Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel 2019 Update

68 REPLIES 68
Message 1 of 69
acbsdesign
3884 Views, 68 Replies

Advance Steel 2019 Update

Hello,
There are many new releases / updated / fixes for Autodesk products released today-are we getting an update for Advance Steel 2019?

Thank you,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

68 REPLIES 68
Message 21 of 69
vuk.vukanic
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a story, can't remember the origin, but here's the point:

As long as the pople are obviusly discontend and vocal about the problems, no action is needed form the one in charge, and conditions can deterorate further.

Once the crowd becomes silent is the time to worry, last chance to take action if disaster is to be avoided.

Looks like there is only a handfull of people still making noise...

Easy things are not worth the effort
http://www.teamcad.rs
Message 22 of 69
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

The program is amazing and a must use for anyone who designs/details steel. Once you learn it, you will be impressed and im sure you will keep using it. This is what management knows, once the user learns the software, there is now time and money that these people have put into learning the software. They know the chances of you turning to teckla is extremely low,  so they can get away with not addressing the users concerns. The idea station is a complete joke on this forum and the lack of transparency on managements part will soon bite them in the but. I can tell you this, learn the software and be loud about a product that you aren't satisfied with that costs you 3500 a year. 

I think 2020 will be a big turning point for a few of us vocal people, myself, i'm not renewing if i don't see major fixes. I'd rather stick with the devil i know then learn a new one. It just seems like they keep adding bugs if anything. 

Message 23 of 69
acbsdesign

@Anonymous

I believe Advance Steel has a potential greater than Tekla and SDS/2 and Bocad.

I also do not believe Revit will be the only software that will remain.

It does not make any sense. 

Yes-invest in it, it will return the investment.

The new driver is hiding in the Riverside Forest, but won't be for a long.

I actually like now the Ex better.

At least he had the guts to step up and make some kind of discussion.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 24 of 69
ZHUKOV_ING

AdvanceSteel is great software... furstrations comes with lack of new features and slow development... Dont't cancel your traing and go for it.. 

Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
in reply to: acbsdesign

I bet you that if you didn't start this post, they wouldn't have posted on the forums about the new hotfix. Specifically saying this isn't an update, that's one that we both can agree on. 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 26 of 69
acbsdesign

To be fair-I did not realize it is that bad.

We have to step up and say what is right.

New bride is terrible-Autodesk-get rid of this.

Do us a favor-hire a professional.

Listen what the users say, and do what is best for them.

Because they vote, and when they don't-you will get down.

Pathetic, sickening, arrogant, ignorant, disrespectful. 

Regards,

Message 27 of 69
acbsdesign

@ The Product manager for Advance Steel and for Revit:

2020 will be a good year for some and may be a bad year for others.

2020 is when many of us will be renewing subscription and or making decision to stay or to leave.

A few have already left, frustrated with the Autodesk's management.

I hope most of us will stay with Advance.  

You have the budget, and the personnel to make this happen.

This is a list that I came up with, summarized and cleaned as much as I could:

1. Destination (new) dwg for section views or model views. When created from model, details numbering to be done automatically in the new drawing.
  2. POWER DIMENSIONS-Intelligent bolt pattern dimensioning, by clicking on the first hole rest to be dimensioned
  3. System line for beams to be an autocad object with possibility to move ends from Autocad properties
  4. Do not regenerate and move cut views during detail update.
  5. Still present- dimensions being messed up when detail is updated even with no changes being made in the model.
  6. Grid lines-visible on all erection plans
  7. Connection side on erection dwgs-Shear plate to be shown schematically as a short line, or if we have angle connection-clips to be shown schematically
  8. Coordinates in Advance Properties-option to manipulate end points coordinates from the properties
  9. Field Bolts Tokens or Lists in Main Parts Drawings-these are necessary when we have many beams on one drawing-a small table to show field bolts for each beam
  10. Round cuts dimensions to be improved
  11. Anchor bolts macro-PARTIALLY DONE IN 2019 VERSION-still cannot be used, please see referenced thread in the forum (not the idea station)
  12. Base pate macro improvements-default holes to be as follows:

1/2" Anchor Bolts: 9/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 1 1/16" hole in base plate (9/16" default tolerance)

5/8" Anchor Bolts: 11/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 1 3/16" hole in base plate (9/16" default tolerance)

3/4" Anchor Bolts: 13/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 1 5/16" hole in base plate (9/16" default tolerance)

7/8" Anchor Bolts: 15/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 1 9/16" hole in base plate (11/16" default tolerance)

1" Anchor Bolts: 1 1/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 1 13/16" hole in base plate (13/16" default tolerance)

1 1/4" Anchor Bolts: 1 5/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 2 1/16" hole in base plate (13/16" default tolerance)

1 1/2" Anchor Bolts: 1 9/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 2 5/16" hole in base plate (13/16" default tolerance)

1 3/4" Anchor Bolts: 1 13/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, 2 3/4" hole in base plate (1" default tolerance)

2" and above Anchor Bolts: d+1/16" holes in leveling plate and plate washer, d+1 1/4" hole in base plate (1 1/4" default tolerance)

1. Command 'Hide detailed parts', New Category in Advance Toolpalette-"Detailing"-hide detailed SP, MP
  2. Update and Batch plot selected external lists from document manager
  3. Railing Macro Improvements - Added items and Summarized-please see the idea station
  4. Automatic Section views to start from left end of beam
  5. Preliminary numbering order per shape, size and thickness-this is critical for infrastructure projects
  6. Anchor Points for Detail Views-since default views are moving during update-it will be helpful if we can constrain them in the drawing
  7. Prevent Detail Views to appear during update once deleted
  8. Allow manual depth manipulation for automatic cut views
  9. Weld to be a solid, edges to be beveled (cut) by these solids
  10. Choose Destination folder during batch plot of drawings from DM
  11. UCS placed at object to be ALWAYS with Y-axis up.
  12. Gusset plates – corner clips not to be combined with a contour dimension
  13. Running dimension symbol to appear only if there is a running dimension.
  14. Workable gauge included in beam detail title as a token
  15. Tube bracing dwg style to be improved-I can send the standard dimensions required
  16. Column sections to be placed on dwg in order
  17. Angle seat to be dimensioned to top of angle (column DWG STYLE), not to bottom edge
  18. Weld symbols to be per AWS / DOT’s -tried to be done in 2018-still not per AISC
  19. Delete revision clouds with revving down dwgs, rev down and edit revision for multiple sheets at once. If we need to rev. down all dwgs, we end up deleting revisions for 300-500 dwgs individually.
  20. Double clip connection-one clip shop bolted to main, bolts having different b/n/w combinations and web doubler on one side only.
  21. Breaks in extension lines in dimensions
  22. Gusset plate to columns and beam (base plate) macro-add shear plate between gusset and column (beam) option, currently plate is oriented at 90degrees to the gusset plate-THIS IS AN EVERYDAY CONNECTION, it is not done in Advance
  23. Horizontal Through Plates-Moment Plates to HSS column-these are an everyday moment connections-please see the idea station, I will forward details upon request
  24. Shear Plate to be detailed with punch mark (connection side) Near Side, currently it requires use of SP Plate UCS in order to make sure it is detailed correctly, for 50-60 different shear plates it takes time
  25. Finish of bolts to be included in connections macro
  26. Prevent moving of labels for holes during update (the leader snaps to weird intersection between contour of the hole and the symbol)
  27. Option for Manual labels for slotted holes-these have to be entered as diameter +length+frame
  28. Beam dwg style-cope depth dim closer to beam than the holes’ dim chain

1. Project Folder Palette-working on 17-20 projects simultaneously, and having multiple windows open-this will save time
  2. Bolts-N or X to be taken automatically based on bolts orientation and plies connected
  3. Moment Connection Macro-Different values for cuts at top and bottom flanges
  4. Grid and Elevation List on MP drawings
  5. Select Multiple Labels for Identical Parts-select one, and select rest that are identical
  6. For composite beams-Shear studs quantities to be entered in beam's properties
  7. Weld symbols-need further improvement-(misaligned top and bottom text, fillet symbol too close to leader break, typ tale is too small and wrong angle between lines)
  8. Explicit quantity for Dummy ‘Assembly parts’ to be an option
  9. Locate Cut Symbols at Points of Cut View Creation
  10. Intelligent Connections to Cambered Plate Girders
  11. Do not dimension bevel in main views
  12. Different Values for X and Y clipping
  13. Dimension hole pattern in beam flanges to first hole only, combination between ordinate and absolute dimensions for cleaner look.
  14. Add bevel for stiffener plates in stiffener macro
  15. Moment Connections-Backing Bar dimensions and alignment-length to be 1” longer by default on each end, moving without exploding is not possible
  16. Sloped hole pattern dimensions to be improved for beam DS when miter cut is minimal
  17. Automatically renumber Cut Views when a Cut View is deleted-option in MT
  18. Oversized holes in Gable wall end connection from the joint macro for ONE ply only
  19. Submitted summarized and added items for Moment Connections W to W-03/2018 both in Herald test and on Idea station
  20. Multi-Labels for Beams-end reactions, shear+moment, camber, shear studs-similar to Revit
  21. Bevel Cut Command-Continuous (at HSS edge at moment connections)
  22. Grid Lines Spacing to be improved-constrain grid to grid by default, move grid by manipulation the constrain dimension
  23. Delete multiple section views at once
  24. Please prevent movement of section views names during update-
  25. Fix Detailing Dialogue once and for all-04/2018-SP, MP, E-dwgs on left, last always on top, enter “Grid Line A” during detail creation
  26. "Create Marking" to be included for through plate connection, not only for shear plates
  27. Through Plate Connection for one beam to column-
  28. Bridge detailing to be improved-o.k.-this may be over the budget-but there is a need for improvements-please see the idea station
  29. Attach grid lines to work planes
  30. Dimension requests-show dimensions schematically-on a sample SP or MP drawing-a simple part with dimension shown where it will placed if we add it to the dimensions requests
  31. Improve aesthetics in labels-these snap to weird locations, overlap, leader has to point at 10-15 degrees increments. Leaders to point at center of hole.
  32. Combine and align AS dimensions
  33. Labels to move with steel when steel is moved on erection drawings-if steel is moved 10’ to the left, labels stay even if they are re-arranged per compass using the new command
  34. AutoCad Block in Detail Title-we need to add attributes and lines to detail titles-attributes may be linked to a new drawing
  35. T.o.s. of Bearing plates in plan
  36. Call-out Detail-Bottom attribute to be centered

Ilko Dimitrov, ACBS

Regards,

Message 28 of 69
Anonymous

You deserve a gold medal for this. I can't say it any better myself, this should all be addressed by 2020 release.

Message 29 of 69
acbsdesign

Thank you, Stephen, I will put it under the tree.

Next-Custom connections organized in folders.

Regards,

Message 30 of 69
markhubrich

Don't forget bolts, anchors, and special parts in KISS export along with fixing the sheet number from getting broken when introducing a letter into the sheet number like, "M220". 😄 Posts on this forum go back to 2016 asking for this to be fixed. 😐 

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 31 of 69
Anonymous
in reply to: markhubrich

We need the AS forum community to upvote this thread and keep it on the main page. This way management is reminded every time they glance the forum.

Message 32 of 69
acbsdesign

79. Remove first and last point for dimensions at grid lines-these are useless.

Remove first dim point at grids.jpg

Regards,

Message 33 of 69
acbsdesign

80. Do not re-generate call-out detail view title during update, it is time wasted first to explode and center the bottom attribute, and second to delete the regenerated block, sometimes we may forget to go back and delete and customer is seeing both fixed detail and regenerated block.

Do not regenerate call-out detail view title.jpg

Regards,

Message 34 of 69

if I select a detail symbol and delete it, then I use the manual update command (like I did if I delete a beam or something in the details) after this the symbol is not appearing again by updating the drawing manual or by the document manager. Another way could be to move it outside the layout area.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 35 of 69

Adding a new detail view on on the same drawing re-generates the block.

Yes, Moving it outside works.

But is this the best Autodesk can do when developing it. 

Call-out detail was well advertised as a great achievement, but basics are not covered.

Both aesthetically and functionality.

Regards,

Message 36 of 69

for sure it had to be development to be more handle. 
Maybe additional to my post before, if you delete it and then use the new "Title" and select the green frame, you could group them with the AutoCAD commands. So if you move the detail, the detailname will move too.

Here's a little screencast (not my best ones =): https://autode.sk/2EhQT9G

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 37 of 69
Anonymous

81. Program randomly unregisters drawings. Our solution so far has been to unregister the drawing again (because if you just register it back in it does not work), and then register the drawing back into the program but the drawings stay in the unregistered folder. Please fix this and make them go back into the normal details folder.

Message 38 of 69
acbsdesign

82. Do not update (mess up) dimensions when drawings are registered

83. Do not move / regenerate default section views when drawings are registered

Regards,

Message 39 of 69
markhubrich

84. Fix "Group Equal Distance" problem. This test shown below has holes spaced evenly at 12.03". Rounding to 1/16" is expected but it should not add up the rounded value to get the overall. 22'-0 11/16" is expected, not 22'-1 3/8".  

groupdims.JPG

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 40 of 69
acbsdesign
in reply to: markhubrich

85. Do not re-generate default dimensions during update: Elevation View -Full dwg style used, dimensions were regenerated per screen shot below (clouded dimensions appeared during update), for complex assemblies this can be a nightmare:

Do not regenerate default dimensions 12 17 18 .jpg

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report