Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM for Structural Steel Introduction + Steel Detailing Roadmap

74 REPLIES 74
Message 1 of 75
piotr_pysz
9285 Views, 74 Replies

PM for Structural Steel Introduction + Steel Detailing Roadmap

Hello Everyone!  

I would like to use the opportunity to introduce myself and drop some important notes and announcements. 

My name is Piotr Pysz and I recently joined Autodesk as a Product Manager for Steel Structures.  

I graduated as a Structural Engineer from Cracow University of Technology. For the first 4 years of my career, I worked in a small Structural Engineering office. Then I moved to a big Steel Detailing company based in the US where I spent the last 9 years. I went through all the steps starting as a draftsman editing shop and part drawings, then moved to the modeling and connecting department, became a checker after a few years, and finally a team leader responsible for the international team of Steel Detailers. 

During my Steel Detailing career, I had the opportunity to work on some major development projects like Mercedes Benz Stadium, Orange County Museum of Arts, or Norwegian Cruise Terminal. 

You can find me on LinkedIn if you want to connect!  

As you know In March last year, we announced that we are investing in BIM-centric steel detailing workflow in Revit with the intention to connect design and detailing. To accelerate this plan, we have decided to transition Advance Steel into Maintenance mode (blog post).  

We’ve promised to be transparent about our plans and to come back with an updated roadmap for Steel Detailing.  

I know that some of you have already seen the new version >> Revit – Structure Roadmap, however, I felt like communicating this directly here is the right thing to do. 

Some of you already gave us very constructive feedback – thank you very much for that!  

We have heard a lot of misconceptions about what’s going to happen next to Advance Steel due to the above investments in Revit. I wanted to address some of the main concerns here and give you more insights into the Development process. 

What does it mean that Advance Steel is in maintenance mode? 

It means that we are providing customer support for the product, porting it to the new versions of AutoCAD, fixing major bugs, and providing all the functionalities that it has today. It also means that we are not developing new features or functionalities for Advance Steel. 

What is the future of Advance Steel? 
We understand the critical role that Advance Steel plays in your workflow and business. Advance Steel continues to be available in our portfolio with its existing value bringing its specialization in Steel Detailing and Fabrication to the collection. 

What is the timeframe for developing Revit as a fully functional steel detailing software? 
Developing Revit as a fully functional steel detailing software is a multi-year endeavor. There are fundamental capabilities that any Steel Detailing software should possess, such as the automated creation of assemblies when you weld or bolt elements together, the automatic numbering of identical parts, and the ability to automatically generate fabrication drawings or NC files. These are some of the foundational functionalities that Revit is currently missing. 

Your input as a community has been invaluable in helping us identify which tools and capabilities are most important to you as we continue to develop and improve our solutions. We understand the importance of having tools that are reliable, intuitive, easy to use, and customizable. Tools that enhance productivity, streamline collaboration, and automate repetitive tasks.   

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we look to enhance solutions with this in mind and work towards a BIM-centric Steel Detailing tool. 

I am a Steel Detailer, and I do not care about BIM. All I need is reliable and robust Steel Detailing software 

As a Steel Detailer myself, I completely understand where this is coming from. The priority is always to have robust and reliable software that enables us to carry out work efficiently. Discussions about BIM and data exchange with Engineers can seem academic without the right tools in place. 

That said, our strategy is two-pronged. Our primary focus is on incorporating the Steel Detailing capabilities from Advance Steel into Revit. Simultaneously, we're dedicated to addressing the challenges and limitations that you've so effectively communicated to us via the Ideas Station. 

This approach helps ensure that we're not just bringing in new features, but also making necessary improvements to the existing system. Our goal is to offer you a comprehensive tool that meets your Steel Detailing needs while also providing the added benefits of BIM integration. 

----- 

Finally, we have decided to make some changes to the configuration of the Advance Steel category on the Community Forums. We have made the decision to archive both the Advance Steel Ideas and Advance Steel Customization boards.   

Why: 

Advance Steel Ideas: We do not want to set false expectations around the development of Advance Steel.  

Advance Steel Customization: Following an audit of the board, it does not meet the criteria for success, and coupled with the community also using the Advance Steel Forum for customization relation topics, we have decided to move the content from this board to the Advance Steel Forum.  

How: 

The Advance Steel Ideas & Advance Steel Customization board will change to read-only on March 29, 2024, and then it will be archived.

Will archiving delete the thread? 

No, Archiving moves the thread from the affected board to a forum archive. 

Will this content be linked to the thread once archived? 

As new community content is created, archived content will be cross-linked to ensure the validity and consistency of the archived content. E.g., If an old link to an archived forum topic is selected, this link will redirect to the new piece of community-generated content. 

Piotr Pysz
Product Manager
74 REPLIES 74
Message 41 of 75

There is zero 'cloning' in particular example  - pure copy of assembly, moved away from original position, very common practice in our daily work for modular structures.

Frankly, years ago we moved to Advance Steel exactly , because we thought that it will be perfect to our range of modular products, only later on to realize that it is better to stick with ‘dumb’ AutoCAD dwg’s, at least we can reuse drawings without re-doing the same thing all over again just because bay width changed, or additional bay added. What a waist.

Message 42 of 75
bigcarl5000kg
in reply to: piotr_pysz

as I mentioned, subassemblies are standard in SolidWorks, Inventor, ... I doubt Autodesk will implement this in Revit 

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 43 of 75

@egidijus_drafting 

Just for my interest

Is this an original detailstyle with manual adjustments or customized one?

Is it older or fresh created in 2024?
Moving dimensions and labels are very rare from version 2023 onwards from my experience.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 44 of 75

• Detail style is mix of both – customized + manual adjustment, like many other projects (unfortunately it is not possible get drawings 100% customized, that’s why we users asked for cloning way to long).
  • I run 2024 version.
  • ‘Moving dimensions and labels are very rare from 2023’ – mhm… really?...I don’t know what projects you work on, so cannot say what you experience, frankly I give up reporting bugs, because it has never been addressed, all I hear is:

Thank you for the model and the video showing the issue.

I have reproduced the behavior on my side too.

I am documenting all changes and sending them to the development team for further investigation.

Message 45 of 75

as maybe a few users know, I'm working as technical supporter for a reseller... in my case, this is not the experience of my projects...I see a lot of project of our customers. 
And from this side of view, the dimension and labelings are working good in the most cases (I'm not saying "always"). 

The question from my side was: do you run detailstyles which are created in this version or do you use them for a few years and migrate databases?

And to your last point: what answer do you want to hear from a technical support of Autodesk? He could reproduce it and send it to the development. They will have a look for it and try to remove this issue.

Why do you stop sending the problem? If you send it one time, the issue is reported one time. A software development work with priority: problem send one time--> priority low...problem send often ---> priority higher.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 46 of 75

No offense, but technical support is not detailing actual projects – I see you on this forum, there is no doubt about your deep knowledge regarding Advance Steel, however it is clear also that ‘I see a lot of projects’ does not put you in detailers' shoes.

On question why I’m reporting less and less over the years – simply because in my case there are over hundred cases reported, I’m sure other users are similar, it takes time to report the issue, frankly I have work to do, + with Autodesk not addressing the bugs we lose motivation and as you know the ADVS on maintenance mode, I’m pretty sure that means nothing major will be worked on.

Lastly, of course we migrate databases - it takes lots of hours to customize drawing style, doing from the scratch with new release just don’t make sense to us + additionally, I always come back to update drawing styles with some new dims or similar.

Message 47 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @egidijus_drafting,

I have a similar experience, direct contact with the product manager of Advance Steel ... at the end of our juicy conversation, he asked me if I was interested in switching to Revit ... I almost couldn't stop laughing...I sent him a discussed list of errors / problems ... and he never heard back

+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 48 of 75

Funny you mention Revit – I have done few projects (models only) with it, it is powerful tool, however hard to see how it will match or be even close to Advance Steel capabilities for steel detailing, but hey Autodesk knows better 🙂

Revit.png

Message 49 of 75

Very common and normal scenario: workshop details done,  clients rings to inform that he wants to move electrical access panel up by 500;

Since you rarely see moving dims and labels, here’s the real-life little example for you ↓

Message 50 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

as I see you are also waiting for some stable version 😁😉

Message 51 of 75
george1985

Hi @piotr_pysz 
I logged in today, and saw that both Customization and Ideas forums have been removed.
Is there a reason for that? These two sections had so many brilliant topics about API and ideas in them. 😞

george1985_0-1714676749652.png

Message 52 of 75

I hope the management save the ideas...most of them will be needed in revit too

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 53 of 75
handjonathan
in reply to: george1985

Hi @george1985 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   As notified to the community on 22nd February in this thread, we have decided to make some changes to the configuration of the Advance Steel category on the Community Forums. We have made the decision to archive both the Advance Steel Ideas and Advance Steel Customization boards.   

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 54 of 75
george1985
in reply to: handjonathan

Thank you for the reply @handjonathan 
I understand that and both "Ideas" and "Customization" boards have been closed for new topics in the last few weeks - so archived.
But since today, they totally disappeared.
So not only that new topic can not be opened in them - but they also can't be accessed through the Advance Steel forums category:

george1985_0-1714680512101.png

Message 55 of 75
handjonathan

Hi @george1985 

This is expected when archiving, the boards are not visible or accessible at the category level. As advised in the announcement thread here, all customization topics have been moved to the main Advance Steel Forum and are still accessible. 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 56 of 75
george1985

Hi @handjonathan ,
Thank you for the reply.
So if I understood you correctly, all topics from "Ideas" and "Customization" boards are now inside the "Advance Steel Forum" board?

Message 57 of 75
Flies-Eyes

Thanks for requesting clearer definitions from the vendor.  I am sick to death of having to read between the lines, second guess or reverse engineer their announcements.

Message 58 of 75
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

@bigcarl5000kg Revit has zero understanding of project spatial structures. Revit can't even accommodate another Revit model, that tells you plenty about their proprietary geometry and data management! 

It would seem their strategy is to convince Users to work to how the Revit geometry and data is structured, rather than adapting their software to how the industry operates. 

Message 59 of 75
bigcarl5000kg
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

Hi @Flies-Eyes ,

that's why our ancestors used to say, don't step into the same river twice. 😁👍

Message 60 of 75
j.hamelin
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

Here's what ChatGPT had to say about it :

Do Autodesk have advantages killing Advance Steel and put every functionnality Advance Steel has into Revit?

ChatGPT

Autodesk, the company behind both Revit and Advance Steel, has not officially announced any plans to discontinue Advance Steel or to merge all of its functionalities directly into Revit. Both Revit and Advance Steel serve different purposes and cater to different segments of the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction) industry.

Here are a few reasons why Autodesk might choose to keep Advance Steel as a separate product rather than integrating all of its functionalities into Revit:

1. Specialized Functionality: Advance Steel is specifically tailored for steel detailing and fabrication, offering specialized tools and workflows that cater to the needs of structural engineers and steel detailers. These functionalities might not be easily replicated within Revit without significantly increasing its complexity.

2. Existing User Base: Advance Steel has a dedicated user base that relies on its unique features and capabilities for their day-to-day work. Discontinuing Advance Steel without providing an adequate replacement or transition plan could disrupt workflows for these users.

3. Market Differentiation: By offering both Revit and Advance Steel as separate products, Autodesk can cater to a wider range of users with different needs and preferences within the AEC industry. Some users may prefer the all-encompassing BIM capabilities of Revit, while others may require the specialized tools and workflows of Advance Steel for steel detailing and fabrication.

While Autodesk may continue to enhance interoperability between Revit and Advance Steel to facilitate smoother collaboration and data exchange between the two platforms, it's unlikely that they would completely eliminate Advance Steel in favor of integrating all of its functionalities into Revit.

You
What if they does?

ChatGPT

If Autodesk were to decide to discontinue Advance Steel and integrate all of its functionalities into Revit, there would likely be both benefits and challenges associated with such a move.

Benefits:

1. Unified Workflow: Users who currently work with both Revit and Advance Steel would benefit from having a more unified workflow within a single software environment. This could streamline processes and reduce the need for data transfer between different platforms.

2. Simplified Licensing: Combining Advance Steel functionalities into Revit could simplify licensing and subscription models for users, potentially reducing costs and administrative overhead associated with managing multiple software licenses.

3. Enhanced Collaboration: Integration of Advance Steel functionalities into Revit could facilitate better collaboration among project stakeholders, as all aspects of the design and fabrication process would be managed within a single software platform.

Challenges:

1. Learning Curve: Users accustomed to working with Advance Steel may face a learning curve when transitioning to a new workflow within Revit. They would need to familiarize themselves with new tools and workflows, which could impact productivity in the short term.

2. Feature Parity: Ensuring that Revit includes all the advanced functionalities currently offered by Advance Steel would be a significant undertaking for Autodesk. Achieving feature parity could take time and resources, and there may be limitations in replicating certain specialized tools and workflows.

3. User Resistance: Some users may resist the change, particularly those who rely heavily on the specialized functionalities of Advance Steel for their day-to-day work. Autodesk would need to provide adequate support and training to help users transition smoothly to the new integrated platform.

Ultimately, whether such a decision would be beneficial would depend on how effectively Autodesk manages the transition process, addresses the needs of existing Advance Steel users, and delivers on the promise of a more integrated and efficient workflow within Revit.

----
Are we just affraid?
Are we just a bunch of guys too old to accept changes?
Are we just unconfidant of what Autodesk can bring to us in the futur?
Or are we just aware that these changes can most likely mess up our day-to-day tools, the one who bring foods on our family table?
We don't want slow and painful transition. Uncertainty is what killing all of us. We can't afford sitting between chairs...

Today, most of video games developper use the PreRelease method while reading EVERY users comments on forum and try to IMPLEMENT most of the most populars ideas according to pleases every users needs. Thats' what bring them to success.

Actually ADVS meet 94% of my needs. Will Revit reach this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report