Community
Arnold for 3ds Max Forum
Rendering with Arnold in 3ds Max using the MaxtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptomatte and Z depth doesnt work

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
AdrianDudak
220 Views, 5 Replies

Cryptomatte and Z depth doesnt work

Hi all,

so I am experiencing issues with my Maya scene when my rendered multi-layer EXR sequence has incorrect/ broken Cryptomatte and Z depth passes.

CRYPTOMATTE  issue:

- they are set up from AOVs, nothing changed to its default settings (like this in the past it worked without issues)

- rendered with Render Sequence, its multiLayer EXR with Merge AOVs checked

- in Nuke when I try to use Cryptomatte to select either by object or by material, I see this: 

AdrianDudak_2-1657820263284.png

You can tell just by looking at it something's wrong. Selecting the car body selects also tyres, spoiler and background (while there is no background to start with, its a render layer of a car only). it happens with all render layers in the scene (car/env/etc...)... not to mention they are NOT the same material...

Z DEPTH issue:

- my Z depth comes out as solid flat color without any actual Z depth to it.. when I contrast/under expose my Z depth AOV to see the depth, its either flat or has only some weirds scanlines instead of actual Z depth...

- again, all settings are default I didnt change anything to it (as far as I am aware)

AdrianDudak_0-1657820178587.png

AdrianDudak_1-1657820224072.png

In previous scenes I used exactly same settings (as far as I am concerned) and I didnt have any of these issues so Im not sure what Im missing here. Im rendering on CPU

Specs: Maya 2023, Windows 10 64 bit, 64GB ram, RTX2080 8GB, rendered in ACES (as set by default)

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this ? Is it some bug or did I just screwed something in settings?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: AdrianDudak

I don't remember seeing any issues like that. Do you have repro scene you can share?

Is there anything in the log? What else is in the scene (imagers, operators, ...) ?

If you render just Z, or just cryptomatte, are the both still broken?

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 6
AdrianDudak

thanks for the reply. The scene is actually quite heavy to share, but perhaps I can try to reduce it to a minimal area. No it doesnt contains any imagers or anything like that

EDIT: but what I do have in the scene is quite a few alembic caches of animated characters

EDIT 2: I solved the Zdepth issue - it was read node's color space that caused the Z pass to go flat. Due to ACES workflow I was swtiching read nodes from Scene Linear to Output sRGB to match the look of my Arnold Render's view, but it doesnt solve the cryptomatte issue

EDIT3: removing Z and N AOVs to keep just cryptomattes as you suggested ddint help either

Message 4 of 6
AdrianDudak

Here is the archived reduced scene https://mab.to/YEjoYEB7T, hopefully it will work on your end.

Apart from that I noticed another issue I forgot to mention (I dont want to start a new thread because something tells me this all has a common root) is that when I break my beauty pass in Nuke to diffuse/specular/coat/transmission and plus them all together, they dont match the beauty, there is a slight difference:

AdrianDudak_0-1657831582943.png

this is the actual difference: 

AdrianDudak_1-1657831616643.png

I checked my scene and I dont miss any other AOV such as sheen etc as I dont use those in my shaders... Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
Stephen.Blair

Just to be sure you get everything, can you try with
diffuse, specular, coat, transmission, sss, volume, emission, background

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 6 of 6
AdrianDudak
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hye, so after investigating further it seems like both issues were caused by color spaces, more precisely wrong output transform that was impacting Z and Cryptomatte passes. It all seems to work now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report