Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

developing xNURBS module for Alias

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
partnerNRWZF
1327 Views, 9 Replies

developing xNURBS module for Alias

We are xNURBS (https://www.xnurbs.com/) and are an Autodesk Partner. We plan to develop xNURBS module for Alias, which provides a similar capacity like http://www.tenlinks.com/news/xnurbs-rhino-solidworks-plug-in-v4-released/ . However, it seems that Alias APIs are not publicly available? How to get in touch with Alias team and get their suggestion for developing xNURBS module for Alias?

Key Features of xNURBS:

• Unlimited capacities for solving NURBS: Its optimization algorithm can solve virtually any NURBS surface in a matter of milliseconds (regardless of how complex the constraints are.).

Fillet.gif

Blending dozens of edges with one watertight G2 NURBS surface.

• High-quality surfaces: For a given set of constraints, xNURBS’ optimization algorithm uses energy-minimization method to generate the smoothest NURBS surface among all possible solutions. The generated surface quality is outstanding.

Y Pipeline.gif

• xNURBS is one super powerful NURBS tool that fixes virtually all surfacing issues for existing CAD software.

UVFlows.gif

PatchLoft601.png

• Easy-to-use: It uses one simple UI for all kinds of NURBS modeling.
  • Super robust: xNURBS is rock solid and works flawlessly.

GTR CarLogo1000.png

GTR Car: Most surfaces of the GTR model are generated by xNURBS.

• Native CAD surfaces: xNURBS is based on NURBS, i.e., the native CAD surfaces, which can be directly used for any CAD modeling operations without any geometry translation.

Hull1000.png

Watertight Jet Ski Hull: All surfaces are generated by xNURBS with G2 continuity.

• Fully support editing and rebuilding.

EditRebuild.gif

For more information, visit https://www.xnurbs.com

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pascal.fessl
in reply to: partnerNRWZF

Cool stuff!

You might also place it with Alias Idea Station!

Message 3 of 10
partnerNRWZF
in reply to: pascal.fessl

@pascal.fessl 

Following your suggestion, we post it on Alias Idea Station: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/alias-ideas/xnurbs-in-alias/idi-p/9542445

(It includes animated GIFs. Could you check if they load and play correctly?)

May I ask you some questions:

Will Alias be replaced by other product? (We know that Autodesk plans to replace Inventor with Fusion 360. When we posted xNURBS on Rhino Forum, it quickly became the hottest thread in Rhino Forum. However, It seems that Alias Forum only has a limited number of users. So we are not sure if Alias would be replaced by other Autodesk product.)

How to get in touch with Alias team and get their suggestion for integrating xNURBS with Alias?

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 10

Hi There, i hope you're keeping well in these strange times, perhaps i can help with a few of your questions and also as a point of contact. My name is Phil Botley and I'm the Alias Product Manager.

Okay the points 😉

'Will Alias be replaced by other product? (We know that Autodesk plans to replace Inventor with Fusion 360. When we posted xNURBS on Rhino Forum, it quickly became the hottest thread in Rhino Forum'

I can't comment on other products, but Alias isn't in-line to replaced any time soon, in fact at the very young age of 35 (!) it's just hitting it's stride and getting started! We celebrate out 35th birthday this year and intend to still be going in another 35 years - hopefully with some ground breaking new tech along the way as we re-define the nature of surfacing and digital industrial design, driven by our customers and the changing nature of design. So in a word 'no'.

'However, It seems that Alias Forum only has a limited number of users. So we are not sure if Alias would be replaced by other Autodesk product'

This is correct, we have a small number of users on the Forum (compared with other forums) for many reasons. Even with these small numbers though, my colleagues in development/sales are always in contact via this forum with users and try to both answer questions and also include ideas in the new code. Now this small number of users shouldn't be seen as an indication of 'Alias being replaced' either, in fact i'd imagine the numbers are increasing. One of the main reasons for the small numbers is that we try to have a very close and intimate relationship with as many customers as feasible - in Europe/America/Japan/China etc. This means many 'face to face meetings' (although we are doing a lot of Zoom meetings now for obvious reasons) as well as regular calls with users and companies to both update the guys on the new tools, as well as get feedback and enhancement requests. This is our usual method of communication and engagement with customers - so yes we have members on the forum but the majority of customer engagements and feedback is direct to ourselves, either face to face or on calls. Quite often 80% of our working year (across the globe) is taken up visiting customer, big and small.

I hope this helps answer those two questions - naturally if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Please feel free to message me re XNURBs so we can have a more formal introduction.

Regards,

Phil

Message 5 of 10

Before implementing anything else, please give us a proper undo feature. As a user since 1991, I can only say the lack of it is really a huge turn-off, particularly for novice users you want to win over.

Message 6 of 10

Here is a new xNURBS tutorial video, which may help users to learn the power of xNURBS:

With just three simple XNurbs operations, the Class-A NURBS model is completed.

@systembolaget 

It is interesting to see how Alias could create such a model.

Message 7 of 10
c3systems
in reply to: partnerNRWZF

Quite interesting. It reminds me of the old N-sided surfaces in Alias, which was later discontinued.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ALIAS/2015/ENU/?guid=SurfacesBoundarysurfacesNsided

Similar functionality existed in Think3, although they are now dead. Similar or better functionality exists in Catia. I think it is better not to open the can of worms called "Class A surfaces". 

At one time cars were made using software like Evans & Sutherlands CDRS, where the surfaces were created with a network of curves. Later Alias tried to impliment the same as "Network Surfaces", which even continues today although as a diluted version.

The point is, so long as the user is only interested in the shape and not about the complexity of the underlying surfaces, these tools could be very useful. But history shows that the "Class A" marketing strategy has created a stumbling block for many new modeling workflows, including SubD surfaces.

Message 8 of 10
partnerNRWZF
in reply to: c3systems

You must follow the NURBS development from 1980s! Yes, xNURBS is based on NURBS, and can be directly used for any CAD modeling operations without any geometry translation.

Our customers heavily use xNURBS for quad-sided surfaces and n-sided surface (For quad-sided surfaces, xNURBS generates better surfaces than the traditional surfacing tools, e.g., Network Surfaces or Boundary Surface etc.).
Here is some comment from a demanding user, very glad xNURBS satisfies their requirement : https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/multiblend-in-rhino-how-to-do/8856/84 .

@c3systems 

"It reminds me of the old N-sided surfaces in Alias, which was later discontinued... Similar or better functionality exists in Catia."
Alias and Catia's N-sided surfaces are both based on variational surfacing tech. (Yes, Autodesk also developed a variational surfacing component.) As you said "better functionality exists in Catia". You are a sharp-eyed NURBS guy. If any surfacing vendor wants to develop some useful tools based on the variational surfacing technique, Catia's variational surfacing component is a minimum requirement in the field. No sure if Autodesk variational surfacing component is actually useful. (We do not pay attention to other software vendors' development and do not think their development would have impact to xNURBS's surfacing capacity.)

Message 9 of 10

@partnerNRWZF wrote:

... We know that Autodesk plans to replace Inventor with Fusion 360 ...

I guess my response to that statement is " what we thought we knew, but didn't" 😉

Peter Doering
Message 10 of 10

@TrippyLighting 

Yes, you may be right. In fact, Autodesk's partners do not know the answer, and it leaves them wondering if they should work with Inventor team or Fusion 360 team.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report