Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy, polar array bug, or operator's error?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
e.kajackas
626 Views, 5 Replies

Copy, polar array bug, or operator's error?

Copy, polar array pattern not working correctly when selecting a reference line to define an angle between items (it does work however if angle input is manual). 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnjmbennett
in reply to: e.kajackas

Hi,

i think this is to do with the original of the X or Y axis of the UCS,   if you align the X axis through the center/mid point of the object you are polar array copying around.  Then use the Reference point that you previously had selected,  it should then rotate correctly around the original point and the UCS set up.

I used the UCS 3 point command,  then once set,  then use the polar copy command to array from the origin axis.

Screencast :  https://autode.sk/3jDl9On

hope that helps out

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
e.kajackas
in reply to: johnjmbennett

hi John,

Thank you for your comment, however, that is exactly how I'm doing - nether advance copy or polar array works.

Please find the file that I'm working on attached.
note: the task is to copy/array plate at 500 CRS for 11 items.

Regards,

Egis

Annotation 2020-07-24 153922.jpg

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
johnjmbennett

Hi, 

Try this.

take you center line set out line on the left side,  use the 2d mirror command and mirror it about your  Vertical (WCS line).

align these UCS via the 3p option to the cyan line ( was the 2d mirrored line.)

with UCS aligned to the Cyan line, then use the polar array command,  picking the end point of the original line at the intersection of the arc.

Center point is the Arc center,  number 11, angle pick end of line at plate/bolt center,  Z no,  Rotate/copy Yes

johnjmbennett_0-1595596718736.png

file returned

John Bennett
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
e.kajackas
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Hi John,

It worked, many thanks - didn't cross my mind that ref point of rotation should be one distance before the item to be rotated 🙂  

Message 6 of 6
johnjmbennett

👍
I said just the other day “don’t ask me why it’s just the way it works” 🙂

John Bennett

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report