Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Totally off Topic Advance Steel Users Ride Thread

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
markhubrich
381 Views, 5 Replies

Totally off Topic Advance Steel Users Ride Thread

Oh yes! Forget about sequence 2 anchor bolt drawings for a few minutes and let us view what us Advance Steel users pride ourselves in on the roads or on the track. 

I'll start!! 

My 2nd favorite thing to do besides modeling stuff is race the 24 Hours of Lemons. I don't mean Le Mon like Ford & Ferrari (because I just don't have that kind of budget lol) I mean Lemon like lemonade :P. It is still endurance racing but using $500 crap cars. The prize money sucks, and the car undergoes serious stress from being beaten like you stole it for 2 days and if you don't blow it up or break it beyond repair that is an achievement in itself ROFL.  

I didn't pick this car for this. It just happened to work out where my brother had this 1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLX with this little issue of being on fire under the dashboard. He tried to pawn it off on me many times, "It has the VR6, it's a sought after motor that people like". I didn't know what this was and I didn't really care. 

Then I learned of 24hoursoflemons 

This was in 2016. The car now has 10 races on it. I now know those strange little VR6 motors well. I also figured out how to stop blowing up motors ar races lol.

Fried and crispy

Hmm, yeah no thanks.Hmm, yeah no thanks.

Made a new wiring harness now lets design rolll cage.

Lets design a roll cage!Lets design a roll cage!

Hey we made it!!

Hey we made it to our 1st race!Hey we made it to our 1st race!

Hmm, we got tagged by a Porsche with a small block Chevy engine.

IMG_20160724_105308940_HDR.jpg

Fix that and get back out there! (It was 103 degrees that day!!)mark1 (2).JPG

Hey lets put active aero on it!!

IMG_20170627_160910 (2).jpg

Hey lets test it!!IMG_20170824_191352.jpg

Lets race it again!!

20180413_122438.jpg

Hey lets use an old school bus to haul our crap around!!

4596.jpeg

Hey lets ditch the trailer LOL. Cut open the back of the bus in the rain 3 days before the race!!

20190929_190954.jpg

Lets put a rolling garage door back there!

20191005_124948.jpg

2 days before the race!! I should probably get the new motor out of the test vehicle and put in racecar!

20191010_092400.jpg

Should probably stuff the car into the back of the bus. 3am the day before the race LOL.20191011_015717.jpg

Hmm, yeah. ๐Ÿ˜„

20191012_145933.jpg

๐Ÿ™„

28385.jpeg

Fix, repeat...u32ginger2019-oct3 (1).JPG

...and fix the kiss export issues.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
acbsdesign
in reply to: markhubrich

Nice,

Thank you for sharing!

I like the marker and the missing 3rd gear ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. Lol. 

What is your family saying about this, just curious.

It must be time-consuming.

I was thinking about getting an older smaller beemer and getting my hands under the hood.

Back when I was student, I had an Italian Fiat Uno, I used to disassemble the entire front suspension and everything around for appr. 45 minutes, and assemble back for appr. 1.5 hours, with no garage, in the back parking of the university, with tools that can be fit inside the trunk, nothing industrial or professional as equipment. The built quality was so poor of those cars then, unbelievable.

The rear suspension-it was a 30min work. So simple.

Nowadays the priorities have changed.

Keep posting, enough ladders, bridges, buildings, catwalks, spacewalks, moonwalks etc.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 3 of 6
markhubrich
in reply to: acbsdesign

LOL, yes it is time consuming, especially when I try dumb stuff like active aero LOL. I got my family involved in it so I'm allowed, my son & son-in-law race it too. My wife doesn't like it so much, but she's put up with me for 21 years so far and knows I do this 3 times a year. Currently we only race 3 times a season near my area, Midwest USA. Gingerman Raceway in Michigan and Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL.

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 4 of 6

@markhubrich wrote:

Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL.

We need no clubs for it...we have it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 5 of 6
acbsdesign
in reply to: markhubrich

We used to maintain these guys for 2 years back in the airforce, with flights usually 3-4 days a week.

MIG-21, pilot use to say that these are the most stable jets to fly due to the fact air enters and exits along the same line:

MIG 21 - 2.jpgMIG 21.jpg

After some time a few  jets came relocated, MIG-23:

MIG 23-1.jpgMIG 23-2.jpg

Another nice looking machine was SU-27

SU-27.jpg

And another one

MIG 29.jpgPugachev's CobraPugachev's Cobra

Pugachev's Cobra,

This is the most memorable show I have ever seen, it was done just for us in the base,  the pilot was crazy and unpredictable, he brought the jet down at a height of appr. 30 +/- meters off the ground (estimated from distance, maybe less or more), with jets pointing straight down, stopped, and then just disappeared straight up.

The video below is not from the same show, we were not allowed to have cameras then.

This is once in a lifetime experience.

Pugachev's Cobra 

Have a great weekend.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
acbsdesign
in reply to: acbsdesign

Another one, 

longer, but worth watching:

MiG-29 OVT crazy maneuverability 

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report