Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet / Drawing Numbers ??

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
motleyt
4829 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet / Drawing Numbers ??

I am using the numbering method with the drawing number included. I have numbered with the internal number, created the drawings and had the program renumber my members with a mark dependent on the drawing name. However, I need to revise a few of the sheet numbers/drawing numbers (BTW, what is the correct terminology with Advance Steel in this case: Sheet numbers or Drawing Numbers?) because the software automatically assigned sheet numbers and they are not what I would prefer. However, no matter how I rename the sheet, it will not update my member label to include the sheet number? See below for example. 

Is there a specific process you should use to rename a drawing when using this specific numbering method? I have updated the drawings several times. I have even manually changed the sheet number using the hypersteelheader block in the drawing itself. Thanks. 

Image 14.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
motleyt
in reply to: motleyt

maybe a less confusing question to start with would be: what is the best way to rename/renumber sheets/drawings you have created? Especially if the member numbering includes the drawing number method?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Good question

Very interested in a reply to this.

Similar question

I have been trying to re-use a very complicated assembly drawing with a lot of 2D editing required.

It was quantity 2 off but now its 2 different assemblies. (Stub added to 1 off)

Please advise how to do this without having to re-edit the new assembly.

In other words how to substitute the Mark number in a drawing.

Message 4 of 5
DumitruBerteanu

For Advance Steel sheet and drawing number have a slightly different meaning, but not targeting the desired output. Basically when creating the drawings, the token %Flat in the drawing file name configuration will write the sheet number, which will be equal to the internal drawing number atributed to the drawing file.
But, once the drawings are created, the dwg name - sheet number will no longer be "linked" to the internal drawing number, which is used by Advance Steel model to realise the numbering of the elements.
Renaming the drawing itself will not change the internal drawing number, so the parts detailed on the sheet will not have their part mark changed. The rename is only a simple filename change for the .dwg file on the disk.
With the next Advance Steel version you will be able to change the internal drawing number of the drawing, which will trigger an update in sheet name and also in the part marks used inside the model.
There are two workaround that can be used to handle this requierment in the current version:
1. You can choose to manually change the part marks. For this you can open the object (for example the main part for one of the assemblies) and change the main part mark. At this point all the main parts with the same mark (so part of the same group) will recieve the change, and you will also be able to udpate the drawing labels and titles accordingly.
Note : when performing manual change, AS identical part detection will not stop you from assigning identical part marks to different objects, so proceed carefully. Running a numbering afterwards can avoid situations of objects with the same mark that are different.

By doing this, you will NOT change the sheet number, for which you still need to run a manual operation of drawing rename.
2. You can force the change of the drawing numbering by using drawing deregister/register functionallities.
Workflow:
Deregister the drawing to which you want to change the drawing number from the model.
Create a dummy drawing instead of it, by forcing the drawing number manually (for example you deregistered the drawing 023, which means that number 023 is now vacant. When creating a new drawing with a drawing style, you can choose the drawing number -> choose 023).
Once the drawing is created and registered to the model, try to register the initial drawing back. Because number 023 is now used, Advance Steel will not be able to register the drawing back without having its drawing number changed. A dialog will pop up telling that the drawing number 023 is already in used, and it will give you the option to input any drawing number you want. If you input an existing drawing number, the OK button will be greyed out and you won't be able to continue.
After you registered drawing 023 back with a different number, you can degister the dummy 023 detail or delete it.
Once the old 023 drawing is registered with a different drawing number, run a numbering on the model to force change the part marks for the objects that were on drawing 023 to match the new drawing number.
Update the drawing to apply the change in part mark to the drawings.
Rename the sheet number manually for the detail file.

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: DumitruBerteanu

Thanks for that information, much appreciated.

Hope that this can be used as a template type arrangement

in the new version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report