Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAG RODS

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dcubbedge
4124 Views, 9 Replies

SAG RODS

Every day I come across something that makes me think that Advance Steel is a great product put together by some intelligent software developers that haven't a clue about structural steel!  I find it incredulous that Advance Steel does not have a macro for creating sag rods! 

I have created one using the solution found here on the forum. What model role do I give it? There is no model role for sag rods!

How do I create a new model role? Is this possible?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CHRIS_ASDL
in reply to: dcubbedge

Are you referring to the type of sag rods in the screen shot?

Sag Rods.PNG

Kind Regards

Chris
Message 3 of 10
dcubbedge
in reply to: CHRIS_ASDL

Yes, similar, except mine don't tie purlins together. Mine are vertical. I didn't think to look in the purlin area.... I will investigate right now.

Message 4 of 10
dcubbedge

I tried "Side Rail Anti Sag", but it is looking for "rails" and I have "beams". All of the items in that menu group are looking for "rails".

Message 5 of 10
CHRIS_ASDL

Yes, unfortunately the purlin anti sag macros only work on Cold Rolled sections.

Kind Regards

Chris
Message 6 of 10
johnjmbennett
in reply to: CHRIS_ASDL

hi, 

There is a macro inside AS that is designed to place Generic side rail Sag rod and tube elements within the model,  this is available for all different countries, but may need configuring for the country you are in.   For example in the the UK it is use with Cold rolled profiles,  but in the USA it can be either Cold formed sections or hot formed Channels etc.

you will find it on the AS connections palette. 

please see screen cast to see how to apply the macro for Purlins/rail/girt insert and then how to apply the Side Rail - Sag rod and Tube macro to said rails/girts/beams.

it is not limited to only cold rolled profiles. 

http://autode.sk/2eHLpHC

hope this helps out

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
dcubbedge
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Thanks John for taking the time to make me this video. I did find it very useful as information I was lacking, but I'm not sure if it solves my immediate problem. I will try and implement and respond with my results.

One thing that I need is for the sag rod to be all-thread and to have washers and nuts. We almost always use this combination - we never weld them in.

I have a similar issue with another job I've done where there were threaded rods sandwiching a wall between structural tubes. I could not create this threaded rod and fasteners.

Message 8 of 10
johnjmbennett

We use this to call up the sag rods, from this they know it is threaded by the type of round bar we select.

We have particular profiles in the system for sag bars, these designate the requirement by their product reference.

By calling up the rod at right length and quantity they know the number of nuts and washers required.

We have never added all the nuts and washers to these. Just note it on the drawing or via user attribute.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
dcubbedge

That sounds like my solution. I have done similar for some other items that I've had to detail, like shim plates that were 0.020" thick.

Sometimes I find it's easy to get hung up with what we'd like to see based on our experience - but with Advance often we have to look for alternate solutions based upon the limitations of the software. Not meant to be a criticism, just an observation!

Thanks very much for your input here, you've been a great help. As we chat I have used that sag rod macro to install my rods - just need to tweak their geometry. It works!

Message 10 of 10
CHRIS_ASDL

Thanks for clarifying that John. Its handy to know that this will also work on hot rolled sections. 

Kind Regards

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report