Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer model created in Advanced Steel to Revit?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
7532 Views, 17 Replies

How to transfer model created in Advanced Steel to Revit?

Hello,

I made a simple steel structure in Advanced Steel to test if I can export it to Revit for structural analysis. But couldn't import it into Revit. I opened a new Project in Revit, then I tried importing it using formats like CIS/2, SDNF. In both cases, it shows

Capture.PNGThen I tried Advanced Import .smlx format, it showsCapture 1.PNG

I press ok, but nothing loads. I have attached all different format files, I will be grateful for your help.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

When you import the smlx file as shown in your second screen shot. You have to load the steel families and map them using the button on the lower left corner of that pop up. Once you have mapped the beam & column sizes, they should load in.

Message 3 of 18
stephan.gumpert

Is the model numbered?  In my experience the SMLX from AS to Revit requires the model to be numbered and saved before exporting.

Message 4 of 18
johnjmbennett

You can transfer without numbering, just change the setting in the management tool default, use the filter type GTCX, google the setting from current setting.

I mention this in a class I presented recently ,

http://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/entry/how-to-move-a-revit-model-to-advance-steel-via-smlx

Hope that helps

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: stephan.gumpert

Thank You.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

Thank you very much. 

Message 7 of 18

this solution has not been solved completely. is imposible to transfer railings, stairs, an some section shapes that AS has in its lybrary. nowaday we have decided to work all the concrete structural in Revit and separate the Steel structures and developed in AS. both softwares are still uncompatibile (from my point of view)

Message 8 of 18

The Steel objects that are supported in the transfer in the 2019 versions can be read here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/EN...

Concrete objects do transfer between the 2 packages too.  Also described in the link above.

Message 9 of 18

why is the software uncomplete? I think the transfer is uncomplete, but the software itself?

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 10 of 18

i didn't say that both softwwres are incomplete, I don't think at all, I just only said that th transfer is uncompatible. both softwares are great, that's why I decide to adopt in my own company but the lack of compatibility made us to decide to work separate.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: andres_urrutia

Totally agree except for the both software are great. Lool they are far far away to be great. In fact they are making fonction to exchange model between revit and Advance steel but it's not working correctly.

Message 12 of 18
johnjmbennett

With reference to my previous post over the 2019 method of transfer , it would appear the 2020 version is again updated,link below 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/EN...

Yet yet to test this myself, but from reading this I think it will provide a more stable method, with only 1 to 1 mappings relative to the AS version and country , also the formulae and use of tokens for mappings will also provide an easier route.

the revit family and dynamic appear to have been remove.

cheers

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 18

I am having problems with Advance Steel extension to sync projects. Stairs, Railings and some connections do not export corretly from Revit to ADVS and some profiles appears mirrored. Also Stairs, railings and some connections created in Advance Steel do not are correctly synchronized with Revit and vice versa. Is there a software limitation?

Message 14 of 18

don' try that. both softwares are not really compatibles. We have decided to work with both softwares separately because there are many problems between them.

Message 15 of 18
grimmbri
in reply to: rbarbosa8DQGJ

@rbarbosa8DQGJ  when it comes to exporting steel structures from Revit as .sxml files for Advance Steel, try installing the Microsoft Access database engine 2010. This article, "Revit crashes when using the Advance Steel Extension," includes the link for the install.

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png” >

Brianna Grimm

Global BIM Coordinator
Message 16 of 18

I could not agree with you more on this topic. It is a nightmare to deal with this. We are in the middle of a large project and have spent countless hours trying to get AS models dumped in.

Message 17 of 18
rbarbosa8DQGJ
in reply to: grimmbri

Hi. The extensions is crashing again... Your suggestion worked for sometime... Any updates?

Message 18 of 18
grimmbri
in reply to: rbarbosa8DQGJ

@rbarbosa8DQGJ try these steps as well (adjust the version accordingly):

1. Close Revit 2020
  2. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit Steel Connections 2020\en-US\
  3. Create an Archive folder
  4. Move all files except the following two files to the Archive folder (from Step 3)
    • SteelConnectionData.xml file
    • SteelConnections_en-US.zip file
  5. Extract the SteelConnections_en-US.zip file into the same en-US folder (from Step 2)
  6. Delete the "Astorbase.mdf" file from within the extracted dataset
  7. Start a new session of Revit 2020
“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png” >

Brianna Grimm

Global BIM Coordinator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report