Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel Extremely Slow

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
markhubrich
4558 Views, 24 Replies

Advance Steel Extremely Slow

Is there a max capacity for Advance as far as parts count? I can't even update a list in less than 10 minutes any more in my stair model. I know for a fact it isn't my hardware...

NOTRESPOND1.JPGNOTRESPOND2.JPGNOTRESPOND3.JPG

updatelist.JPG

It doesn't seem like too much work for 1 levels worth of stairs. My machine is running at 5ghz with 32gb of RAM for crying out loud. I've been looking at that last image generating assembly list for 15 minutes now. 

I know the obvious... Just freshly rebooted the computer. I shut down all other running garbage. I open the model file and run Audit. I audit all the time. Model is on local RAID SSD. Seriously, I bought the fastest workstation available.  

Update...Finally finished updating list and it removed it from the drawing. I don't have these issues on smaller models. I have too many repetitive assemblies to start splitting this model into multiple files.

Any performance tips for the guy with the fastest workstation in town? It's about 10 minutes as of now per camera to generate a view.

...and fix the kiss export issues.
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: markhubrich

Hi,

Try to close the 3D model before update GA. Seems to help...

Regards

Message 3 of 25
CHRIS_ASDL
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't think it was possible to close a model whilst the Document Manager is open! How is this possible?

Kind Regards

Chris
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: CHRIS_ASDL

While doc manager is open it's not possible, but when your GA is opened, you can close 3D model, and update GA's list with

Capture.JPG

Regard's

Message 5 of 25
markhubrich
in reply to: CHRIS_ASDL

I think it is possible because when a drawing is opened from the drawing manager, the dwg manager closes. However this is just as annoying as waiting.

Here's the list that finally produced..

assy.list.JPG 

I created that sheet from "selected objects". The list shows way more than what is shown in the detail.

Message 6 of 25
markhubrich

Here's another with model closed. It was faster but I still have way more than what is on this sheet. 

list2.JPG

The list is ...

list3.JPG

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

tried "_Audit" command on the model ?

Message 8 of 25
markhubrich

Thanks, yes. I audit quite often.

audit.JPG

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

Quantity is set to "1" in properties ?

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 25
markhubrich

Yes.

qty.JPG

Message 11 of 25
markhubrich

What does this mean when there is 3 sheet numbers as opposed to 1 sheet number?

sheetnum.JPG

Message 12 of 25
markhubrich

I inserted a bolt list and update list. As a timer I recorded screencast. I did not let it finish.

cast.JPG

Message 13 of 25
markhubrich

It finally finished and shows 72 bolts?

72bolts.JPG

Message 14 of 25
markhubrich

So I edited the Prototype and removed the bolt list. Generating the view from a camera is a million times faster without that list in the prototype.

Message 15 of 25

Hi markhubrich

Thank you for posting the results on your side.

I would start with a remark: indeed, the BOM on overview drawing (create / update) is much slower than the same BOM in an assembly drawing.

At least partially, this is a known behavior and the development team is aware of it.

Further, I would like to take a look on your project, only to see if there is something additional that might affect the performance.

If it is OK with you, please send me an archive with the 3D model, 1-2 overview drawings (with the list), the prototype and the BOM template you have used.

Thank you very much

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 16 of 25

Thank you Emy. I am happy to provide. 

Message 17 of 25

Hi markhubrich,

Thank you for sending the data.

First of all, the model seems to be OK, no special problems in it.

The PURGE command was good to remove some unused blocks, but without much impact on outcome.

Indeed, the BOM list update takes quite some time.
As you might already noticed, the BOM is a "Structured list" containing ALL the assemblies from the model.
(and it is not a small list).

At this moment I could only escalate the project to the development team, to investigate if there is a something that could be done in such situations.
I wish I could help you more on this.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 18 of 25

Thanks Emy. I appreciate your help. I was under the assumption that the list would only show what assemblies appear on the sheet where the list is placed. I was expecting the same results as how assembly drawing acts with lists.

I had experienced the same issues with bolt list on the general arrangement drawings where the count for the site bolts was not accurate to what was shown on that sheet. The count also did not show all the bolts from the whole model. I don't know how it got the qty. value. It took a very long time to create a view from a camera using a prototype that contained a bolt list. I ended up removing the list from the prototype. 

At this point I'm about 25 field drawings away from wrapping this one up. What do I need to do to get an assembly list on a general arrangement drawing that shows only what is on that sheet?

Thanks!!

Mark

Message 19 of 25

Hi Mark,

The behavior of BOM on overview drawings is a bit special.

In short, the result depends on the Drawing Style setting for "Model object selection":

• If the overview detail is based on a selection type Complete model (with or without XRef), than all the elements from the 3D model are included in the initial pool of elements
  • If the overview detail is based on a selection type Detail box (with or without XRef), only the elements from inside the detail view box are included in the pool

Please see this article too:

Further, this pool of elements is filtered based on the BOM template filter settings.

Please see this article too:

So the BOM on overview drawing is not really based on the elements shown in the detail. It is based on the elements included in the view model box and then filtered.

The case based on the option "Selection set" for the Drawing Style setting for "Model object selection" is not covered at this moment. You do get some results, but as you can see they are not consistent. I would recommend you to not use the BOM on overview details based on "selection set".

For your specific case: I think the easiest way would be to create the BOM lists from the 3D model - as external lists.
You could create Queries for each stair tower section (using, for example, the "User attribute 10" to distinguish between tower sections).
Then you can create the BOM lists based on these Queries.
If you need to insert them in the overview drawing - you could export them to Excel and insert the Excel table in the drawing.

I hope this will help you. I wish I could find an easier solution.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 20 of 25
wslomiany

Your best bet would be to have the BOM lists you need (you can have multiple ones and delete ones you do not need even) pre-installed into your prototype. I have about 5 prototypes that I use for different camera processes that contain different BOM lists.

Drawing creation is fast, but if you have to update the list it is painfully slow in the G/A drawing.

Updating the drawing in Document manager is very quick however.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report