Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbolic modeling

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
nkloski
557 Views, 1 Reply

Symbolic modeling

I was at a presentation recently where someone was talking about the software they created and how it went beyond parametric modeling and they called it symbolic modeling (a plug-in for Rhino).  They said that parametric modeling was great but when a change is made way back up the stack, the program has to go through and decide of that change could indeed be propagated throughout the rest of the history chain.

Their software only "describes operations" and they said that it is guaranteed to work every time, no matter what.  Here is the use case I would love to see if any iteration of the Fusion 360 (or maybe any other Autodesk product, but Fusion is my favorite) could do:

-take a scan of a set piece of the human body (let's say arm)

-create a tspline wrapper/cylinder around the defined arm area

-thicken the tspline body into a cast

-programmatically apply thickened edges and patterns into the solid body based on rules 

-be able to change the underlying scan data (someone else's arm) and have everything still work

-go off on your merry way

Ideas?

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
schneik-adsk
in reply to: nkloski

Your perfect workflow is possible today. But, it is a workflow that requires understand some advanced concepts.

In essence you want to limit the number of direct face and edge references you make and work more at a body level.

Have you looked at the combine feature and tools like rule fillet that help create these body based dependencies?

Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report