Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welded round gusset plate possible?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Irreb
494 Views, 8 Replies

Welded round gusset plate possible?

Hello, I am trying to understand if this program is the one for me.

I have quite a custom rafter and i wonder if it is possible to create custom connections like shown in the pdf attached,

mainly the connection between diagonals and chords (top and bottom) using a half moon.

The half moon gusset will be centered to the diagonals cutting through them and welded all around

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Rob_Merriman
in reply to: Irreb

Hi @Irreb 

Yes this is possible with Advance Steel. Is it possibel to fully automate these types of connection, no I dont think so.

Ive made a short screencast showing how I would model it, there will also be other ways - https://autode.sk/3xarBVL

Connection.PNG

If you havent used Advance Steel before I would advise looking into training

Rob Merriman, AEC Technical Lead, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
muleman1
in reply to: Rob_Merriman

@Rob_Merriman where would he look for training? 

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 4 of 9
Irreb
in reply to: Rob_Merriman

@Rob_Merriman wrote:

If you havent used Advance Steel before I would advise looking into training

I haven't used AS in years, last time it was probably 5 years ago.
Where would you suggest me to look for good formative courses?

Message 5 of 9
bigcarl5000kg

every good Advance Steel supplier also offers (various) training, otherwise such a supplier is not good 

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 6 of 9
Irreb
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

@bigcarl5000kg wrote:

every good Advance Steel supplier also offers (various) training, otherwise such a supplier is not good 

What do you mean with "every good advance steel supplier"? the company i work for have bought the license for the Autodesk suite from (i assume) Autodesk.

So again i wonder where would I find good formative courses? I can find many online, but there must be some good to recommend other then Autodesk themselves. 

Message 7 of 9
muleman1

@Irreb you are not by yourself in looking for training. Our reseller is only good at install questions. I too assumed when we purchased Autodesk there would be help. But the only help we have found are the people on this forum who are generous with their time and knowledge. I have a friend who uses Vector Works and he has an 800 number to Vector Works. When he has questions or issues, he is able to talk to the people who made the software and they resolve things normally with one phone call. But unfortunately our experience with Autodesk training and support has been very, very similair as dealing with a crooked used car dealer.....

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 8 of 9
AleckGiles

Hi,

Autodesk rely on resellers to provide support and training on their products. Search for reputable Autodesk resellers near you. Unfortunately, most Autodesk resellers do not have any experience with Advance Steel. They are happy to sell you the product, on its own or as part of the AEC collection, but are unable to train you or support you afterwards.

As a hint, look at the topic listing page of this forum. There is a table on the right of the top solution authors. Click on View All then select All Time. The top four authors all work for two resellers. Those two would be the best place to look for reliable training.

Three of us from the same one. We have offices in 14 countries (one of the largest Autodesk resellers in the world). We can train online for other countries. Autodesk bought Advance Steel from us; we created it. Although some people on this forum obviously had a bad experience with us years ago and have never gotten over it, the facts make it easy to see where the knowledge lies.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 9 of 9
mick-CNF
in reply to: muleman1

For us here as a company in the UK we have Graitec as our reseller because at the time of purchasing they were the only option for training.

We have always had support and added extra licences, Powerpack and Stairs and Railings as we have grown.

The Powerpack and Stairs and Railings have added many great features and I'm sure will continue to do so.

The support from @AleckGiles @Rob_Merriman and @johnjmbennett has always been rapid and excellent.

How that works in other countries I couldn't say, but maybe try to get them as your reseller?

If this information solves your problem please accept as a solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report