Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold 5.3.5 - No Pre-populate GPU Cache?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dave.cooleyVKJNJ
485 Views, 4 Replies

Arnold 5.3.5 - No Pre-populate GPU Cache?

Just installed 5.3.5 and went to pre-pop the GPU cache. Menu option it's missing. OK, maybe you removed that? or did you MOVE it?

anyway,

Also, i opened a scene i've been rendering this week at 2K res and now, it is giving me a black render screen, then an error, and it says the GPUs ran out of memory. They didn't when i rendered whole sequences 2 days ago.

i went back to 5.3.4 and the image rendered normal. 

Are we needing to update scenes for things like this? Is the existing Optix denoise node no good? 

System is 

i7 -012700

64 gig ram

Windows 11

Dual 3080 gpu

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The release notes say that cache pre-population has been removed as it is no longer needed: https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_for_maya_535_html.

As for the black renders, are you getting a message that says

ERROR   |  [gpu] CUDA call failed : (712) part or all of the requested memory range is already mapped

If so, that's not running out of memory. That's a known GPU regression that appears on followup renders which we hope to have fixed in the next bug fix release.

Message 3 of 5

i reinstalled 5.3.5 so i could see the error again. 

The render gets to 50% (i can see the progress in the render window) then, the image goes black. 

the error I get is "# Warning: Cached Playback: Out of memory. Allocated memory limit for caching has been reached so caching has stopped. See the Script Editor for details."

On 2nd attempt, i did get the error you're referencing.

Re-installed 5.3.4,  re-populated gpu cache. 

and scene renders fine. 

Message 4 of 5

The cached playback message is a surprise to me. I assume you have "Viewport hardware cache" selected, so this is indeed the GPU running out of memory. And you aren't running out of memory with 5.3.4 (note this is a warning, not an error, so rendering will still work regardless)? If the cached playback is indeed only running out of memory on 5.3.5, that suggests maybe 5.3.5 has some additional issue with respect to gpu memory usage.

Message 5 of 5

That was the only message coming up with the 5.3.5. 

I don't get that message at all in 5.3.4. And the images finalize.

i just went back to 5.3.4. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out before moving past

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report