Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop requirements

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
abdoullah_tomeh
1290 Views, 13 Replies

Laptop requirements

Hello,

I want to buy laptop and I am planning to work with advance steel and revit on it.

I know that I need 16 Gb Ram and SSD from my experience with my desktop.

The problem is I don’t know how to choose Graphic cards and if getting faster Processor will be beneficial.

Autodesk website did not help me.

Please give me your thoughts and ideas

and if there is a preferred brand or specification for this kind of work.

Sincerely,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Here are many thread belonging to system requirements. As you already wrote, SSD+16GB, you need a fast processor and graphic cards could be found on the autodesk site for it: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

but the easiest way is to buy a workstation laptop. Why setting up a system, if there already existing and testet workstations for it. There're different companies which create workstations: Dell, HP, Lenovo...and there many more.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 14

Hi,

It depends on hours per day, work conditions, price etc, but if you plan on using it only when on vacations then HP Z or similar will do the job.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mlp/laptops/workstation-352501--1 

If you plan on using it every day, 8 hours a day, better get a desktop version. 

The latest processors now can run with 5.1-5.2 with turbo.

Samsung Evo Pro SSD is a good choice.

Video card-for modeling in AS video card has never been an issue, so do not spend huge $$$ on an 8GB+ card, 5Gb is enough.

HTH

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 4 of 14

I compare computers to tools. This laptop is designed for this. 

https://www.boxx.com/systems/mobile-workstations/goboxx-mxl 

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 5 of 14

Any laptop capable of running AS is going to be expensive.

A desktop PC would be far more capable for around half the price.

Message 6 of 14

I'm going to need to take pics of my "custom laptop" and show you my solution to mobile modeling. 

Message 7 of 14
markhubrich
in reply to: markhubrich

I keep forgetting to get current pics of this thing in the evening. Its probably a bit more involved than most would care to get into.  Most people don't come home from best buy with a 19" lcd and crack it open and gut it for the parts. lol. I found these from 2012 though. I'm sure you can see where this is going. Currently in the bottom half is liquid cooled workstation guts. Of course it's overclocked to 5GHz and has 32gb DDR4 RAM. I set a reminder to get pics tonight. I have plans to add a projector to it too so you can just set it down, plug it in, turn it on and aim it at the wall.

The Lid behind 19" LCD.The Lid behind 19" LCD.Side of case.Side of case.

Message 8 of 14
acbsdesign

@markhubrich 

Lol, ...you made my day.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 9 of 14

Not true but I guess it depends what you regard as expensive

Message 10 of 14

Depending on your budget I would say

1. CPU speed. (Amount of cores not really relevant for AS)

2. I would recommend 32gb instead of 16.

3. Nvme drive or SSD

4. Graphics card need to be good but not necessarily great.

This is just my opinion from much research.

Message 11 of 14

Yes it would be nice for Advance Steel to take advantage of Nvidia CUDA tech. I think Google Chrome uses more GPU than AS. 

Here's another pic of my "laptop". It's been a while since I had this thing out and forgot that the internals are in my current home workstation. I have bigger plans for this though and now seems like a good time to get back to it. I have another identical case so I'm going to thicken it so I can add GPU card and cover the components with Arduino prototyping platform. 

FrankenstationFrankenstation

Message 12 of 14
Adrian.Mangan

That is correct as far as I know Google Chrome does use GPU more than AS

Message 13 of 14

Any heat issues in there or do you open when in use, I was going to build a wooden one with holes all over and aluminum plate to mount the motherboard.

Message 14 of 14

Oh yes I cannot close it while it's on. That is one of the reasons I obtained an additional case to combine with. Like this but less features. I need more space between lid and power supply. I thought about liquid cooling for the power supply but that seems like it would be more work than it's worth. I will add 2 case fans also. I will have to do this before I stuff a projector in there too.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report