Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel Officially in Maintenance Mode

167 REPLIES 167
Message 1 of 168
Julio_Soto
15144 Views, 167 Replies

Advance Steel Officially in Maintenance Mode

https://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2023/03/29/advancing-steel-detailing-and-design-at-autodesk/

So AutoDesk officially put Advance Steel in maintenance mode. There will be no new features added to this software. I assume that the Ideas forum is basically a graveyard now. Thanks for nothing AutoDesk. I gotta say I'm pretty pissed about this. 

Here is a quote from the article

"As we strive to bring these BIM-connected workflows and added value to our customers, we are shifting efforts to advancing and accelerating our steel capabilities in our BIM, data and collaboration platforms.  This means pivoting away from developing new features in Advance Steel and placing it on maintenance mode. "

[ The subject line of this post has been edited due to misinformation by @handjonathan Original: Advance Steel Officially in Maintenance Mode (dead??) ]

167 REPLIES 167
Message 2 of 168
Drawtech
in reply to: Julio_Soto

Wow, what a bullshit article.  Autodesk really haven't got a clue about steel detailing or the vital role steel detailers play have they!

...current BIM project:

Nothing the architect/engineer provide in their models works for the stairs and other secondary steel we are detailing.  Main steel support in unsuitable positions or levels or non existing.  Architects walls not aligning with slab edges when they should be. Insufficient hand rail clearances to walls or other main steel.  ...the list goes on.

We've had to change stair & landing widths and wells to make things fit to regulation.

...so, what happens if no steel detailing involved huh?  Just fabricate a pile of crap from a Revit model that won't work?

...and what about the fabricator's preferences and abilities to reduce costs?

Plate/flat sizes, bolt types/assemblies/lengths, connections easy to fab/erect, proprietary items like hand rail fittings etc.  Again the list goes on.

Engineers or architects can't make suitable fabrication models in Revit or in anything else and they never will.

Detailers can't use Revit as it's not up to the job.

There will ALWAYS be a need for good detailing software. 

By the looks of it, Autodesk just shelved theirs and it's only half done.

So glad I kept my perpetual AS licence and feel gutted for you guys on subscriptions!

Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 3 of 168
acbsdesign

@Julio_Soto 

This all is a non-sense, isn't it?

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 4 of 168
acbsdesign

Relying on other developers one says "we thought we fixed this" or the other tried to make it work in the past and it did not succeed-please-give us a break.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 5 of 168
Julio_Soto
in reply to: Drawtech

I'm currently working on a project where we have Revit model. We are laying things out per the model and the archtect says the model is not accurate. Okay....?  We RFI some dimensions. When we finally get it, the walls need to move like 6+ inches.  AutoDesk wants me to work in that environment? My industry has tolerances 1/16" while architects are content to be within a few inches. Revit is just not that accurate of a piece of software. 

Message 6 of 168
s_hannemann

Hi,

"

Safe Harbor Statement:

We may make statements regarding planned or future development efforts for our existing or new products and services. These statements are not intended to be a promise or guarantee of future delivery of products, services or features but merely reflect our current plans, which may change. Purchasing decisions should not be made based upon reliance on these statements. Autodesk assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist or change after the date on which they were made."

I have never read a statement that is so stupid.

Okay english is not my native language but if u call statements statements and say these statements are useless why do u call them statements. Why are u even talking?

At the moment i hope they dont ruin AS any further. Will see 🙂

Message 7 of 168
Julio_Soto

AutoDesk when they change their minds

Julio_Soto_0-1680191245281.png

Message 8 of 168
acbsdesign

An older generation salesperson said recently, "Some will go with the change, some will not" or something similar.

The problem is not if we want to go with the "change", but if is it reasonable for us to go with Revit. 

The approach is totally wrong, there is nothing innovative. 

Nothing to be admired.

Regards,

Message 9 of 168
sdonohoedesign

Revit will never be able to detail steelwork to a reasonable standard.  ADSK do not have the ability to build it, they don't understand what detailers need and they don't have the inclination to learn either.

It will only be a matter of time before AS is retired and subscribers will have to learn another new programme. 

Perpetual licences will be producing work for many years to come though.....  

Taken from the corporate jargon, this made me chuckle.  I think 'automatic' is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.........

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 168
george1985

@Drawtech wrote:

So glad I kept my perpetual AS licence and feel gutted for you guys on subscriptions!

Hi @Drawtech . Which was the last Advance Steel version with perpetual license?

Message 11 of 168
Drawtech
in reply to: george1985

I’m on AS 2022 – forever (well until I retire)!
…with zero fees! 😊
Not sure if AS 2023 may have slipped in for some depending on renewal dates.
Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 12 of 168
Flies-Eyes

AdS can build information for project delivery better than RVT, yet autodesk don't consider AdS to be a BIM process.  My guess is the article was written by Chat gtp....

Message 13 of 168
acbsdesign
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

AI would create better article.

@acbsdesign post moderated according to ground rules. Please stick to the ground rules or further moderation actions will follow. Thanks! 

Regards,

Message 14 of 168
andrewWCZBN
in reply to: acbsdesign

Whilst I'm not sure i believe it myself, is it possible Autodesk may do something positive with this? 

Advance steel has some issues, which may be so integral that they cannot be rectified with the current setup, (the document manager springs to mind!). 

If they can bring advance steel functionality and accuracy to Revit in some way it could be an improvement? 

Maybe I'm being a little optimistic but I'm just tying to work out how i can avoid switching to Tekla 😂

Message 15 of 168
george1985

@Drawtech wrote:
I’m on AS 2022 – forever (well until I retire)!
…with zero fees! 😊
Not sure if AS 2023 may have slipped in for some depending on renewal dates.

Wow, I didn't know AS perpetual license was available up until 2022! Good for you!

Message 16 of 168
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: andrewWCZBN

I would suggest enough detailers have beta tested that enough to put that theory to bed. Revit has fundamental issues just as AdS has its fundamental flaws.
Message 17 of 168
sdonohoedesign
in reply to: george1985

Only issue with AS2022 is that you need to sign in and activate the programme online to be able to work.

You can guarantee that Autodesk will look to 'retire' this access in future. 

Message 18 of 168
Totec_MW

Well that's rather disappointing. Not exactly surprising though, given that many users have been questioning Autodesk's commitment to AS for some time. I really don't want to have to transition to Revit. Past attempts have shown that it really isn't a good fit for our company and the type of work we do.

Message 19 of 168
george1985
in reply to: sdonohoedesign

@sdonohoedesign wrote:

Only issue with AS2022 is that you need to sign in and activate the programme online to be able to work.

You can guarantee that Autodesk will look to 'retire' this access in future. 

Hi @sdonohoedesign . Thank you for this information. Was AS2021 without this online login? Which version of AS was the latest one, without online login?

Message 20 of 168

I got 2018 but the latest versions are more stable. i hate it to go back. and i paid this month a 3year subscription...
I also have a Tekla licence so i got 3 y to go to the other side

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report