Community
Arnold for 3ds Max Forum
Rendering with Arnold in 3ds Max using the MaxtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backplate.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
raymondwganderson
441 Views, 4 Replies

Backplate.

Hello folks, is there any way in Arnold Render to apply a different Backplate image from the HDRI that lights the model?  ie Scene / Model lit with a specific HDRI but using a backplate from a different HDRI. [ see attached model ] I want that lighting but a different backplate [ I have 1 in mind ]

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Yes, that's possible. Open Render Setup, Arnold Renderer tab, go down to Background (Backplate), change Source to Custom Map.

wernienst_0-1708162907583.png

Message 3 of 5

@wernienst  Many thanks for the info. Still having problems though. I have used a jpg as a backplate as I dont have it in png. [ not sure if that makes any difference though ] as you will see The floor of the hdri is still visible and the backplate seems too small and very faint  [washed out].  I used a bitmap node from the material editor and used it for the backplate. I am quite obviously going wrong somewhere. see attached.

Message 4 of 5

For both Environment and Backplate map you should choose Spherical Environment as Mapping.

wernienst_0-1708186846569.png

The file type doesn't matter (I think). You may add a Color Correct node to adjust brightness/contrast. However, if the Environment map is also used for illumination, it should be a real 32-bit HDR map. And you should add an Arnold Skydome Light and assign it to its Texture channel.

Message 5 of 5

@wernienst , Apologies for the late reply , Thanks to your help I have now managed to sort out the backplate. Another aspect learned. Attached is the look that I want [ although I would like my render to be a wee bit sharper,  that will be for another topic though ] this is done using the default Arnold render settings.  Many thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report