Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC scribing problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1043 Views, 13 Replies

NC scribing problem

We have noticed an issue with the scribing feature in the advance steel NC output.

If we have an item that is not a main part and this item has something welded to it then this item gets scribe marks on it.

This is not an issue, until you have more than one of these items with the same part number….

Let’s say you have 3x angles welded to a column that are all the same length, size etc then these 3x angles get the same part number. In this case 1000.

On one of those angles you weld on several plates, one another angle you weld on one plate and the last angle you have no plates at all.

When you create the NC file of the angle it seems to pick one of them at random and puts the scribes on for whatever is attached to it and will process 3x of these – all with the same scribes – making 2x of these processed angles incorrect.

Is there a way to get the numbering to recognise the different scribes so they get different part numbers?

Cheers.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ChristianBlei
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

AS has no option to take scribing for single parts into account for numbering. Only for main parts.

There is already a request to add this by AdvanceSteel in the idea station.

Vote for it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/scribing-on-attached-parts/idi-p/65466

For me this is a bug that should be fixed, because it may cause conflicts. Not an enhancement asked for. Although of course it is by design....

br,

Christian Blei

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
youtube.com/channel/UCxjA_NbeScQy9C0Z1xjwXpw
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Coxy108,

I have also just come across this problem. It is the same for plate dxf files. Unfortunately it was pointed out to me by a client who ended up with a lot of plates with incorrect part numbers and incorrect contour lines for mating parts.

I have contacted my Advance Steel support provider who has been told by Autodesk that it is a "limitation of Advance Steel". In my opinion (and in the opinion of my client) this is an embarrassing failure!! 

Another feature of Advance Steel that doesn't work properly! Please stop developing new features and concentrate on fixing the existing ones!!

John Stewart

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Hi John,

Yep - this is a big issue for a lot of our clients who want scribing.

I'm no programmer, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. The software obviously knows where things are attaching to each other. Add an option for numbering to take that into account (just like it does for holes, contours, punch marks etc)

I think if Autodesk want people to keep using this software they need to stop adding and working on things that people use every now and again and FIX the current issues and work on the drawing output. In fact I think the majority of people would be happy if we had a whole new release dedicated solely to the drawing output - it's all good to be able to draw a twisted folded warped conical plate, but if you can't automatically output it onto a 2d drawing in a nice clean clear way - what's the point? (in fact, I'd like to be able to output a simple assembly in a nice clean clear manner without having to spend a week setting up a style).

Message 5 of 14
iwafb

I cannot believe this has not been addressed yet! Obviously, they've never been at the receiving end of an irate fabricator who's just wasted a heap of money because of software shortcomings! Or received back charges as a result...

Please fix this issue and listen to your users productivity requests.

Message 6 of 14
ChristianBlei

Hi,

as I already posted: Their is an IDEA for that function. If you miss it vote for it!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/scribing-on-attached-parts/idi-p/6546661

br,

Christian Blei

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
youtube.com/channel/UCxjA_NbeScQy9C0Z1xjwXpw
Message 7 of 14
iwafb
in reply to: ChristianBlei

HI Christian,

As always, thanks for going the extra mile!

Already voted Smiley Very Happy

Having said that, I still think this is a bug (and a potentially expensive one) and should be fixed regardless of votes or roadmaps. If we are given the option to scribe, and I'm confident a lot of users would be using this as a service/marketing point, then we should be able to rely on the output being correct in all instances.

Just my opinion...

Cheers,

Dart

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: iwafb

Hi,

The reality is that the scribing feature in Advance Steel is completely useless because of this design error. It produces mistakes so therefore can't be used at all. I talked a client into using scribing hoping to get more work from them. I ended up looking foolish because of the mistakes. On top of that, it seems it won't be fixed unless enough users complain or vote for the fix, which will no doubt take months and months. How long before we start looking elsewhere??

John

Message 9 of 14
daniel.tarnowski

While I agree 100% this should be addressed by the software developer, I have found a work around for the issue.

It comes down to the numbering.  The SP in the example provided ignores attached parts, therefore gives it the same SP number.

Go to User Attribute section of the advance properties, then check one of the user attribute box(s) and enter something in the field to the right of it.  (RH, LH, 1 plate attached, 2 plates attached...)  Then due your numbering.  If the box is checked and the value entered in the field is different between otherwise identical items, numbering gives different SP numbers.

Now when you run your DXF or NC output, you should see the appropriate scribing on the individual single parts.

Obviously, this isn't practical with several different iterations, but for a few different ones, it works. 

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 14
Sebastian_Eiche

Hi @daniel.tarnowski ...is this day your "I found old thread's day"?

But nevertheless this issue is important and need to be addressed. I think there's an idea for it in the idea station... please don't forget to vote for it 

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 11 of 14

I did see the age of the post while doing a search on a similar subject.  

I figured if I had a questions about it at some point, perhaps another community member may come across this in a search as well.  I have actually been able to answer a number of questions I have had  in the past just searching and reading through old posts.

All that said, Autodesk, please fix the issue!

And thank you Sebastian, I will find and vote for the idea.

Message 12 of 14
iwafb

This is really annoying. AUTODESK, IT'S BEEN LONG ENOUGH! DON'T LOOK AT THIS AS A FEATURE REQUEST, IT'S A BUG!

Can't believe we've been ignored for 6 years over something that would literally take a few hours to fix...

Message 13 of 14
Julio_Soto

It appears no progress has been made in this. I told our fabrication manager that AS has the ability to scribe lines. He was pretty excited about that. Now I have to back track because it may be completely unreliable. Talk about a half baked idea. Why Would you so this to us Advance Steel! 

Message 14 of 14
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @Julio_Soto ,

AS have a product manager, it's best to contact him directly - @pawelpiechnik 

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report