Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to move gable posts

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
550 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to move gable posts

Hi,

I've made a gable frame using the gable frame tool, I've added 4 gable posts (two either side) but I can only set them at equal centres, whereas I need them at unequal centres. I have tried to physically move them although they keep snapping back to original position. Short of adding RSJs manually, how can I get around this? 

Thanks, James

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rob_Merriman
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Its not an option within that gable frame macro to unequal gable posts. As you have said you cannot manually move the gable becuase they are being controlled by the macro

There are a couple of options to achieve what you want

1. Delete the gable frame macro box, then you will be able to move everything where you want, although doing this you loose all the intiligence of the macro and wont be able to get it back, once you have deleted the joint box thats it.

2. Within the macro set the number of gable posts to 1 on each side and set them where you want, then copy the gable posts to where you want them, this will leave you with one controlled by the macro and one controlled manaully, but you will get what you want.

Rob Merriman, AEC Technical Lead, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for confirming Rob. To cause further irritation, when propagating gable post to rafter connection, it misses out posts added manually! Major oversight by Autodesk, surely this is an issue encountered by most users on a regular basis?

Message 4 of 5
Rob_Merriman

Hi @Anonymous 

The manual posts did you copy them from the original gable posts or model them from scratch?

If from scratch have you set the model role to the same model role as the gable post?

The propagate joint command looks at the section size and model role of the items, it will only propage if both the section size and model role of both parts of the joint match

Sometimes the propagate doesnt always work perfectly if a beam is too close to the end of the system line on the coresponding beam so thats also somehting to look out for, if this is the case use the "add joint to joint group" command, that will link the joints together

Rob Merriman, AEC Technical Lead, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Rob, 

I did initially model them from scratch but have since found that copying posts and moving them means they are treated equally. Still seems like the gable frame tool should be updated to at least allow placing 2, if not 3 posts per side at different centres.

Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report