Community
Arnold GPU Forum
General discussions about GPU rendering with Arnold.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error rendering with Arnold GPU

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
am_wilkins
136 Views, 3 Replies

Error rendering with Arnold GPU

Hi,

I've been running some render tests with Arnold on the GPU in Solaris, however occasionally my scene starts giving this error and refuses to render when submitted via HUSK.

The machine it renders on drivers are all up to date, latest generation card, frequently does render Arnold GPU frames successfully.

Renders fine locally in the scene.

R 65| 00:00:02  2799MB ERROR   | [gpu] OptiX call failed: (7010) OPTIX_ERROR_DISK_CACHE_INVALID_PATH
R 66| 00:00:02  2799MB ERROR   | [gpu] GPU context creation failed : OPTIX_ERROR_DISK_CACHE_INVALID_PATH

What does this mean, and is there a way to prevent this from happening?

--

Houdini Core Version 20.0.590
Arnold Core: 7.2.5.2

HotA: 6.2.5.2

CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 3990x

RAM: 128GB
GPU: NVIDIA RTX A4000

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: am_wilkins

Look for something like at the start of the log.

[gpu] setting OptiX disk cache location to: C:\Users\adsk\AppData\Local/NVIDIA/OptixCache

Maybe husk is running as a different user or with different permissions.

The location of the disk cache can be overridden with the environment variable OPTIX_CACHE_PATH. The environment variable takes precedence over this setting.

The default location depends on the operating system:

• Windows: LOCALAPPDATA%\NVIDIA\OptixCache
  • Linux: /var/tmp/OptixCache_<username> (or /tmp/OptixCache_<username> if the first choice is not usable), the underscore and username suffix are omitted if the username cannot be obtained

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 4
am_wilkins
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hi Stephen, thanks for the info.

[gpu] setting OptiX disk cache location to: C:\Users\adsk\AppData\Local/NVIDIA/OptixCache

Unfortunately, running a search for "Optix" and I don't see this line in the logs. 

However, I believe something must've gotten corrupted with the machine so we're either going to try re-installed drivers or re-image the machine.

Running the USD through Husk on a different machine works.

However on this machine also gives I guess the same error with difference wording:

00:00:39  2420MB ERROR   |  [gpu] CUDA call failed : (700) an illegal memory access was encountered
00:00:39  2420MB ERROR   |  [gpu] Exception thrown during GPU execution: an illegal memory access was encountered

PS. It's worth mentioning that the machine is still rendering with Karma XPU just fine.

So this seems an Arnold specific problem.

Will let you know if there is any further errors, info or updates.  

thanks,

amwilkins

Message 4 of 4
am_wilkins
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Good day,

We've managed to solve this issue and it was in relation to the "APPDATA" path and how our render manager was setting it.
Thanks for the pointers/assistance, etc.

Marking resolved.

amwilkins

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums