Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of plane bracing connection macro?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gerrardhickson
243 Views, 5 Replies

Out of plane bracing connection macro?

Hi all,

Lookfing for some guidance on a connection detail (macro?) for out of plane bracing.

In the image below, the left side beam and column are in plane - so is the bracing, so I use the standard bracing macro. But it fails on the right side, where the column is not in the same plane as the beam. I've tried a few different things, but nothing works.

gerrardhickson_1-1721783331747.png

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

UPDATE: I managed to get this far... using 'cut at object', 'plate on flange', and 'bolts on beam'... Any suggestions for the final details?

gerrardhickson_0-1721786132178.png

Message 3 of 6

Hi @gerrardhickson 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   It looks like you are getting close; I would think this will all be a manual effort. Maybe @Rob_Merriman has some magic tricks?

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 4 of 6
AleckGiles
in reply to: gerrardhickson

Hi,

Drawing the angle for the bracing will be done manually. Once that is in the right position the standard Gusset Plate at One Diagonal joint on the General Bracings page of Connection Vault should work fine at either end of the angle.

AleckGiles_0-1724847437889.png

Set "Standard > Gusset Plate > Chamfers" to Two to get the plate shapes in the image above.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 5 of 6

Hi @AleckGiles,

That doesn't work for me. In my first image (original post), the left side bracing is done with the method you proposed. When I try the same method on a out of plane brace, I get an 'Unspecified error'.

I've attached an example file here - please try your method to see if it works.

Message 6 of 6
AleckGiles
in reply to: gerrardhickson

Hi,

The joint works fine for me. It struggles a bit at the bottom end but it works OK. If you put the joint on with the beam as is, the plates go on the web not the flange so they ar oriented wrong. Rotate the beam 90 degrees and you get a decent result.

AleckGiles_0-1724919625307.png

If you want to rotate -90 it goes wrong at the bottom but go into the joint properties and change the plate side and it comes good again.

Or at least close. As I say, the bottom end is struggling a bit with the compound angles.

Angle sections still have a web and flange and you can only apply this joint to the web of the secondary beam. Therefore you might need to redraw your angle with the web the right way round.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report