Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bevels in NC files

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Julio_Soto
217 Views, 2 Replies

Bevels in NC files

So we are going to start exporting NC files for our plates and I'm running a few tests.  I created a plate with chamfered corners and beveled edges.  In AS the plates looks correct. Then I export an NC file and open it in an NC viewer (Steel-Projetcs NC viewer) and the bevel does not go all the way through.  Is this normal behavior or am I missing something?

NC Viewer

Julio_Soto_0-1674163953683.png

AS Model

Julio_Soto_1-1674163993821.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AleckGiles
in reply to: Julio_Soto

Hi,

The NC file can only call up a bevel along the edge. It has obviously done that correctly since the bevel is showing in Steel Projects. There is no facility in the DSTV standard that NC files are written to that allows the length or end treatment of the bevel to be defined. Thus it is up to the viewer and machine tool to know what to do.

Steel Project CAD Viewer is unfortunately prone to give errors when reading NC files. Considering it is one of the most popular viewers and the full version is used by many manufacturers this is a concern. I have personally seen many cases where the NC file content is fine but Steel Projects doesn't show the part properly. I recommend testing in several different viewers. I like HGG ProCAM Lite. It gives far fewer errors than Steel Projects.

You can also easily google and download a PDF of the DSTV Standard. The files are only text files and are actually easy enough to read and interpret. Sadly though, for some reason, I haven't yet found any software to view the files that doesn't give errors sometimes. Reading the NC file directly against the standard I have never yet found the NC file from AS to be incorrect - always the viewer. There are some options in AS Defaults that can help in some cases.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 3 of 3
Julio_Soto
in reply to: Julio_Soto

I downlaoded ProCAM lite and it shows the plates correctly. There were also some parts that did not show up at all iln Steel Projects but they show up just fine in ProCAM Lite.  I guess it was the viewer. This is encouraging. Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report