Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom arnold shader AOV Arnold 5 (arnold shader driver)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2105 Views, 6 Replies

Custom arnold shader AOV Arnold 5 (arnold shader driver)

Back in the days of Arnold 4 I used to be able to create a 'custom AOV' in my scene and then directly plug a full 'aistandardsurface' into the 'shader' input on the 'AOV driver'

This allowed me to have a separate aistandard shader as a custom aov, unfortunately in arnold 5 this seems to just return either a flat colour or black,

Example: I have a fully textured and shaded character but I would also like to output a simple clay shader of the same character in a custom AOV

I've been looking into this post which seems to get close to what I'm after, any ideas how to set this up?

https://answers.arnoldrenderer.com/questions/6307/shader-custom-aov.html

Thanks!

Labels (5)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Standard Surface doesn't return a color, so you cannot use Standard Surface to write to a custom AOV (the AOV write shaders need a color value).

In Arnold 5, Standard Surface returns a closure, which is evaluated later by Arnold and used for LPEs.

You can use shaders like Utility or Flat to write to a custom aov.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

@Stephen Blair So in arnold 5 there is no way to write a full shader to an AOV as possible in arnold 4?

Message 4 of 7
Stephen.Blair

Shaders that return closures cannot write to custom AOVs

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I'm facing this problem too, did you figure it out?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

@Amro Haroon Just looking into this a little here and although you can't plug a StandardSurface into a custom AOV, there are a more shader options in the utility shader than I remember - you can have lambert, plastic or metal and you can also add texture to the color property. This was enough for what I wanted as an secondary material.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hmm, this is a big problem.

Can't use Flat or Utility because they don't accomodate displacement or opacity which Standard_Surface supports. So if we just want to generate a simple holdout matte AOV, what used to work no longer does.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report