Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Beam (Column) Inside Flange to Rafter Knee Connection - Extend Flange to Match End Plate

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
geralddsmith12
371 Views, 6 Replies

Tapered Beam (Column) Inside Flange to Rafter Knee Connection - Extend Flange to Match End Plate

New user, AS 2024. I have a single slope building with Tapered Columns & Rafters. I used the "Knee of Frame bolted" connection for my column to rafter connection. I want to extend the inside flange of the column to be flush with the top of the End Plate to complete the connection. I can't seem to find anything within the tapered beam advanced properties that will achieve this. Is there an "easy" way to do this? The only other option I thought of was to extend the whole column up to that point, and then cut the web and outside flange back down, but I feel like that will mess up the top plate and possibly have other issues I'm not aware of yet. Any guidance is much appreciated. Model and screenshot attached for reference.

@Sebastian_Eiche I am tagging you as you seem to be the one answering most questions lately.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I hope I understand your request correctly. What you are looking for is the extension of the flanges:

Sebastian_Eiche_0-1704966316753.png

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 7

That is the correct command, it will just not extend up past the cap plate. I have attached screenshots for reference. When I insert a negative value into the extension flange, it works and the flange cuts down. When I insert a positive value, no matter how large, it does not extend upward. Could it possibly have something to do with the cap plate connection limiting the flange? It is part of the "Knee of Frame Bolted" connection. I tried to make the cap gap bigger in case that was the issue, but still did not work. I am also having the same issue with I beam as flange extension is not an option. Do you have suggestion for that as well? I have only been using program for a few weeks and mostly YouTube video taught so it could be something simple I am missing. I have 15+ years with Autodesk Inventor, Revit and AutoCAD so still can find my way around ok. @Sebastian_Eiche 

Ext Negative Value.JPG

Ext Positive Value.JPG

Knee Connection - Tapered Frame.JPG

AS Knee Connection - I Beam.JPG

Knee Connection - I Beam.JPG

    

Message 4 of 7

you're right this is not possible, becuase you set a "endplate" in the connection.
I think the best way is to create this is two steps:

• boltet haunch without an endplate, the checkbox for continuous is important, otherwise the column will be shorten (the whole beam) 
    Sebastian_Eiche_0-1704982367763.png

• in the setting of the beam the displaytype could be set to "sperate"
    Sebastian_Eiche_1-1704982686165.png

• So you could cut only 2 of the 3 elements and place a plate there.

I know not the best way, maybe someone else has a better idea.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 5 of 7

I removed the "Knee of Frame Bolted" connection. I was able to extend the flange. Redid the "Knee of Frame Bolted" and it cut the flange back again. Removed the cap plate, and cut out the web and outside flange to get the Column Profile I am looking for. Still need to add a cap plate so used "End Plate at Flange" and it cuts the flange back again. Any ideas on how to achieve the connection I need given this extra information and now knowing the cap plate seems to be the limiter?  @Sebastian_Eiche 

Column before Cap Plate.JPG

Column with Cap Plate.JPG

Message 6 of 7

you will always have the following problem:
Joints are only working on beams. if you use a tapered beam, it will be cut as "one beam" to there will be no chance to use a joint for the cap plate.
I would seperate the tapered beam, cut the plates and place a plate+weld there.

Sebastian_Eiche_0-1704983419130.png

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Thank you for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report