Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Trim plate to rolled angle

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
413 Views, 4 Replies

Advance Trim plate to rolled angle

I am trying to trim a gusset plate to rolled angles as shown below.  I have tried advanced trim to even just one angle and I can't get it to work.  I have tried WCS and USC at the plate face.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this.?  I had no problem trimming the angles to the end plates. 

I am using Advance Steel 2019.

test section.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnjmbennett
in reply to: Anonymous

Try some of the opitons on the features palette,

Not sure if you are trying to trim the angle / split either side of what looks like vertical stiffener in the plate.

you may find you have to use a polygon contour, because the angle is curved.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnjmbennett

I want to trim the plate to the angle.  I am thinking of adding a straight angle at the intersection of the plate and curved angle,array it and then using those to make the trim.  Then delete the extra angle pieces.
Message 4 of 5
johnjmbennett
in reply to: Anonymous

So if you have a dummy straight angle, try the plate element contour in the plate features , bottom of the features palette.

Sorry not at pc for image.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU...

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Thanks for your help John.

I got it to work by adding the angle at the first instance and created an array for the remainder.  I then individually trimmed the plate gusset at each angle.  Then once all the trimming was complete I deleted all the angles and the trim  contour remained. I then was able to polar array the remaining gussets all trimmed correctly.  Lesson learned. You cannot trim to a rolled section.

test section2.JPG 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report