Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import IFC from Tekla

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
FORBESWILSON6174
6941 Views, 21 Replies

Import IFC from Tekla

I have read the posts on importing IFC models from Tekla, but did not find a clear answer.

We are about to start a big project where the detailing will be done in Tekla, and my client is deciding which software to buy for the project. 

They already use AutoCAD and Inventor, so AS is the preferred choice, however we need to be clear on what can be done with regard to importing Tekla models into ours for interface checking and final GA's.

Ideally, we would like to model Structural (members only), Mechanical and Civils in AS and Inventor, and import the equipment from step files or similar. That would give us a model with everything in it.

We would then give the model of the structures to the designer who would design and have the structures detailed.

We would get the Tekla model back and import it into our model do final check and GA's. If there is a better way of doing it I am open to suggestions.

We have imported an AS IFC model into Tekla with no problem, and the model can be used as a normal Tekla model, however when we tried to import a Tekla IFC model into AS, there was a problem with AS recognising the section sizes. I know this was posted earlier, but I couldn't find an answer as to if this is still a problem, or if it has been resolved, or if it can be done successfully.

If there are other methods of importing Tekla modes into AS so they can be used, I would appreciate the help.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: FORBESWILSON6174
Message 3 of 22

The IFC import from Tekla is sometimes not working in AS and I don't know if this is a problem of tekla or AS. But in some cases I remember it was only a little line which had to be corrected in the IFC file.

The other way is, to use the CIS/2 Files for import from tekla and to export you can use the 'special cis/2' Export which was made for tekla. You could also use a combination for example to export IFC from AS but import CIS/2.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 4 of 22

Forbes,

If I'm understanding your plans correctly, your "Main Operating" model will be in DWG format as that would be the easiest medium for AS (with imports) & Inventor to operate in, and the only reason Tekla is involved is for the Detailer to create fabrication files. If your reason for importing a final Detailer's model into your Main Operating model is for coordination then you might consider asking for a 3D DWG export from Tekla. You won't get any data, but do you really need it? You'll be able to see the physical objects and find movements & clashes, and by XREFfing it in you can incorporate it into your GAs. Ask your Tekla modelers to export it intelligently with objects on understandable layers so you can control them and it shouldn't be too painful.

Cheers,

Gary

Message 5 of 22

Hi Sebastian, thank you for your reply, we will try it and see what happens.

Message 6 of 22

Hi Masibanda thanks for your response.

Your understanding is generally correct, however the models that we give to the designers will only have members where we want them and will not necessarily be the correct size, that will only come out in the design. There will also not be any connections shown, and our GA drawings will not look great, so the reason for importing the files is threefold, it gives us an interface check, it provides us with a completed model which will improve the quality of our GA's, and gives us a working model for future use.

Admittedly, if the worst comes to the worst a .dwg export from Tekla may be the only option we have but I would like to explore all the options before we decide.

Message 7 of 22

I have to correct my post, the special CIs/2 was to import,  the export to Tekla, just work the normal CIS/2 export.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 8 of 22

Having just spent three months in the USA, and understanding a bit more about AS, the method of operating has not changed, we did experience problems importing an IFC file from Tekla into AS, there was generally a problem with the member conversion file.

The statement below is part of a a response from 'Graitec' to a post 9 years ago. 

some sections are not recognized automatically - when you import the 3D model in Advance Steel => just select the corresponding Advance Steel section in the "Section conversion" dialog (it will be saved in a database for later import)

This still happens, however if it is possible to open the data base file and edit and save it outside of the software it could save a lot of time.

One of my clients indicated the a SDNF file export from Tekla was the most trusted link. So far we have found that the bolts did not import.

Can anyone advise on the best method, as it seems to be an ongoing problem.

Regards,

Message 9 of 22
sdetail
in reply to: FORBESWILSON6174

Why not get the job detailed in AS???

cheers

Message 10 of 22

If you export sdnf you could change between sdnf 2.0 and sdnf 3.0

The version 3.0 should include bolts and anchors

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 11 of 22
FORBESWILSON6174
in reply to: sdetail

The client had already appointed a company to do the Structural Design and detailing, and they use Tekla.

Message 12 of 22

Thanks for the response, we will try it and I will post feedback.

Message 13 of 22

Hi,

You should only be asked once for each new size of beam. If you give it a correct mapping it will write this into the database and not ask again. (If you ignore it will keep asking each time it finds the part).  So the first time the import will take ages answering all the questions but the next time should be much quicker unless every beam is new.

The database in question is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Advance Steel 2020\GBR\Steel\Data\GTCMapping.mdf (replace GBR with your build code). If you look in there carefully you will find the mapping entries. spending a long time creating a list of hundreds of section sizes you don't need may ultimately take longer than the above. As always take a back up of the database before starting to edit it and don't blame me if it all goes wrong 🙂.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 14 of 22

A bit of water has passed under the bridge since this last reply, but the Tekla export / AS Import exercise continues.

From what we have tried so far, it appears that the sdnf export / import is the best option, however there are still three problems.

As AleckGiles has pointed out, you are asked once for each member size not found if you direct it to the AS equivalent, but the problems we have encountered are:-

1. When the process finds a plate. the following message appears 'The following section could not be converted'

PL12,7*158.699; and in the 'Define conversion name: Section', you don't have the option of selection a Plate, only members from what I can see.

2. The same applies to Grating, 'The following section could not be converted' GRTG909.637*31,75

3. Bolts are left off completely.

I have looked at the Tekla export files, and they give a list of all the section sizes, but the list does not include plate thicknesses, however AS still recognises the section as a plate.

I realise that these problems may just be settings, but whatever they are, I am hoping someone can help me to resolve the issues.

Regards,

Message 15 of 22

Sdnf have two version 2.0 and 3.0. the version 3.0 should include bolts and anchors

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 16 of 22

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply, I will ask them to do a version 3.0 and see what happens.

Regards,

Message 17 of 22

I taught Advanced Steel had the best Detailer in the biz.
Message 18 of 22

Hi, Any updates to this thread, as its a pain to import from Tekla.

Message 19 of 22
Masibanda-CE
in reply to: AKL-STEEL

Have you tried importing from any other application? I believe you’ll find the problem does not lie with the authoring application; it is a symptom of AS’s importation strategy. AS is programmed to read the “name” of an object and then try to match it to th “name” of a profile in its database. If AS can’t find a match it asks you to map it and saves that correlation (sometimes) in a mapping table. This is a problem because that “name” can be anything depending on the authoring application and/or the operator. Serious BIM applications read the properties of an imported profile regardless of its name. That’s why Tekla, SDS/2, Bricscad, Bocad, etc. can import IFC seamlessly and AS struggles. 

Message 20 of 22
AKL-STEEL
in reply to: Masibanda-CE

I have not tried to import the files from any other aplication as i recive them from my detailers that work with Tekla. Can it be a work around creating a dwg out of a .stp or .lis using Fusion 360. 

What other aplication would you have use to get the names corrected so that i dont have to do this manualy.

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report