Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSS shader freezes computer (CPU)

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
seanmyersWYKWA
338 Views, 3 Replies

SSS shader freezes computer (CPU)

I'm using Houdini to Arnold and whenever I spend a length of time rendering SSS with randomwalk or randomwalk v2 my computer eventually freezes and crashes.

I've narrowed it down to this aspect of the shader that triggers the crash. The amount of time it takes to crash my computer is variable but it's approximately five minutes of rendering SSS, both in the IPR or rendering directly to disk.

I'm thinking it could possibly be a hardware issue but I'm having trouble diagnosing it. I've heard that CPU overheating can cause freezing but I've recorded my temperatures while rendering and they rarely go above 70C which is a very reasonable temp.

Is there any way to diagnose or log what is happening here? I don't have any sort of crash log I can look at, my whole computer just locks up and freezes.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
64.0 GB of ram
2x 1080 Ti

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
thiago.ize
in reply to: seanmyersWYKWA

There's nothing special in the SSS code that would cause it crash your machine.

Open up activity monitor and check to make sure you aren't freezing because you've ran out of RAM. If it's not that, then it's very likely you have some hardware problem. Make sure you're not overclocking. You could also try rendering with fewer threads to see if that lets your computer not crash (maybe it keeps it cooler, maybe it lowers the power draw).

Message 3 of 4
maxtarpini
in reply to: seanmyersWYKWA

If you can't find the activity monitor Thiago suggested you can start typing in the startmenu.. 'reliability monitor' and you'll get a nice overview of your pc crashes and freezes.. click any red cross and then double click any entry in the reliability details win. If that's not enough still in startmenu start typing 'event monitor'.
Message 4 of 4

Ok I'm going to say it was the overclocking that was causing this issue here. After disabling it I've have stable performance for a day so far.

Thank you for your response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report