Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel - Railing - How to include "M" part to include the post beyond the bend?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jdk5225g
248 Views, 3 Replies

Advance Steel - Railing - How to include "M" part to include the post beyond the bend?

What am I doing wrong here? I want the "M" part to include the post beyond the bend. And why are the other parts "M"?

M part.jpg

Thank you

JK 

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Railing]

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
muleman1
in reply to: jdk5225g

The only way I've been able to do that is to get the rail exactly the way it needs to be, then "save as" so you have an original back up model. Then delete the macro box, trace the center line of the end and top rails with a 2D polyline (you will have to rotate UCS approprately), delete the top and end rails, fillet the corners of the 2D polyline to match the radius of the desired bend, then use "beam at polyline" command.

I am far from expert and I'm sure there is a better way, but if there is I don't know it.....

Polyrail_SS.png

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 3 of 4
Rob_Merriman

Hi @jdk5225g 

One thing you could do is set the posts 1m from the end of the rail, then for the handrail start & set set the ending to Downstand, for the value of the downstand set it to the height of your railing, then you cantick "use polybeam" this will give you waht you want.
Downstand.png

Only downside to this is I had to set the middle rail to stop at the last post otherwise it puts a downstand on the middle rail. This middle rail can be added manually and welded back into the railing, you dont need to delete the macro to weld something to it.

Rob Merriman, AEC Technical Lead, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
handjonathan

Hi @jdk5225g 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   Have the solutions suggested by @muleman1 @Rob_Merriman helped with your issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report