Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating stairs

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1357 Views, 17 Replies

creating stairs

ok so I want to create stairs that are 15' high and 15' in length. this is what it gave me. why?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

and this at the bottom. both top and bottom go to far

Message 3 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Not entirely sure what your asking, but I'm assuming it's the offsets. Play with these values & see if they fix what it is your looking for.

Stringer offset.pngLanding Offsets.png

Message 4 of 18
muleman1

watch @Kirk_bailey screencast on this post to see if it helps...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-forum/another-stair-question/m-p/6043425#M5093

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Kirk_bailey

not quite sure how to explain it, but the landing is fine. see snip attached. now the white line represents ground level and you can see when I generated my stairs it made them lower than ground level. as for the top of my stairs the landing  is in a good spot, but my stairs just over shoot the height I want them to exceed. so if I want my stairs to be 15' high and a 15' run to I make my values smaller to accommodate for the landings? 

Message 6 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Ahh, Word. Check out my screencast @muleman1 posted. Essentially, if your stair is 15' run & 15' Rise and you want your first step to be the ground, make your stair 1' longer in the run. So, 16' run 15' rise.

Basically, always add a tread when creating stairs in Advance.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

in the picture I attached below how do I get the stringer to be removed? I watched your video and cant get mine to do so.

Message 8 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Run a model check and clean up the errors. It appears that Advance Steel overlapped your stair with another stair. It's been doing that since I upgraded to windows 8.1 & windows 10.

What I do when this happens is either turn off the stair layer or highlight attached objects and turn them off. This way you can delete the unnecessary objects without deleting the wrong thing.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

sorry about all the questions, but what would one do here to make my top tread not pass through the beam?

Message 10 of 18
Kirk_bailey

That's looking like more of an RFI to the engineer/architect than sImething i cannot answer. Sorry, I just don't wanna take liberties with your current job

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

well I am a new employee where I work and I am teaching myself how to use this software, and creating stairs is something I am trying to wrap my head around.

Message 12 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Understandable, we're here to help! 

Here's a link to a youtube playlist that has a bunch of videos I've made & others have made. It'll get you up and running comfortable real quick!

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

ill check out that link to youtube, but do you know why when I made my connection at the top of my stairs my top tread and connector went through my beam?

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

also how do you feel about advance steel vs say inventor, solidworks or solid edge?

Message 15 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Top stair stringer connection.pngIt's because there isn't enough room between the stringer & connected landing. I use something like this. 

Notice how I stand off the upper landing?

Message 16 of 18
Kirk_bailey

Well, solid works and inventor are cad programs specifically for product developers. 

Though, I use Autodesk Fusion 360 & Autocad for all my needs. Plus, it's free & is just as good as Inventor.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

ok I have almost successfully created the stair anchor connection. only problem is that it did not create the hole in the concrete floor, is that something I have to do as a separate command?

Message 18 of 18
Kirk_bailey

That's a separate command. It's not necessary for the stair to create it, nor is it truly necessary to show because drawings won't show it well. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report