Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM for Structural Steel Introduction + Steel Detailing Roadmap

74 REPLIES 74
Message 1 of 75
piotr_pysz
9304 Views, 74 Replies

PM for Structural Steel Introduction + Steel Detailing Roadmap

Hello Everyone!  

I would like to use the opportunity to introduce myself and drop some important notes and announcements. 

My name is Piotr Pysz and I recently joined Autodesk as a Product Manager for Steel Structures.  

I graduated as a Structural Engineer from Cracow University of Technology. For the first 4 years of my career, I worked in a small Structural Engineering office. Then I moved to a big Steel Detailing company based in the US where I spent the last 9 years. I went through all the steps starting as a draftsman editing shop and part drawings, then moved to the modeling and connecting department, became a checker after a few years, and finally a team leader responsible for the international team of Steel Detailers. 

During my Steel Detailing career, I had the opportunity to work on some major development projects like Mercedes Benz Stadium, Orange County Museum of Arts, or Norwegian Cruise Terminal. 

You can find me on LinkedIn if you want to connect!  

As you know In March last year, we announced that we are investing in BIM-centric steel detailing workflow in Revit with the intention to connect design and detailing. To accelerate this plan, we have decided to transition Advance Steel into Maintenance mode (blog post).  

We’ve promised to be transparent about our plans and to come back with an updated roadmap for Steel Detailing.  

I know that some of you have already seen the new version >> Revit – Structure Roadmap, however, I felt like communicating this directly here is the right thing to do. 

Some of you already gave us very constructive feedback – thank you very much for that!  

We have heard a lot of misconceptions about what’s going to happen next to Advance Steel due to the above investments in Revit. I wanted to address some of the main concerns here and give you more insights into the Development process. 

What does it mean that Advance Steel is in maintenance mode? 

It means that we are providing customer support for the product, porting it to the new versions of AutoCAD, fixing major bugs, and providing all the functionalities that it has today. It also means that we are not developing new features or functionalities for Advance Steel. 

What is the future of Advance Steel? 
We understand the critical role that Advance Steel plays in your workflow and business. Advance Steel continues to be available in our portfolio with its existing value bringing its specialization in Steel Detailing and Fabrication to the collection. 

What is the timeframe for developing Revit as a fully functional steel detailing software? 
Developing Revit as a fully functional steel detailing software is a multi-year endeavor. There are fundamental capabilities that any Steel Detailing software should possess, such as the automated creation of assemblies when you weld or bolt elements together, the automatic numbering of identical parts, and the ability to automatically generate fabrication drawings or NC files. These are some of the foundational functionalities that Revit is currently missing. 

Your input as a community has been invaluable in helping us identify which tools and capabilities are most important to you as we continue to develop and improve our solutions. We understand the importance of having tools that are reliable, intuitive, easy to use, and customizable. Tools that enhance productivity, streamline collaboration, and automate repetitive tasks.   

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we look to enhance solutions with this in mind and work towards a BIM-centric Steel Detailing tool. 

I am a Steel Detailer, and I do not care about BIM. All I need is reliable and robust Steel Detailing software 

As a Steel Detailer myself, I completely understand where this is coming from. The priority is always to have robust and reliable software that enables us to carry out work efficiently. Discussions about BIM and data exchange with Engineers can seem academic without the right tools in place. 

That said, our strategy is two-pronged. Our primary focus is on incorporating the Steel Detailing capabilities from Advance Steel into Revit. Simultaneously, we're dedicated to addressing the challenges and limitations that you've so effectively communicated to us via the Ideas Station. 

This approach helps ensure that we're not just bringing in new features, but also making necessary improvements to the existing system. Our goal is to offer you a comprehensive tool that meets your Steel Detailing needs while also providing the added benefits of BIM integration. 

----- 

Finally, we have decided to make some changes to the configuration of the Advance Steel category on the Community Forums. We have made the decision to archive both the Advance Steel Ideas and Advance Steel Customization boards.   

Why: 

Advance Steel Ideas: We do not want to set false expectations around the development of Advance Steel.  

Advance Steel Customization: Following an audit of the board, it does not meet the criteria for success, and coupled with the community also using the Advance Steel Forum for customization relation topics, we have decided to move the content from this board to the Advance Steel Forum.  

How: 

The Advance Steel Ideas & Advance Steel Customization board will change to read-only on March 29, 2024, and then it will be archived.

Will archiving delete the thread? 

No, Archiving moves the thread from the affected board to a forum archive. 

Will this content be linked to the thread once archived? 

As new community content is created, archived content will be cross-linked to ensure the validity and consistency of the archived content. E.g., If an old link to an archived forum topic is selected, this link will redirect to the new piece of community-generated content. 

Piotr Pysz
Product Manager
74 REPLIES 74
Message 61 of 75
handjonathan
in reply to: george1985

Hi @george1985 

No, the custimisation board topics only are moved to the Advance Steel Forum. The Ideas board is archived and not available for viewing. This is as per the update here.

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 62 of 75
bigcarl5000kg
in reply to: j.hamelin

Hi @j.hamelin,

how is it possible that chatGPT knows more than the developer? Doesn't Marty Mcfly have a hand in it by any chance?

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 63 of 75
sdonohoedesign
in reply to: piotr_pysz

My 2p worth......

What amazes me is that the vast majority of experienced detailers on this forum are against any change to Revit.  We know how to use AS, are currently working very efficiently and can see current AS's potential.  Autodesk have decided to ignore the users.  Instead of taking a 95% complete software and tweaking it, they have decided to re-start from scratch and integrate it into a platform that clearly isn't suitable for most of our needs.

To Autodesk we are nothing but a number and if you look at recent actions such as stopping perpetual, discontinuing maintenance, killing old licences, named user licence changes, etc you can see the only thing that interests Autodesk is more profit.

I would be very worried if I were on subscription because one day soon Autodesk will kill current AS and try to push all current users onto it's new creation.  Who wants to be guinea pig for Autodesk's experiment?  I have bills to pay thank you.

Message 64 of 75
j.hamelin
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

@bigcarl5000kg  Great Scott, I don't know!

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users
Message 65 of 75
jess_neal

Speaking for myself, the change to Revit from Autocad based software will be an enormous efficiency killer. I, along with countless other users, have been using Autocad based software for decades. I have a huge customized Lisp routine library that I use all day every day. If I have to click icons for everything it will A) absolutely murder my efficiency and B) will severely hamper doing any sort of custom steel work.  I guess I'll have to jump ship to another Autocad based detailing software if this is truly what is going to happen. So disappointing after giving so much money and time to Autodesk over the last 30 years. Just another case in point of them not listening to their customers at all. AS could have been dream software with some more work but they are scrapping it in favor of something trendy that looks good to the board of directors bank accounts.  Sell it back to Graitec so we can have good, efficient Autocad based detailing software. 

Message 66 of 75
FCort
in reply to: jess_neal

@jess_neal  Agree 100% with you. When Advance-Steel was in Graitec hands, there were big improvements and quicker responses from the developers. Also, there was a stand-alone version of AS.

Message 67 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

Haha, like answer from AI account 😀😉

+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 68 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

I just hope that users will not have to watch similar series like these programs:

https://www.cadnauseam.com/autodesk-graveyard/

Message 69 of 75
Tony_Gibbs

Piotr Pysz Autodesk has got you babbling this corporate stuff. Why are you embarrasing yourself in front of all the AS users. Autodesk just dont get it when it comes to listening to the faithful AS users who for years have been asking for the same things to be fixed. I am an AS user and have been a steel detailer for decades and just want to detail steel. I am not interseted in BIM. Why do I need Revit? 

My suggestion is for Autodesk to give AS back to Gratec. Let all the happy AS users deal with a company who can provide advancements and service for AS. 

Shame on you Autodesk and your greedy board of directors.

@Tony_Gibbs - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 70 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

Business Interesting Model, unfortunately

Message 71 of 75
vuongbui.nuce
in reply to: Tony_Gibbs

perfect answer!!! Essentially, when they integrate steel into Revit (I'm not sure if they can do it effectively or not), they should continue to develop Advance Steel. The software has too many bugs, and I still have to pay Autodesk just to use a 'maintenance mode' software. I'm not sure if I will continue working with Autodesk after my current renewal period ends. But for now, I'm quite disappointed with what Revit can do with steel and how they have abandoned Advance Steel users.
Message 72 of 75
Tony_Gibbs

Come on Piotr Pysz how about the guts to reply and tell us all how Autodesk are not ripping off AS users. h9ow about putting your job on the line if Autodesk doesnt letus down again. 

If an emplotee or a manager in any other company was to say and do what Autodesk is doing to its faithful users they would be sacked on the spot.

Here's a challenge to all the faithful AS users: go and tell Autodesk that they are doing the wrong thing here. They are sending yet another good piece of software to the graveyard. 

@Tony_Gibbs - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 73 of 75
bigcarl5000kg

Imposing SW on users that they don't need and persistently not fixing/developing SW that they need ... very good business plan and a money pump for other "investments" ... where the comrades from Bavaria / Germany in 11/2013 made a mistake?

Message 74 of 75
garretV8RZ4

How in the world do you justify a 17% price increase over last year when this software isn't in active development? What in the actual.  

@garretV8RZ4 - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 75 of 75
vuongbui.nuce
in reply to: garretV8RZ4

this is PAIN POINT!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report