Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dimension to just back of angles and channels?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
t.coble
369 Views, 2 Replies

How to dimension to just back of angles and channels?

Does anyone know which point type will dimension to just the back of angle rather than both sides. Same thing with back of channels. When we produce our assembly drawings of handrails we have a lot of clean-up to do because we have to go back and move all the dim points to the back of the angle. Right now i have it setup to center of the objects  to minimize as much as i can,but does anyone know of a good way to achieve this?

back of angle.PNG

backofangle1.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnjmbennett
in reply to: t.coble

Firstly this will depend upon which style is being used to create the drawing from also the dimension rules in that drawing and which points are assigned to the rule.

for uk there are styles for elements called frame as a model role, there are two types of styles, one to edges one to system line.

in this case we would point the user to system line, as it has one point that can be tracked.

to aide this in the model we would advise the user to place the system line on the heel of the angle section, so that the system line in the drawing get placed on one edge that can be used dimension too.  Also the preferred for manual dimension snap will track the end of the system line, if you add manual dimensions.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
t.coble
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Thanks i did end up turning on the system lines in the dsm and setting the points to dimension to these and i can just double click on the system lines in the details and turn them back off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report