Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias and scripts

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dbors
837 Views, 12 Replies

Alias and scripts

I am developing one set of scripts on two Mac machines and would like to save script files in Dropbox without creating a version control problem.  I tried to establish an alias for the 'Scripts' folder.  I tried to establish an alias or an individual script folder.  And, I tried to establish individual aliases for script files.  Is the use of an alias prevented with the Fusion 360 script IDE?  Thanks.

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ekinsb
in reply to: dbors

I don't know about using an alias on a Mac, but on both Mac and Windows, your scripts and add-ins can exist anywhere.  There's a default directory where new scripts and add-ins are created and where Fusion automatically looks for scripts and add-ins, but you can also help Fusion find existing scripts and add-ins anywhere on your computer and then it will remember them from session to session.  To do that just use the green "+" sign at the top of the "Scripts and Add-Ins" dialog, as shown below, and then browse to where your py, js, dll, or dylib file is.

BrowseScripts.png

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 13
dbors
in reply to: ekinsb

Brian,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I copied a file to the Desktop and renamed it, then tried the + button.

Fusion 360 found the file and allowed me to "open" it.  But, it failed to appear in the Scripts list.  So, I must conclude this feature is not working as suggested under macOS 10.12.3.

Message 4 of 13
ekinsb

Did you copy the folder or just the single .py or .js file?  You need to copy the folder that contains the .py or .js file because there are other files that are needed in that folder.

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 13
dbors

I set up a file folder with both .py and .manifest files.  The selection box would not allow selection ('Open') of the folder (see first screen shot).  The selection box allows selection of the .py file, but selecting the .py file does not create a listing for the script in the Scripts and Add-ins Box.

Message 6 of 13
ekinsb

I just walked through this with somebody else on Mac that was having a similar problem. It turned out the problem is that he was using the green "+" on the Scripts tab rather than the Add-Ins tab.  I didn't think it would matter, and it really shouldn't but apparently it currently does. Can you see if you're using the Add-Ins tab, as shown below?

Add Add-In.png

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 7 of 13
dbors

I tried this again, selecting Add-ins first.  Same result -- nothing.  Is your reference using OS 10.12.3 ?

Message 8 of 13
ekinsb

I don't know what version he's using but I was hoping that would solve the problem for you.  I'm not sure what to try next.  Is your program a script or add-in?  If you put it in the default location where new scripts and add-ins are created, is Fusion able to find it ok?  Can you also try creating a new script or add-in (whatever your program is) and then move the folder to some other location and try referencing it to verify that it's a general problem with all scripts and add-ins and not something specific with your program?

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 9 of 13
dbors

After some some work, this discussion shifts to a conversation about belief.  On one hand, one can believe the system works and keep trying to discover what one is doing wrong.  On the other hand, one might assume that the software is not working and that a fix is required.

I have tried the following:

(1)  Initiated Scrip and Add-in programs in Fusion 360 and returned to them in a later session.  Both worked.

(2)  Copied existing Scrip and Add-in programs, renamed them, and put them in the standard folder location.  Both worked.

(3)  Attempted to locate renamed, proven (working) programs as Script and Add-in files placed on the Desktop.  Neither worked.

I must note that when Apple moved to OS 10.12 several open source programs broke, especially WRT handling files.  Several commercial programs required immediate updates.  So, I am inclined to believe Fusion 360 is not operating as expected with OS 10.12.3 except for Scripts and Add-ins at specific locations.

I note that I expect Scripts and Add-ins to work the same -- allowing files to be located outside the default folders.  If you think it could help I will remove and reload Fusion 360 so there is no potential confusion between the MAC Store version and the Autodesk Store version.  Otherwise, I ask, how should I report this to Autodesk?  Thanks. 

Message 10 of 13
ekinsb

You can consider it reported and we'll look into it. Which version of Fusion are you running, the Mac App Store or the Autodesk Store version?

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 11 of 13
dbors

Good question.  I started with the MAC Store version, and the file folders look like the MAS path.  The Fusion 369 version number is 2.0.2727.

Message 12 of 13
dbors

I just downloaded Version 2.0.2826 directly from Autodesk and the software now works as expected -- Script and Add-in files are available from any folder location.

However, I find that Updates, Check for Updates, etc., are missing from the menu and from the "About" screen.  Further, the Mac App Store shows Version 1.18.4 as the latest version.

Please add a menu item to make it easy to check for updates.  Going to the Web site to check is round-a-bout.

Again, thank you for the earlier suggestions. 

Message 13 of 13
marshaltu

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. It was a bug in Fusion apple store version. I logged it as UP-33652 in our internal bug system.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report