Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate Dimensions in BOM on Drawing

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
TomR_au
1219 Views, 15 Replies

Plate Dimensions in BOM on Drawing

Can anyone help me understand how the dimensions of plates are calculated.

No amount of fiddling with part/assembly detailing direction can I get the BOM to match the dimensions of the plate.

2018-11-13 12_27_41-1089-0225-A2 Advance Steel - Bluebeam Revu x64.png

----
Tom Roberts
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Sebastian_Eiche
in reply to: TomR_au

looks like polygonal plate, the plate is described in the name with length and the width and therefore a circumscribe rectangle is used for, because this is needed to create such a plate (if you do not use a laser).
There is a Default in the management tools for the "Calculation rule for plate area and extension" maybe you change it here to "smallest circumscribe rectangle"

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 16
TomR_au
in reply to: Sebastian_Eiche

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the suggestion. My default was already "smallest circumscribing rectangle".
I tried some of the other settings but it only effects the mass (and area) values.

The problem is that the calculated width/length does not align to the plate CS.

For now I have resorted to exploding the BOM and editing the values just to get the job complete.

----
Tom Roberts
Message 4 of 16
Sebastian_Eiche

could you upload the plate?

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 5 of 16
TomR_au

Hi Sebastian,

File attached as requested.

----
Tom Roberts
Message 6 of 16
Sebastian_Eiche

ok, here we are. I open the model and see, that the plate is not detailed correct, because of the internal coordinate system. If you use the UCS at Object command, the UCS is placed orthogonal to this side, but it looks like, after creating the plate, it's maybe rotated (with AutoCAD commands?) so the UCS is not placed correct. The plate is not rectangle, I hope this is known to you (90.6° not much, but this maybe cause the problem)
I use UCS 3 points and then define the object detailing definition, looks correct after doing this.

By changing the detailing direction, I let the old one in the model to show you the little roation.
I made a screencast for you:  https://autode.sk/2DBQOhv

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
TomR_au

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Yes, I am aware the plate is not a rectangle. That is what is causing my problem.

If you check the screenshot in my original post you will see that I get dimensions of 416x504, same as you.
But this is not what I need.

I need the plate orientated with the chamfered edges in the X direction on the 2D drawing as shown in my snapshot.

Then the overall dimensions should be 419x500

----
Tom Roberts
Message 8 of 16
Sebastian_Eiche

Sorry but I'm not sure what you want 😃

If I change the detailing direction to the side with the camfered edge, the dimension is 500x421 and this is what you need in the naming of the plate - correct?

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 9 of 16

now I see the problem 😃 

the naming is definitely not correct, just let me do some tests.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 10 of 16

so with help of a friend @ETheuring we get it.
As already wrote, Advance Steel is named the plate with the minimum describing rectangle. So it took a while, but as already, the software do it better then us 😃
Here is a screencast: Test_rect

I tried it on every corner and this is definitely the smalest rectangle

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
TomR_au

Hi Sebastian,

Are you saying this is expected behavior? I say this is a bug.

Width x length direction should be controlled by detailing direction imo.

----
Tom Roberts
Message 12 of 16
Sebastian_Eiche

it's not a bug---it's a feature Smiley LOL
In my opinion this is really a feature which is good for the most people but I could be wrong. Maybe there's a setting for this, but then it's not known to me (what does not mean, that it's not existing)
Maybe @Emanuel.Nestor could have a look and give a few additional notes?

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
roxana_vatrici

Hello @TomR_au

Thank you using Advance Steel forum!

What Sebastian suggests you regarding the internal CS and name is correct.

The dimension 416x504 (widthxlength) is correct, due to the fact that the values are chosen from the two edges of the plate and taking into account that the plate it's slightly rotated from the plane.

I create a video for this situation: https://autode.sk/2OIhLkV

If you have a feature request, please use the Idea Station to submit it.

Thank you and have a good day!

Roxana Vatrici

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Message 14 of 16
tuwim01

Hello,

I wanted to pin up to this subject. I am interested in the same subject as @TomR_au was in 2018.

Does anyone know how to change the way how AS names the plates so it would use instead of the minimum describing rectangle rule as @Sebastian_Eiche wrote, the rule that I want, so say preferably the UCS of the object that I could settle?

Maybe as @Sebastian_Eiche wrote @Emanuel.Nestor or @ETheuring could help?

Thank everybody for help.

Message 15 of 16
tuwim01

Hello,

I wrote in this subject a week ago. I would like to refresh it.

Maybe this little humorous image will provide more interest in the subject 😀

Refresh.jpg

Message 16 of 16
TomR_au
in reply to: tuwim01

Nailed it. 😂

My chair has been thrown across the room a few times since this post 

----
Tom Roberts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report