to the community of ArtCAM users, I will share it with you all without delay.

Kind regards,

Message 102 of 300
Anonymous
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Thank you Dillion I appreciate everything you do.
Message 103 of 300
dillon.moulder
in reply to: pakpck

Hi @pakpck,

@Anonymous wrote:
The greatest sense of loss I feel is the great people that worked for ArtCam. Absolutely hands down the best support I have ever received. That's why I stuck with them and why I paid through the nose to have that support.

I don't blame them in the least. I can't imagine what it would be like to have that happen to you. If I have offended Dillon or any of the Artcam team with my comments then I apologize.

Having said that this forum is where we Artcam users can talk to one another and try to find a way out of this mess.

On a personal note, I've worked on ArtCAM for almost 17 years alongside some great people, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to meet many of the individuals and companies who've used ArtCAM software in so many innovative ways. Inevitably, this is a difficult situation for me too. While the news I had to deliver on 7th February 2018 is difficult to accept, I am committed to doing the very best I can in assisting you with moving forward.

I have not taken any offence to any of your comments. I encourage the community of ArtCAM users to ask questions, share their concerns, but most of all to support each other in this situation.

Kind regards,

Message 104 of 300
Anonymous

Hello to my ArtCAM friends and family!

It is with a sad heart that I tell you I am no longer an employee with Autodesk.

I have worked with ArtCAM for 17 years. Over the years I have met and worked with many wonderful people.  I’ve made a lot of friends and even an ArtCAM family that I was lucky enough to see every year at the User Group. That was always one of my favorite events for the year! To see all the cool things people were making and to share any new techniques I had for modelling was great.

ArtCAM is an incredible software; I love working with it, designing with it, and helping people realize how much they can make. It is always amazing when you’re teaching and you see something click for the first time and your audience get the look of “wow, I can make that…!” I may have trained and worked with some of you recently and others throughout the last 10-15 years. The range of different industries I’ve seen because of all of you never ceases to amaze me!

I have invested so many years into ArtCAM and I’m not ready to just walk away. I am thinking of starting a small business to help with training and design projects. If you would like some information on either training or contract work, please email me at artistic.cad@gmail.com. I know some people were enquiring about training before this all went down. Most official training is probably no longer an option with Autodesk, but I can give you the best training out there.

For those who I’ve known for years, please feel free email me even you just want to chat. It would be nice to stay in touch!

I would like to put out a BIG THANK YOU to Dillon. He is the only person manning the ship now and he is doing a great job with what he has been given. He is working with a very difficult task, and I am thankful he is there to help everyone with anything he can.

I am going to miss working with everyone I’ve met over the years; what an awesome bunch! There’s no one out there like our ArtCAM users!!!! You guys are great.

Next week I hope to jump on the forum a bit more and maybe start up a few legacy posts on some past projects. (I might also post this on its own for those not reading this Changes to Autodesk ArtCAM topic).

Take care and chat soon!

Cheers,

Jennifer Dunn

Message 105 of 300
danb8s

So when My subscription runs out its just over? The company worked so hard to switch me from the copy I owned to a subscription just to take it away? I have years of drawing and files I will have to convert, learn a new software and have post processors written for it. The only solution I've heard is to use fusion360 but then i'm running the risk of that going away. Why did AutoDesk buy Artcam if they didnt want it?

Message 106 of 300
pakpck
in reply to: danb8s

Fusion 360 is a good modeling program for mechanical engineers but it lacks many things that Artcam had. Sorry to hear you took the bait and switched from the perpetual version. They worked hard to switch the maintenance plan people. I had been burned by Autodesk in the past so I knew what was coming eventually. I wouldn't use an Autocad product again if they were giving it away. As the old saying goes screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. I don't know if there is any legal recourse to them leading many down the dead end path.
I hate to see the great people from Artcam lose the livelihood. Only two explanations. Complete morons or ruthless and greedy to buy up market share and remove a product they could never hope to compete with
Message 107 of 300
dillon.moulder

Hi @danb8s,

@danb8s wrote:

So when My subscription runs out its just over? The company worked so hard to switch me from the copy I owned to a subscription just to take it away? I have years of drawing and files I will have to convert, learn a new software and have post processors written for it. The only solution I've heard is to use fusion360 but then i'm running the risk of that going away. Why did AutoDesk buy Artcam if they didnt want it?

Do you have an active subscription for an Autodesk ArtCAM product? Please confirm, and provide your Account CSN if possible.

If you have an active subscription to an Autodesk ArtCAM product, you can continue to renew it until 7th July 2018. If you have an active subscription on 7th July 2018, the Key Dates information in the FAQ suggests that you'll have access to your Autodesk ArtCAM product until 1st February 2021.

You can continue to use your ArtCAM Express 2015 R2.SP3 (build 860) software with the Advanced 2D Machining module in perpetuity. If you copy the Strippit_Helios_Laser_INCH_INCREMENTAL.con file from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2018\postp to C:\Program Files\ArtCAM 2015 R2\postp on your computer, you can select the Strippit Helios Laser INCH INCREMENTAL (*.pgm) option when saving your calculated toolpaths from ArtCAM Express 2015 R2.SP3 (build 860). In addition, you can open ArtCAM Model files (*.art) files originating from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2018 in ArtCAM Express 2015 R2.SP3 (build 860).

I've given some guidance on preparing for future migration here.

I'm not aware of any plans for Autodesk to discontinue or to divest in Fusion 360.

Autodesk acquired Delcam on 6th February 2014, and ArtCAM was one of many products sold and developed by Delcam. Although Autodesk have not published any statement providing specific reasons behind their decision to end the sale and development of ArtCAM, the company announced their restructuring plans on 28th November 2017; for details, see this news article.

The Autodesk Community's Moving to Subscription Forum is a more suitable place for questions or discussions specifically about Autodesk subscriptions.

If you have any further questions regarding ArtCAM, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Message 108 of 300
dillon.moulder
in reply to: pakpck

Hi @pakpck,

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to hear you took the bait and switched from the perpetual version.

I think this specific situation might benefit from some contextual information.

When Delcam was absorbed into Autodesk on 1st August 2016, customers with an active Delcam maintenance agreement for ArtCAM Insignia, ArtCAM Pro and ArtCAM JewelSmith were automatically migrated to Autodesk and supplied with an Autodesk ArtCAM software license and maintenance plan.

It was never possible for ArtCAM Express users to purchase a maintenance agreement from Delcam, so they were not automatically migrated to Autodesk.

Autodesk ended the sale of new perpetual licenses and new maintenance plans for almost all of their products on 1st August 2016. They subsequently did the same for all ex-Delcam products (ArtCAM, PowerMill, PowerShape, PowerInspect and FeatureCAM) on 31st January 2017. Therefore, it would not have been possible for a customer such as @danb8s to purchase a new perpetual license for an Autodesk ArtCAM product after 31st January 2017. Looking at posts on the Autodesk Community's ArtCAM Forum, it seems as though @danb8s first enquired about Autodesk ArtCAM products on 6th September 2017. At that time, his only option would have been to purchase a new subscription to an Autodesk ArtCAM product.

Kind regards,

Message 109 of 300
ewshp

Sad news to learn this, ArtCAM was a really great piece software.

@dillon.moulder and the other people behind and contributing to the ArtCAM community (too many to list them !) :

A BIG THANK YOU ! for the time invested and the knowledge shared among the years.

Everything else has been said around Autodesk way of doing business and the way this company treats its customers: not surprising to me and i think more ex-Delcam softwares will follow this route sooner or later.

i will continue using ArtCAM and other softwares for which i own a perpetual licence as long as possible but i am already testing some competitor products in case i need to make a permanent switch

Sam

Message 110 of 300
danb8s

I could have stayed with my perpetual software, the situation now is that I have switched and don't think I can go back. will my old software open any of the files created or modified in the subscription base? How should I transfer years for files to a new program? will fusion import a .art file or will I have to open every file I've ever made and export one at a time .dxf? what about options fusion doesn't have? Will I have to buy a second program for Vcaring?

Message 111 of 300
dillon.moulder

Hi @danb8s,

@danb8s wrote:

I could have stayed with my perpetual software, the situation now is that I have switched and don't think I can go back. will my old software open any of the files created or modified in the subscription base? How should I transfer years for files to a new program? will fusion import a .art file or will I have to open every file I've ever made and export one at a time .dxf? what about options fusion doesn't have? Will I have to buy a second program for Vcaring?

By "perpetual software", are you referring to ArtCAM Express 2015 R2? Please confirm.

So long as you have your PAF Licence file (DAN96-01P.paf) and dongle (***284), you can continue to use ArtCAM Express 2015 R2.SP3 (build 860), including the Advanced 2D Machining module, in perpetuity.

I've previously confirmed here that you can open ArtCAM Model files (*.art) originating from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2018 in ArtCAM Express 2015 R2.SP3 (build 860).

You cannot open an ArtCAM Model file (*.art) in any application other than ArtCAM itself; it is proprietary. You can find further information about Fusion 360 here and by posting to the Autodesk Community's Fusion 360 Forum.

I've asked some questions in my previous response to you here. Please read my post and answer my questions so that I can advise you accordingly.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 112 of 300
scottmoyse

have you guys noticed that Autodesk are running a 25% subscription promo at the moment? They are offering for customers to switch to subscription from perpetual, and if they aren't satisfied, they can switch back to perpetual.... So they are more than capable of returning all those customers that switched to subscription back to perpetual and that's exactly one if the things that should have been offered here.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 113 of 300
danb8s

yes, ArtCAM Express 2015 R2 and I do still have my paf and dongle.

Where do I find my Account CSN#?

were there any questions I missed?

Message 114 of 300
dillon.moulder
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi @scottmoyse,

@scottmoyse wrote:
have you guys noticed that Autodesk are running a 25% subscription promo at the moment? They are offering for customers to switch to subscription from perpetual, and if they aren't satisfied, they can switch back to perpetual....

I expect you’re referring to this promotional offer, which is available to customers in the USA and Canada between 7th February 2018 and 20th April 2018. To my knowledge, none of the ex-Delcam products are included in this promotional offer.

Kind regards,

Message 115 of 300
dillon.moulder

Hi @danb8s,

@danb8s wrote:

yes, ArtCAM Express 2015 R2 and I do still have my paf and dongle.

Where do I find my Account CSN#?

were there any questions I missed?

I’m pleased to hear that you do have your ArtCAM Express 2015 R2 software, PAF Licence file (*.paf) and dongle, as this means you can continue using it in perpetuity.

Please copy the post processor configuration file (*.con) as suggested, and check that the Strippit Helios Laser INCH INCREMENTAL (*.pgm) option is available to select from the Save Toolpaths dialog’s Machine file format list. In addition, please try opening an ArtCAM Model file (*.art) and importing an ArtCAM Relief file (*.rlf) originating from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2018.

You should be able to find your Account CSN in your the purchase confirmation email sent by Autodesk when you first subscribed to Autodesk ArtCAM Standard. With this information, I should be able to establish whether you have an active subscription to an Autodesk ArtCAM product and therefore what options are available to you now.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 116 of 300
danb8s

I found this,

Serial Number: xxx-xxxxxxxx
Product: Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2018 2018
Computer Name: CHARLES-PC 

and this....

Activation Code:

xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx

and this...

Your receipt for order number: 796920

But I dont see anything that says Account CSN....

Message 117 of 300
danb8s

strange... the forum apparently removed the serial number I provided, ill try again

Message 118 of 300
dillon.moulder

Hi @danb8s,

@danb8s wrote:

strange... the forum apparently removed the serial number I provided, ill try again

This is for your own protection. Please do not share confidential information such as your serial number or activation code on any public forum.

I’ll see what information I can retrieve from your order number.

Thanks for your understanding and patience. 

Kind regards,

Message 119 of 300
dillon.moulder

Hi @danb8s,

@danb8s wrote:

order number: 796920

It seems as though you received your order confirmation for an annual subscription to Autodesk ArtCAM Standard on 7th November 2017. Therefore, your subscription should be active on 7th July 2018. Thereafter, so long as you do not cancel your subscription between now and 7th July 2018, you should continue to have access to Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2018 until 1st February 2021.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Message 120 of 300
Anonymous

Hi - I'm not sure about what happens with maintenance & perpetual licenses. I am running Artcam 2018 with a perpetual license. My renewal is in March. If I choose NOT to renew my maintenance in March do I still have use of 2018 as it is now or do I revert back to 2015r? 

If I revert back to 2015 that means in order to keep using Artcam 2018 beyond my March renewal date I must-

1- renew my maintenance plan next month for March 2018 to Nov.1 2018

2- I will have use of Artcam 2018 in perpetuity after that or is that at Autodesks discretion? 

Thanks Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report