cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Export

Step Export

I have brought this idea though already once, unfortunately, it is voted not enough, although it so many users need.
Finally, Advance Steel must bring an export to Step.
Just for the cuts reaping of complicated cuts in pipes.
All manufacturers of these 3D lasers robots need the Step format.

14 Comments
Austruct
Advocate

The Step import and export functionality needs to be looked at, its becoming critical for interoperability.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi,
we will have a look at it.

The step export you are talking about is only about hollow sections, right?
I am asking because there are other requests for STEP export as well.

Regards,

Gernot

ETheuring
Advocate

Hi Gernot,

no, it will be better, if one can export a STEP for every Advance Steel Objects.

Hollow sections are one of the critical objects. Pipes and Plate there are also important.

Regards

Elias

Ok, but then we are not talking about pipe-laser support anymore.

@ETheuring : I can call you to discuss.

Gernot

jcalosa
Enthusiast

I have to create an app just for this. It's disappointing that such a widely use file is not available for conversion.

Jonathan.Jasinski
Collaborator

is the "Export CIS/2" not what you are looking for.  It exports models to .stp files (which I believe are the same as .step).  I may be wrong here, but just a thought.

ETheuring
Advocate

No, the CIS/2 exports is a special export between CAD systems or to ERP systems.
Though the CIS/2 exports also has the file ending *.stp. However, this is not the same as Step. You can test it yourself. You can export a CIS/2 and try, this file about the AutoCAD import as a Step import. This will not work.

AleckGiles
Advisor

Hi,

Until Autodesk add such functionality to Advance Steel / AutoCAD the Graitec Powerpack for Advance Steel includes a function to export to ACIS, DWG (3D Solids), STEP or IGES files. This can do your whole model or selected parts to individual files named after the part numbers.

ETheuring
Advocate

I have generated this entry because I believe that the Step format should be a standard export format in Advance Steel.
The fact that we have inserted the format in the Graitec Powerpack with, is aware to me completely and it is nice that we are able to do this and I hope that many users our Powerpack shop just, therefore.
Since the Graitec Powerpack for Autodesk Advance Steel still holds ready many other surprises.

https://www.graitec.com/powerpack-for-advance-steel/

RussellNorman
Observer

I have need of exporting to step format also.
These are required by fabricators for their laser cutters. I have tried the method of exploding the advance steel model and then using AutoCAD Mechanical to export the file to step format, but this doesn't export the mark numbers of the beams, nor does it do it individually as required by the fabricators. This way has many potential errors doing it manually....especially when there are 100's of beams.
Can we please have this automated in advance steel?

eric_pilote6QKNS
Community Visitor

Do I need the power pack option to be able to export to STEP from advance steel ? 

I tried to explode my drawing and open it on autocad but I still can't export to STEP ... 

someone can direct me about it ? 

maebingerEX3UQ
Advocate

Not everyone has a need for PowerPack. But they do for Stepexport. It should be a standard in AdvanceSteel. It is uneconomical if you have to buy an extra PowerPack for it.

bigcarl5000kg
Advisor

@maebingerEX3UQ,

another way to do this is to use Autocad Mechanical, for example as part of the AEC collection 

maebingerEX3UQ
Advocate

@bigcarl5000kg 

We are currently doing the same. But that's only a temporary solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report